Ancient Civilzation Conversation: Shermer, Hancock, Carlson - JRE

andnowweknow

Person Woman Man Camera
@Steel
Reaction score
Should be fun...live now. Debate on ancient civilizations and the extinction event at the end of the last ice age.

Shermer and Graham are both exceptional debaters...interested to see when Randall comes in.

Shermer is struggling and regardless of being the minority in the room, his skepticism is sounding pretty much ridiculous now.

He's just said the cave paintings at Lascaux are more impressive than Gobekli Tepe...that's opinion, but that's a stretch and a half given one is done by an individual.

This isn't exactly fair, Shermer isn't an expert, Hancock is on the material at hand.

they need to shift this topic, Shermer is getting crushed by Hancock on a topic he's simply not qualified to debate. Not his fault, but they should just move on.

this is getting ugly hahaha....poor Shermer. This is like an open dialogue in my head. You're welcome.

The frustration that's occurring within Hancock's dome during this discussion, is palpable.

Got tight when Shermer referred to him as "seeming reasonable" LMAO.

The frustration that's occurring within Hancock's dome during this discussion, is palpable.

Got tight when Shermer referred to him as "seeming reasonable" LMAO.
Rogan is actually super on point today though he's being a bit one sided....his wheelhouse is calling out bullshit in general (despite his own) and Shermer is clearly full of shit to some extent today, mostly because he's taken on the persona of "Skeptic" to the point where he decided to debate someone like Hancock who has an enormously deep grasp on the subject that he himself does not.

Last edited:
Big fan of Hancock's general premises, but he just can't control his PTSD from being insulted for his ideas over the years.

Lol why would Shermer even agree to this? I watched the first 2 hours and its been a one sided beatdown.

Lol why would Shermer even agree to this? I watched the first 2 hours and its been a one sided beatdown.
I think he has a sense that all alternative ideas are equally idiotic at some level...there is a big difference between Giorgio Tsukolos from Ancient Aliens and Graham Hancock (trying to debate Hancock on archeology, regardless of his endgame theories, would be a chore for long tenured professional archeologists let alone a novice like Shermer) and Shermer approached this like he was dealing with a nutjob without command of facts. Still worse is thinking he would be able to do anything regarding debating Carlson, who seems to even impress the most ardent of those skeptical of his conclusions with his borderline autistic level of unerstanding and field knowledge in the field of Geology and earth history.

I think he has a sense that all alternative ideas are equally idiotic at some level...there is a big difference between Giorgio Tsukolos from Ancient Aliens and Graham Hancock (trying to debate Hancock on archeology, regardless of his endgame theories, would be a chore for long tenured professional archeologists let alone a novice like Shermer) and Shermer approached this like he was dealing with a nutjob without command of facts. Still worse is thinking he would be able to do anything regarding debating Carlson, who seems to even impress the most ardent of those skeptical of his conclusions with his borderline autistic level of unerstanding and field knowledge in the field of Geology and earth history.
It was pretty funny how Shermer's geologist buddy seemed to be pretty damn impressed with Carlson by the end. But he still seemed to be pretty dismissive of Hancock. I never could understand why many people treat the lost civilization theory the same way as "aliens built the pyramids".

It was pretty funny how Shermer's geologist buddy seemed to be pretty damn impressed with Carlson by the end. But he still seemed to be pretty dismissive of Hancock. I never could understand why many people treat the lost civilization theory the same way as "aliens built the pyramids".

Carlson is simply an overflow, pun intended, of deep knowledge in many areas of actual science. Rare that someone has that depth of field experience and knowledge on top of knowing subjects as complicated as geology, extraterrestrial objects AND something like earth history. Shermer's Geologist dismissed Hancock generally which was a mistake, but his critique of the 2012 nonsense and the that sort of thing were valid against Graham. Graham is a vicitim of his own success in many ways. All in all I thought that Shermer's collegue was fine, if not a bit arrogant, but again, Graham has said some things in the past that deserve derision. Graham is a VERY successful author and he caters to a crossover crowd of people, that crossover includes 2012 type people so him getting wrapped up in that nonsense is somewhat understandable though clearly wrong.

Graham's lost civilization hypothesis is way more reasonable than the alternative, namely that there was never advancement in human civilization to a high level until modern sumer and Egypt DESPITE the fact we are at least 180k years old as a modern human species...that makes zero sense that we would not have advanced and declined probably a numerous times. Also, you have to define advanced...Randall suggesting Minoawan level advancement sounds UBER reasonable, perhaps multiple times in the unrecorded past I would think. Once you start suggesting late 1800's level advancement and beyond, it gets a little sketchier but not crazy.

When Carlson and the geologist were going DEEP into the geology vernacular I know Rogan was<24>

That stuff flew right over my head for a good 5 minutes.

When Carlson and the geologist were going DEEP into the geology vernacular I know Rogan was<24>

That stuff flew right over my head for a good 5 minutes.
Drumlins and eskers bro...I follow the subject relatively well and the issue of the finger lakes being caused by such and such vs that and the other was completely beyond me. Randall's composite understanding of multiple disciplines seems to be impressive to even the most specialized scientists.

In general, I had a poor opinion of Shermer before this podcast, I actually really like him now and I understand his process much better.

Last edited:
I've listened to about an hour of this.

I enjoy Graham Hancocks books but he can be fairly painful to listen to. He seriously needs to get over the fact that archaeologists haven't got time for him. He sounds a bit upset lol. Usually he seems pretty cool. Carlson on the other hand, though he hasn't said much, is just calmly making his argument without trying to score points. Cool guy.

Sterner seems to be making the occams razor argument, the evidence can be more simply explained than proposing some unknown civilization that handed down it's advanced ways. I dont know a lot about it other than what i've read in Hancocks books but Shermers points seems fair imo. Hancock is speculating and he admits as much.

fuc ckkkkck mystieries of ancient civs, thats my shit

will listen to the entire thing today while pretending to work

ancientalien.jpg

pls discuss how so many civs with 0 contact had the same stories about dragons, gods from the sky, an evil in the underworld etc.

Probably my favorite episode. I was impressed with Shermer admitting when he was in the wrong. Good shit. Now he needs to get Carlson on with the coyote guy.

Back