Analysis of Alvarez vs McGregor

That was definitely an intended check.

I don't think it was. From his body language you can tell it wasn't. If you think it is intended I don't know what to say.

First he moved his head back expecting a punch then his hands reacted like he was expecting a body kick - look at his lead/rear hand.

It just so happened his rear foot went back & then his lead leg was slightly off the ground.

But no I'm pretty sure that was unintended. But what does it even matter anyway.

I don't think it was. From his body language you can tell it wasn't. If you think it is intended I don't know what to say.

First he moved his head back expecting a punch then his hands reacted like he was expecting a body kick - look at his lead/rear hand.

It just so happened his rear foot went back & then his lead leg was slightly off the ground.

But no I'm pretty sure that was unintended. But what does it even matter anyway.
It's called covering all your bases, a very basic thing to do when checking any kick. And it matters because it means he didn't just "get lucky" that Eddie smashes his foot into his shin, he made it worse for Eddie with his actions.

That's very clearly McGregor starting to pull from what he thinks is a right hand before quickly picking up his front leg for an awkward check when he realizes it's a kick coming. There's absolutely no way that wasn't intentional, it was just last minute and honestly a testament to how McGregor is always using his eyes.

Everything Alvarez tried to do got him hurt. It's no mystery why his game plan fell apart.

The funny thing is almost every single one of McGregor's knockouts and knockdowns has come when guys were circling away from his left hand or trying to step outside his lead foot.

I think that just comes naturally to him, since he's made a career out of slipping the right cross and coming back with the left cross vs ortho.

When doing what he does normally he practically puts himself into that position anyways.

It just goes to show, the best examples to draw on for how orthodox should fight southpaw, is how southpaws fights orthodox.

Its an interesting dynamic to me. I'm sure he spends a lot of time on that particular wrinkle; i personally think centering on the lead (in both using and abusing) is very important; but perhaps in McGregor's mind he does not consider pokes 'real', in the sense that he (rightly or wrongly) does not fear getting flatlined by them. Whereas, the trail hand *does* have the greater potential of laying someone out. So the theory goes, by centering your training time on the trail hand dynamics, you minimize your chances of receiving a mortal strike, while maximizing your chances of dealing the opponent a mortal strike. Or iow, taking the 'punchers chance', and turning it into an art.

God help me, now I'm actually kinda interested in seeing how the McGregor/Mayweather matchup would play out.

How bout it, think muay thai rules would be an acceptable compromise?

Last edited:
That's very clearly McGregor starting to pull from what he thinks is a right hand before quickly picking up his front leg for an awkward check when he realizes it's a kick coming. There's absolutely no way that wasn't intentional, it was just last minute and honestly a testament to how McGregor is always using his eyes.

Everything Alvarez tried to do got him hurt. It's no mystery why his game plan fell apart.
He did drop him once when he timed his leg kick well, someone with a solid kicking game who actually lands with the shin might be able to exploit that. Honestly Eddie had nothing on the feet, his only chance was taking him down, I was expecting him to shut down McGregor like he did with Pettis, but he couldnt even do that.

On another note, was not expecting Woodley to catch Wonderboy that clean...

It's called covering all your bases, a very basic thing to do when checking any kick. And it matters because it means he didn't just "get lucky" that Eddie smashes his foot into his shin, he made it worse for Eddie with his actions.

Fair enough.

I'm not saying McGregor didn't make it worse for Eddie that goes without saying. The footage is there. But why don't you check the 1st min of the 1st round or even the whole fight and tell me that Eddie didn't smash his foot into McGregors shin even once. It's dishonest to pretend as though McGregor made Eddie do that - nah it's because Eddie didn't throw the kick at the right range or in the right way.

You don't even have to check my leg, if we are both southpaw & you're more sideways - it goes without saying that if I'm in line with you & throw an inside leg kick I will smash my foot on your shin 9 times out of 10. You don't even have to check anything for me to hit it - 9/10 times I come out worse for wear.

McGregor didn't even have to do nothing - he didn't even need to "check" that kick in the above gif - it would have still hit Conor's shin and it would have been worse for Eddie in both situations. So no as far as the checking goes McGregor didn't really have to do much - Eddie quite clearly did most of the damage himself.

If you look at that footage and tell me "it means he didn't just get lucky that Eddie smashes his foot into his shin" - you have no idea how the inside leg kick game works. If you can't see Eddie making mistake after mistake with each of those inside leg kicks - hell if you want I'll point them out to you. Just find me the gifs (because I have no idea where you guys get them from).

Alvarez either had a poor game plan or wasn't following one at all. He says he wasn't following what they worked on and I'm inclined to believe him because every time he closed the distance successfully against McGregor he made no attempt to transition to wrestling, stayed in the pocket, threw an awful shot in an awful position, got into bad positions and was made to pay for it.

The inside leg kicks though is why I'm certain that he was working on instinct rather than a game plan because I don't think his team are clueless about how inside leg kicks should be thrown.

He did drop him once when he timed his leg kick well, someone with a solid kicking game who actually lands with the shin might be able to exploit that. Honestly Eddie had nothing on the feet, his only chance was taking him down, I was expecting him to shut down McGregor like he did with Pettis, but he couldnt even do that.

On another note, was not expecting Woodley to catch Wonderboy that clean...

I don't think there are really solid inside leg kickers in MMA right now - not that I have seen anyway. It's probably among the best weapons to deal with that sideways stance & those who like to throw those rears/crosses if you know how to use it properly. I think someone who is an ambidextrous kicker will have a better chance.

I have to rate McGregor though - he does a great job of making opponents having to deal with his strengths and a great job of preventing them from getting to his weaknesses.

I don't think there are really solid inside leg kickers in MMA right now - not that I have seen anyway. It's probably among the best weapons to deal with that sideways stance & those who like to throw those rears/crosses if you know how to use it properly

I think an outside leg kick is better for that type of stance. Harder to check, and also you make your opponent balance shift his back towards you, making it harder for him to use the rear hand. The problem is that McGregor is a southpaw, so you have to find a good southpaw kicker for that.

Back