American perspectives on the Falklands War?

RoadWarrior1**

Blue Belt
Reaction score

Do Americans respect or condemn Britain for the Falklands War?

A%20line%20of%20British%20soldiers%20in%20camouflage%20advancing%20during%20the%20Falklands%20War

In Britain its represented as Britain handling her business and freeing the Islanders, who democratically were British and who had been attacked in an act of aggression by the Argentines, who were an authoritarian government.

Part of the story was American efforts to dissuade the UK, and instead Thatcher standing tall against her government and going in anyways.

Its a cool story.

article-1249540-005BFA28000004B0-282_634x603.jpg

American perspectives?

Britain actually came very close to losing that war. The fleet only had fuel, ammunition and supplies for a few more weeks when it ended. If they had lost anymore ships, they would have to turn around and go home.

Britain actually came very close to losing that war. The fleet only had fuel, ammunition and supplies for a few more weeks when it ended. If they had lost anymore ships, they would have to turn around and go home.

The history of war is full of almosts.

Our stance has not change.

QUESTION: Does the U.S. take a position on the recent posturing between the United Kingdom and Argentina over the Falklands?

ANSWER: This is a bilateral issue that needs to be worked out directly between the governments of Argentina and the United Kingdom. We encourage both parties to resolve their differences through dialogue in normal diplomatic channels.

We recognize de facto United Kingdom administration of the islands but take no position regarding sovereignty.

http://www.state.gov/md182294.htm

Considering the once-proud British Royal Navy has been decimated by their own government, while Argentina's economy is basically in the toilet, there wouldn't be any serious military conflicts again any time soon.

My personal stance: What a bullshit war that was. IMO, the British were right to defend their territory and thus were correct to react the way they did.

However, in the greater scheme of things, the Falklands being British is a remnant of the past colonial times. I think there should be a smart solution to this - e.g. make a Hongkong-type agreement, only in reverse.

Given the severe advantage the UK had they did pretty bad. I recall a shit load of their Royal Marines got captured as well. And this is the war that made "carrying heavy shit a long way" part of the RM's curriculum.

I got no problem with what the British did in this situation and support their right to protect their people.

The Falklands have no right to be British. They wouldn't give two shits about that island if there wasn't oil in that ocean.

If I was Argentine I would be pissed that an island of 5,000 has rights to offshore oil in my waters.

I hope one day Argentina can take it back.

I recall a shit load of their Royal Marines got captured as well

You thinking of the 22 soldiers on South Georgia?
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...nians-disabled-warship-eve-Falklands-War.html

Or the 80 man garrison that surrendered to the initial 4,500 Argentine invasion force?
http://www.raf.mod.uk/history/TheArgentineInvasion-2ndApril1982.cfm

Best thing to happen to the islanders was that war, they now have control over their fishing rights and their territorial waters' which they never had before it. They are also a lot better defended, there's now an airport with fast jets and helicopters plus submarine patrols. Argentina would find it more difficult to invade next time.

And this is very sad. The UK should be able to project enough power to protect their territory. I'm sure we could rent them a carrier or two.

The Falklands have no right to be British. They wouldn't give two shits about that island if there wasn't oil in that ocean.

If I was Argentine I would be pissed that an island of 5,000 has rights to offshore oil in my waters.

I hope one day Argentina can take it back.

I guess it's not Argentina's water then.

Argentine land. Colonized by British. Obviously citizens identify as British, doesn't change the fact they are just colonists/transplants.

Too bad international law operates at the barrel of a gun

Its a barren rock though so who cares (unless there is oil in sea area?) - in which case, they will never get it back

Argentine land. Colonized by British. Obviously citizens identify as British, doesn't change the fact they are just colonists/transplants.

Its a barren rock though so who cares (unless there is oil in sea area?) - in which case, they will never get it back

The islands were uninhabited until Europeans found them. Argentina have never owned them and they are 300 miles away from their coast. Whilst they the nearest county, they are hardly in their territorial waters.

Not all ownership of islands is down to whose is the nearest country.

So I'm not sure in what way it's "Argentinian land".

When is the US giving back Hawaii and of I guess most of the mainland to the native Americans? Should we reset all the world's borders back a few hundred years to some arbitrary point?

Whereas the Argentinians are not colonists and transplants? But rather the indigenous inhabitants of the Falklands?

ALL law operates at the barrel of a gun.

I'll summarize the real American's perspective on the Falklands war:

Never heard of it.

Whereas the Argentinians are not colonists and transplants? But rather the indigenous inhabitants of the Falklands?

Argentinians are largely Spanish invaders aren't they? With a spattering of Nazi's.

Those rocks had been discovered and colonized by French/British/Spaniards and wars almost broke out between them before there's such a thing as "Argentina" on the world map.

Argentina's claim is essentially based on Spain's colonization.

I was usually "Fuck Argentina" when it came to the Falklands (or Malvinas as to not to offend any possible argentinian sherdog resident), but once the British tried to claim a massive chunk of what its basically Argentinian economic exclusive waters im now leaning towards the fuck UK side. Seriously, i agree its a piece of rock with little people on it, but as off now, its just an excuse to exploit argentinian waters.

Also give back Gibraltar, Iberia for Iberians (nah just kidding, fuck Spain).

The same way Cuba really belongs to the U.S. after all it only 90 miles from the U.S., so it should be ours right.

Back