Amidst the lack of PPV draws, do you think USADA/the UFC will play it nice with Jon 'Bones' Jones?

In light of the recent news about the secretive USADA UFC testing pool where no one's allowed to know who's on the list and who's not at any given moment, I wouldn't be surprised if Jones is let back quick. Like maybe it was a clerical error and it was John Jones that failed the test, not Jon Jones.

He'd still be under contract. Nobody would touch him.

No way any court upholds a contract that leaves a perfectly employable person unemployable for four years.....

But I'm not dumb enough to think the UFC hasnt thought of this.....

Jon Jones wont get a day over 2 years from USADA and the CSAC suspension will be identical.....

But if things work as they should, and Jones is given a four-year suspension, he will fight for his release and win.

There are plenty of orgs that dont have to honor a suspension arbitrarily given by a private company. And if Jones is willing to fight overseas, plenty of orgs outside the jurisdiction of the CSAC willing to not honor a foreign doping suspension.

No way on earth would any labor judge allow a contracting partner to enforce an exclusivity clause with the SOLE INTENT of keeping someone unemployed for four years without paying them.....if the UFC wants to shelf Jones for four years, they would have to pay him for it....which i dont think theyd be willing to do......

In light of the recent news about the secretive USADA UFC testing pool where no one's allowed to know who's on the list and who's not at any given moment, I wouldn't be surprised if Jones is let back quick. Like maybe it was a clerical error and it was John Jones that failed the test, not Jon Jones.

If promoters have this much power over USADA, I wonder how many times Mayweather promotions has decided to remove mayweather from the testing pool.....

i hope not. dude is an embarassment

Sherdog is amazing. I just read that being against PEDs in a combat sport is being anti-science and technology.

What happened to the fans that cared about martial arts roots, that involves respect, integrity and discipline?
Steroids doesn't belong in MMA. They're unfair, immoral and unhealthy. Just because a fuck up like Jones does, doesn't mean it is right or that should be legal.
Jones should be banned for life and he is not the most talented guy to ever do it by any means. It's probably DJ, the true model of this sport and the top P4P, never tested positive for anything.

Fucking rights my man!

Dont ever ever mention Jones in the same sentence as Gsp...let alone Conor who's on another stratosphere

Jones averaged a pathetic 500k buys a PPV

Jones was actually one of the worst drawing LHW champs in history

UFC could give two shits about Jones lol.

UFC actually lost money on most cards with Jones as main event due to Jones pathetic drawing ability

Jones isn't even a top 5 draw in MMA lol

And sorry but Jones was also DISQUALIFIED from any GOAT talks due to his tests

Read the article again. There is no evidence of secret testing pool or that anyone has ever avoided testing.

There is just the potential for ufc to expempt a returning fighter from the six month return to pool period

No way any court upholds a contract that leaves a perfectly employable person unemployable for four years.....

But I'm not dumb enough to think the UFC hasnt thought of this.....

Jon Jones wont get a day over 2 years from USADA and the CSAC suspension will be identical.....

But if things work as they should, and Jones is given a four-year suspension, he will fight for his release and win.

There are plenty of orgs that dont have to honor a suspension arbitrarily given by a private company. And if Jones is willing to fight overseas, plenty of orgs outside the jurisdiction of the CSAC willing to not honor a foreign doping suspension.

No way on earth would any labor judge allow a contracting partner to enforce an exclusivity clause with the SOLE INTENT of keeping someone unemployed for four years without paying them.....if the UFC wants to shelf Jones for four years, they would have to pay him for it....which i dont think theyd be willing to do......
Nobody is denying him the right to be employed

They would be denying him the right to compete in their sports league due to cheating.

Nothing whatsoever stopping him getting a job.

He just can't compete in sport

Ps. Thousands upon thousands of athletes have been banned from competing in sport over the last thirty years.

Show me an example of courts ruling it unfair and insisting those athletes can still compete

If you believe in the conspiracy that USADA and WME are somehow working together, sure. Otherwise, why would they?

Jon Jones, besides being the arguably the most talented fighter to ever step in the Octagon - is also one of the hugest PPV draws, ranking below only Conor, GSP, Ronda and maybe Brock. Unfortunately, these fighters are either retired or on the shelf. Jon Jones is the only fighter fit to fight, besides Conor.
The UFC is a business after all, if this moral crusade against steroids starts hurting their profits, they'll certainly act against it. IMO Jon Jones gets a retroactive 1 year suspension, and will be able to fight again for the company in late 2018. What do you think?

he has to get past USADA regarding his latest drug fuck up. even if he proves it was another tainted supplement he will be punished for not havinf his sketchy supps/drugs checked first.

Nobody is denying him the right to be employed

They would be denying him the right to compete in their sports league due to cheating.

Nothing whatsoever stopping him getting a job.

He just can't compete in sport

Ps. Thousands upon thousands of athletes have been banned from competing in sport over the last thirty years.

Show me an example of courts ruling it unfair and insisting those athletes can still compete

Jones wouldnt be 'banned from sport' if USADA gave him four years. He would only be banned from the UFC. Lots of other orgs would be willing to employ him.

Exclusivity clauses are to individually retain someones business in the case of independent contractors. However in this case, if jones recieves a four year suspension, the UFC would not be able to promote Jones anywhere without risking their promoters licenses in the states.

A fighter is able to fight overseas even if they are suspended in the US, and a reasonable promotion would allow the fighter to take fights overseas for the duration if the suspension seemed long. This actually happened not long ago with Shlemenko and Bellator.

One or two companies in the USA dont get to decide a fighters global employability. A contract clause used to retain a fighters services, not pay them, and keep them from working elsewhere would be considered
unenforcable.

The UFC would likely either

a) Aloow Jones to fight overseas for other promotions (as Bellator did with Shlemenko)

b) Cut him immediately (which i expect in a four-year suspension scenario)

c) Prepare for a short court battle (as the material facts of the case would not be disputed by either side) where Jones is granted his release.

An independent contracting partner cannot leave you contractually unemployed and take your business off the market. That would be an insane (and unfair) power that no judge would allow. It would be like Jones being able to tell the UFC they cant promote a show until they offer him a fight.

In other sports, the fundamental structure is different.

EDIT: But once again, i do believe the UFC understands this, will talk to their 'independent drug testing agency' whom they pay.....and Jones doesnt get 4 years. 2 Maximum, which will be mimicked by the CSAC....

Last edited:
TBH, i dont even like that they postponed the hearing until february....

Keep in mind he has 2 suspensions coming, one from USADA and one from the commission.

If USADA hits him with a 4 year suspension, expect him to leave the UFC.....
you're being too optimistic with him leaving the UFC

I think a tainted supplement will reduce his penalty to time served. It takes time to verify these things. I'm being serious.

Yes. I would expect most people to get at least two or three years for this level of fuck-up.

I wouldn't be surprised if Jones gets one year.

EDIT: But once again, i do believe the UFC understands this, will talk to their 'independent drug testing agency' whom they pay.....and Jones doesnt get 4 years. 2 Maximum, which will be mimicked by the CSAC....

You do realise that it isnt USADA who decide how long a ban Jones gets right? They dont decide it.

You know its McClaren Group that decide that?

- Their head Richard McClaren may sound familiar, hes the one who conducted the investigation into Russian doping for WADA

Good luck buying off Richard McClaren.. if Vladimir Putin couldnt I very much doubt Dana White can

You do realise that it isnt USADA who decide how long a ban Jones gets right? They dont decide it.

You know its McClaren Group that decide that?

- Their head Richard McClaren may sound familiar, hes the one who conducted the investigation into Russian doping for WADA

Good luck buying off Richard McClaren.. if Vladimir Putin couldnt I very much doubt Dana White can
good post, you dinner fork

I think a tainted supplement will reduce his penalty to time served. It takes time to verify these things. I'm being serious.

And it would be the first supplement EVER to be contaminated with Turinabol (Where it wasnt obvious from the labelling or ingredients)

If Jones team find a genuine, non high-risk supplement, contaminated with Turinabol it will be a world first..

Back