Anderson and Pel

haha, see, everyone has a different story.

Yup... from what i heard, Silva lost one of those fights by decision because he kept sitting whenever Pele clinched him. Pussy move in MT.
But only few people know the truth, i guess.

First of all, Pele was a great fighter, anybody who disagrees didn't follow MMA back then. If you look at the record of somebody and it doesn't have a bunch of bignames, it makes sense because it was in the 1990s... it's all relative.

Secondly, Pele never expanded his game and obviously became a C-level fighter as MMA evolved and more importantly, some of his training habits and physical gifts deteriorated.

To change the topic a bit, to make it more about Anderson's character:
Finally, many people have claimed Anderson to be a scum bag and liar, and he actually got sued for his book by Rudimar Fedrigo (head Chuxe Boxe trainer and kind of a questionable character himself).

Anderson also got "caught' calling Vitor a coward when he forgot he was mic'd up during a UFC filming when he was training with former friend, then enemy, and friend-again Wanderlei Silva.

I also thought the whole debacle with Demian Maia was crazy. After the fight at the post-fight presser, he eventually said he aimed to punish Maia for being "disrespectful" prior to the fights. Interestingly enough, in the Octagon with Joe Rogan, he said he didn

Ellenberger hits harder then Anderson.

Honestly not that crazy of statement... Everyone should know how I feel about Andy.. but Ellenberger, the dude has serious power.

In no way a better "striker' or even better 'stand up' but 1 punch power, it's close

its just my own ignorance becuz pele was before i started really folowwing mma but just looking at his record its seems like he was definitly ona a tear early in his career but in terms of notable wins there doesnt seem to be as many as this thread seems to imply. is this one of thos igor vovcehncian ( sorry for the terrible spelling) type of this where someone was crushing cans and now fond memories and legends have superceeded logic? or was he beating great fighters during his early career and i just dont recognize the names?

How are Matt Hughes, Pat Militech and Alexander Schlemenko not big names? Jorge Patino who was probably his most famous fights in VT is still going too. He's the guy who knocked out Souza when he first transitioned to MMA.

His record is also incomplete. He was a demon in 90's Brazilian VT. Even with what is there, you can see he won 4 or 5 tournies.

Ellenberger hits harder then Anderson.

Ellenberger throws more power shots. That doesn't necessarily mean Anderson CAN'T do the same (and better) he just chooses to be more of a precise, accuracy striker.

Which looking at the Okami, Forrest, Vitor fights. I'd say is usually better than just swinging really hard.

Pele a long time ago was the Man, although his one major weakness was his cardio and that lost him many fights, i remember the Liddell vs Pele fight one of the greatest old school fights I have ever watched.

I think back then Pele would have beat Anderson but now, no chance.

I do think that fight would actually be a way better contest than anyone else Silva has fought in ages though, not knocking any of Silva previous opponents, but Pele would definitely have the best standup out of them all.

never even heard about this stuff, very interesting

its just my own ignorance becuz pele was before i started really folowwing mma but just looking at his record its seems like he was definitly ona a tear early in his career but in terms of notable wins there doesnt seem to be as many as this thread seems to imply. is this one of thos igor vovcehncian ( sorry for the terrible spelling) type of this where someone was crushing cans and now fond memories and legends have superceeded logic? or was he beating great fighters during his early career and i just dont recognize the names?

Back in 2000/2001, when he beat Miletich and Hughes, he was considered a big deal. Then he started losing a lot.

Hah! I'd rather see a street fight in which the loser(Pele) was humiliated and truly put in his place. What an arrogant fool.

If you wasn't watching when Igor was fighting then you shouldn't start talking shit about him crushing cans. The circumstances were a lot different back then. No three month camps, and you had to fight multiple times in a night.

How dare you bash Igor, how dare you!

Sounds like Anderson's security force just barely got there in time.

Igor bashing shouldn't just be a bannable offense. The mods should post your address and every member of the forum should be allowed three unfettered nut shots.

Beat Anderson twice!!! Damn. No wonder Anderson is so touchie...

Back