An easy plan to eradicate weight cutting completely.

I know about it. My solution is better and ultimately easier for everybody involved.
actually, i don't think your system of multiple random weigh-ins across many months is easier than hydration tests at weigh-in and fight time.

OneFC looked around and concluded everyone was cutting 10-20 more than they should. so they moved everyone up a division. a small handful of fighters petitioned to move back down because they weren't doing extreme cutting, and with hydration tests, proved it. everyone else now still fights each other, just 10-20lbs heavier. 190lb guys are fighting each other at 185 instead of at 170.

easy.

but it (and your) solution is much harder with AC's. being from Holland (or maybe South Africa, the only two places people speak Dutch ;) ) you may not know how the states and the State Athletic Commissions work, so just trust me when i say, whatever solution is settled on, it will be exponentially more complicated, politically, to get it working everywhere. whereas One FC owns their own rules and regulations, so it was relatively simple to implement.

I'll tell you what TS. A for effort and trying SOMETHING.

What the UFC has in place since the I.V. ban (and USADA) is not working. Look at the disparity in people missing weight before and after. Its incredible.

Yes, people should not cheat. But it just crazy how often weight is missed and or people having major issues around their cuts.

Why can't they bring back the I.V.'s and have UFC approved docs and med staff administer the hydration so there is no funny business?

What the UFC has in place since the I.V. ban (and USADA) is not working. Look at the disparity in people missing weight before and after. Its incredible.

Yes, people should not cheat. But it just crazy how often weight is missed and or people having major issues around their cuts.

Why can't they bring back the I.V.'s and have UFC approved docs and med staff administer the hydration so there is no funny business?
because USADA uses WADA and IV is not allowed.

can UFC hire USADA and ask them "we'd like to hire you to do 9/10th of what you do". maybe USADA will create different guidelines for different clients.

but my guess is they won't. and if my guess is correct, then dumping the IV ban means dumping USADA.

actually, i don't think your system of multiple random weigh-ins across many months is easier than hydration tests at weigh-in and fight time.
It is not across many months. Just within 4 weeks of the fight. And once the system is in place a fighter has to be in their weight class during those 4 weeks at all times. That is when USADA random PED tests. During fight week. During the weigh ins and at fight time. So weight cutting is litterally not possible anymore. It is clear for fighters, for the fans, for anyone involved.

Impossible. You are not allowed to weigh over the limit within 4 weeks before the fight and there are random checks.

Some guys dont read or think before they post. You will die of you try do that for 4 weeks straight.

Make the weigh inns 4 hrs before the fight. Same day weigh inns and fights should curb the gaining of weight too. The problem is, you have to have some replacements ready for any failures to make weight. If they are not needed they get paid for camp and expenses. Something has to be done. If you don't make weight, you should pay a much steeper fine or a 6 month suspension etc.

^^^^

This...

They have had damn few fight cancellations compared to the UFC (mind you they have a much smaller number of fights).

but One's primary method of detecting if fighters are cutting or dehydrated is specific gravity test which is so easy to fool its not even funny. Anyone who has wrestled can pass a s/g test with ease

they havnt eradicated weight cutting, they have just given the impression that they have

because USADA uses WADA and IV is not allowed.

can UFC hire USADA and ask them "we'd like to hire you to do 9/10th of what you do". maybe USADA will create different guidelines for different clients.

but my guess is they won't. and if my guess is correct, then dumping the IV ban means dumping USADA.

whats iv's got to do with anything?

iv's had no impact on weight cuts, and theres no evidence that oral rehydration is any less effective than iv

I find it hilarious how people here are trying to find ways to stop weight cutting when OneFC already did it. It's like people trying to invent the Internet in 2018.

whats iv's got to do with anything?

iv's had no impact on weight cuts, and theres no evidence that oral rehydration is any less effective than iv
i was responding to someone who said IV's have ruined everything, and if they remove the ban, cats and dogs will get along, all lawyers will die, and rainbows of skittles for all.

i simply said they cannot just remove the iv ban is all.

but you're the expert. if i'm wrong (i suggested that they cannot remove the IV ban without dumping USADA, because USADA uses WADA which outlaws IV bans) then let me know. but it sounds like you're saying the other guy is wrong, not me.

Last edited:

agreed

bring back IVs

anecdotally, fighters seem to miss them

I don't follow ONE FC. assuming that you do, how well do you think it has worked?
i read somewhere that fighters like it (i thought it was an mmajunkie "how is it going after 2 years" analysis type article) but i cannot find that article right now.

so i found this instead. https://www.mmamania.com/2017/5/25/15693052/one-championship-abolished-weight-cutting-in-mma.

having followed it barely (which means exponentially more than most sherdoggers), everyone involved seems to think it's working just fine.

however, OneFC is unregulated, and they do some stuff behind the scenes which bothers many. apparently weight ins are not public. that sort of thing. of course with AC's regulating it, that wouldn't happen. but it allows detractors to say 'therefore, we don't really know if it's working or not, because for all we know they're shooting em full of HGH back there...."

Old system with weight cutting
FlW 125, BW 135, FW 145, LW 155, WW 170, MW 185, LHW 205, HW 265

New system without weight cutting
FlW 140, BW 150, FW 160, LW 170, WW 187, MW 205, LHW 225, HW 265

Phase 1. 6 months.

From 4 weeks before a fight fighters will be weighed at random times just to monitor their weight.
Pre fight day a weigh in as usual according the old system.
Just before fight time the fighter is weighed again and this weight will also be announced to the public.

Phase 2. 6 months

From 4 weeks before a fight fighters will be weighed at random times. Fighters are not allowed to weigh over the new weight limits and get monetary penalties for each pound over.
Pre fight day a weigh in as usual according the old system. Fighters still cut as usual.
Just before fight time the fighter is weighed again and this weight will also be announced to the public.

Phase 3. The new system is in place.

From 4 weeks before a fight fighters will be weighed at random times. Fighters are not allowed to weigh over the new weight limits and get monetary penalties for each pound over.
Pre fight day a weigh in based on the new weight limits. Fighters should be all comfortable at around their natural weight so no cutting of weight.

In principle all fighters should be capable to remain in their original class. Perhaps the numbers for the new weight limits need to be tweeked. That can be done in fase 1.

So what would the transition to the new system look like for for instance Tyrone the WW champ.
In phase 1 he can choose to do everything as usual. The public however will know exactly what he weighs at fight time and how much he cut.
In phase 2 from 4 weeks before the fight he is not allowed to weigh over 187. He will get random checks and get a monetary penalty for exceeding the limit. A day before the fight he has to weigh in at 170 as usual. At fight time he has to be under or at 187.
In phase 3 the new system is in place and from 4 weeks before the fight all he has to do is never weigh over 187.

I like it.
I also like this:

IMO MMA should ban Weight cutting. It benefits no one (if everyone does it), and there are only bad things from it.

Adapt weight classes and be done with it!

Why the ACs support this culture of weight-cutting is absolutely beyond me, irrational and irresponsible as hell.
T-1 weigh-in forces all fighters to cut weight in order to not be at a disadvantage come fight time while all it does is put fighters' health at risk and negatively affect their performance.
Only reason the ACs won't change the rules is to avoid a negative impact on UFCs financial performance. That is not their purpose though and this factor should be secondary to fighters' health.

All fighters are going to cut weight and rehydrate, that's a given. You're not going to stop it, and to be fair, depending on circumstances it's not even a big deal. It's the massive weight cutters that are the ones physically at risk and the repeat offenders. They want to cut the most weight they possibly can to give themselves the biggest perceived advantage during the fight.

I've long been in favor of using "day of" weigh-ins to go along with the normal weigh-in procedures currently in place. Instead of using the low end of the current weight class as the determining factor as to which weight class a fighter competes at, use the top end of the following weight class. Sorry (in advance) if there's any misunderstanding by me not explaining concisely, but hopefully most follow it.

As an example... a welterweight fighter weighs in at 170lbs, but walks around at say 190/195. He's great at what he does, and hasn't missed weight before, and by the time he rehydrates he's back up to 190. Essentially, you've got a LHW fighting at 170. Use the "1lb less" of the following weight class as the max someone can be to fight at 170. If a fighter wants to fight at 170, the max he can be walking into the cage for the fight is 184lbs. If he comes in over, he forfeits a percentage of his purse to his opponent. Obviously this system only targets MW and down, but most LHW's can afford to lose and gain larger amounts of weight during cuts than the smaller guys. Honestly, I can't think of the last time a HW missed weight.

Now, this isn't going to automatically make a bunch of fighters change weight classes, but over time, I think you'd end up seeing the WW fighters walking around at 185-190lbs instead of 190-200lbs. They'd still be fighting at WW, just with a smaller weight cut, which in theory, should be healthier and less of a stress on the body. Or the FW's walking around at 155ish instead of 160+lbs. Some WW might want to be 190-195, and they can just move up to MW.

Really, I'm just spit-balling here, because there's no real way to stop or eradicate weight cutting. It's going to happen no matter what. Was just an idea.

Back