Amtrak Derails in Washington State.

MusterX

Titanium Belt
@Titanium
Reaction score
Damn, I hope the casualty numbers don't go any higher. Amtrak seems to derail about once a decade.

DUPONT, Wash., Dec 18 (Reuters) - An Amtrak train derailed on Monday in Washington state during its inaugural run on a faster route from Seattle to Portland, Oregon, sending passenger cars tumbling from a bridge onto a major highway, killing at least three riders and injuring about 100 people.

Thirteen of the train's 14 cars jumped the tracks, Washington State Patrol spokeswoman Brooke Bova said. Five vehicles and two trucks were involved in the accident, and the highway was littered with fragments of the bridge and tree branches. Some motorists were injured but none died, authorities said.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/a...e-several-killed/ar-BBGYGOH?OCID=ansmsnnews11

171218134035-18-wa-amtrak-crash-1218-exlarge-169.jpg

Wonder how proud "LABRAT KNATS" feels with his tag right now. Crazy only 3 announced dead so far, thats a hell of a wreck. I seen unbreakable and they are lucky.

I was going to ask you who Labrat Knats was then I noticed it on the bridge. Labrat is probably liking it.

Seems like every year this happens. Doesn't really make me feel better about taking an Amtrak to NY on Friday.

Seems like every year this happens. Doesn't really make me feel better about taking an Amtrak to NY on Friday.
amtrak and metrolink accidents actually happen a few times a year in california and in florida. I actually quit using metrolink.

those cops and firemen must be seeing some gruesome things.

Sounds like a case of someone being really stupid. Did they test that route with similar weight prior to carrying passengers?

Still statistically safer than taking a car. You'll be a'ight.

Now I'm really glad I didn't take one for this holiday either. Fuck.

This train fell onto I-5, the busiest interstate on the west coast. It will be closed for a few days. The crazy thing is this was he trains first day on a new route. Its been controversial, with local towns saying there will be a major accident, due to no new safety features on route. Train was also going 82mph with a max speed limit of 79.

Correction NTSB has just determined, the train was suppose to going be only 30mph, but somehow entered a sharp turn at over 80 mph

Correction NTSB has just determined, the train was suppose to going be only 30mph, but somehow entered a sharp turn at over 80 mph

What in the actual fuck? Isn't the Conductor supposed to know to slow down?

Should just walk (very cautiously) instead. It's safer and better for the environment

Sounds like a case of someone being really stupid. Did they test that route with similar weight prior to carrying passengers?

They did test the route and the people on that train said they never felt any danger at that point but were probably going the speed limit.

My question would be why do they have a 30 mph section in the middle of an 80 mph section? Don't they know how to build a proper railroad? That's like having a roundabout on an 80 mph highway.

They did test the route and the people on that train said they never felt any danger at that point but were probably going the speed limit.

My question would be why do they have a 30 mph section in the middle of an 80 mph section? Don't they know how to build a proper railroad? That's like having a roundabout on an 80 mph highway.

Either cost-limited by topography or they had to route around existing property/infrastructure. I deal with it all the time, design always has to be a compromise, especially in developed areas.

Police have released a photo of a person of interest wanted for questioning in relation to the crash:

jbH8nvl.jpg

Back