American media double standard with Chael Sonnen

Chael got cleared to fight in the states, Vitor has been forced to fight in Brazil because he can't get leagally cleared.

Will Vitor fans stop whining about this already?
There are people who think both are bullshit. Chael is still labeled a "Roider", and it was your homeboy Vitor that pissed hot in the past, not Chael.

/thread

Maybe because it's the AMERICAN media. Maybe Americans are sick of the Brazil fighters whining about fighting other Brazilian fighters, whining about any illusion of disrespect for their country, and that they can't take a joke.

I have never heard an "American" fighter say he wouldn't fight another "American" fighter, take constant disrespect about the U.S., and tend to either shrug off "American" jokes or in turn tell a joke about the other guys country where the guy gets all butthurt.

I've never really been nationalistic but things are getting so stupid these days that I think it's about time America gets some pride back. Since we're the #1 country in the world, every so often, we have to remind others we're on top of the hill.

Edit: And I agree with De Speeit

Last edited:
not true, he hasnt applied to fight in the states for the last several fights because the events were in brazil and toronto, and it was only vegas that said they may not license him but no other state said that, so suck an egg

Well why do you think he's not wanting to fight in the states at the moment? Bit like why Overeem didn't fight over here for so long possibly?

What are you talking about? People have been shitting on Chael for years.
I'm not saying anyone deserves anything, i'm saying that Chael is abiding by the rules and according the NSAC, Vitor is not. Dana himself said Vitor is using it as a true PED.

It's not a "BS Licence" and if Vitor can't even get a "BS licence" what does that tell you?
Just ask for this thread to be deleted, you're rambling about nothing.

You are closing your eyes if you do not see the double standards. I am not talking about people ranting in Sherdog. I am talking about the American media. I gave 4 articles about how they were forgiving Chael the VERY NEXT FIGHT after he was caught cheating.
And yet now, the very same media bashes Vitor in every single article.

If you don't see the double standards in this I don't know what to say.

Good point.

Hendo, Mir, Sonnen and Forrest are all on it, yet they are not bombarded with those questions after a win.The issue is with the people granting folks TRT exemptions.

Sonnen, as mentioned above, has a medical issue, and Forrest said that he lost one of his testicles in a power lifting accident, though it's hard to say whether he was joking or not (dude has a weird sense of humor.)

Vitor isn't licensed in Nevada, Zuffa's home base of operations, which should ring alarm bells right there, also Vitor has seen a career explosion as of late, while those guys are struggling to get by, and Belfort also already has the history of roid use against him. Not hating on Vitor, I think everyone but Sonnen and, if the story is true, Forrest's TRT use is bs, but this shouldn't come as a shock to his fans that people are pissed. TRT is a pretty hot button issue right now in MMA.

Maybe because it's the AMERICAN media. Maybe Americans are sick of the Brazil fighters whining about fighting other Brazilian fighters, whining about any illusion of disrespect for their country, and that they can't take a joke.

I have never heard an "American" fighter say he wouldn't fight another "American" fighter, take constant disrespect about the U.S., and tend to either shrug off "American" jokes or in turn tell a joke about the other guys country where the guy gets all butthurt.

I've never really been nationalistic but things are getting so stupid these days that I think it's about time America gets some pride back. Since we're the #1 country in the world, every so often, we have to remind others we're on top of the hill.

Well, OK at least you have the courage to call it the way it is instead of trying to use BS arguments for why this is different.

You are closing your eyes if you do not see the double standards. I am not talking about people ranting in Sherdog. I am talking about the American media. I gave 4 articles about how they were forgiving Chael the VERY NEXT FIGHT after he was caught cheating.
And yet now, the very same media bashes Vitor in every single article.

If you don't see the double standards in this I don't know what to say.

It's not a double standard.
Chael got caught using TRT improperly, got suspended, served a SHORTENED suspension because the CSAC found that there was confusion in his application and came back without a hitch since.

The only double-standard are the Vitor fans who have been watching MMA for a couple of years pretending he didn't use steroids in the past, which has been documented.

I really don't give a shit, good for Vitor, but if you want to whine and moan about "American Media Double Standards" because you're upset about a Brazilian fighter getting criticized for shady activity, then you're going to have to deal with the fact that your boy is a past steroid user and is on too much TRT to get licensed in the states.

Well, OK at least you have the courage to call it the way it is instead of trying to use BS arguments for why this is different.
1zczs4j.png

why it's different

1zczs4j.png

why it's different

I guess you must have missed the OP, but let me fill you in. The premise is that both Vitor and Chael were caught with illegal use of PEDs. The difference is that with Vitor that was in 2006, whereas with Chael it was in 2011. And yet, people were quick to forgive Chael on his very next fight.

" Urinalysis conducted after his loss to Anderson Silva showed Sonnen had an unallowably high testosterone/epitestosterone (T/E) ratio of 16.9:1 at the time of the fight. An average man has a T/E ratio of 1:1, and testing bodies may allow a ratio as high as 4:1 for athletes undergoing TRT treatment. In other words, Sonnen's T/E ratio was nearly 17 times than a normal man's and over four times the allowed maximum for an athlete.[23] He was fined $2,500 and suspended for one year (until September 2, 2011) by the California State Athletic Commission (CSAC).[24] His scheduled rematch with Silva was subsequently cancelled.[25][26] "

This reads more like you're projecting your own anti-Brazilian bigotry on the media.

I guess you must have missed the OP, but let me fill you in. The premise is that both Vitor and Chael were caught with illegal use of PEDs. The difference is that with Vitor that was in 2006, whereas with Chael it was in 2011. And yet, people were quick to forgive Chael on his very next fight.

" Urinalysis conducted after his loss to Anderson Silva showed Sonnen had an unallowably high testosterone/epitestosterone (T/E) ratio of 16.9:1 at the time of the fight. An average man has a T/E ratio of 1:1, and testing bodies may allow a ratio as high as 4:1 for athletes undergoing TRT treatment. In other words, Sonnen's T/E ratio was nearly 17 times than a normal man's and over four times the allowed maximum for an athlete.[23] He was fined $2,500 and suspended for one year (until September 2, 2011) by the California State Athletic Commission (CSAC).[24] His scheduled rematch with Silva was subsequently cancelled.[25][26] "

Yeah, genius, we know!

Chael got liscened to fight again and has no problems since.

Vitor cannot get liscened currently

Yeah, genius, we know!

If you want to go with legality both Vitor and Chael are licenced to fight and have not been doing anything illegal.

If you want to go with legality both Vitor and Chael are licenced to fight and have not been doing anything illegal.

No, they are not.
Jesus Christ, this is useless.

Other states follow the NSAC and CSAC, so suck a railroad spike

No they don't. They just uphold suspensions from other states, doesn't mean they follow the same protocol for licensing. For example, Marquardt received a TRT from the NJSAC despite having a failed test on his record. Hallman got a TUE for TRT from the NSAC altho he was previously suspended for steroids by the CSAC.

Unless there is an actual ruling handed down by a commission denying Belfort a TUE for TRT then you're just using conjecture to make a point.

I feel like you're confusing the media and fans in general. There seems to be a lot of sweeping generalizations on sherdog, ie "Fighter A isn't fined, but Fighter B is?! JADLKFAKFJALDKFJALKSM"

In truth a lot of people are as pissed Sonnen as they are Vitor, but I think there's a few more reasons as to bash Vitor, most of which don't have to deal with the TRT (such as his putting his fist on people's chins) and the fact that his body was buff even before he got on TRT, where as guys like Sonnen and Hendo were never that jacked. The issue that is, as I've mentioned, probably most concerning is the fact that he's not licensed in Nevada.

Someone said he's only licensed in Brazil, and I'm not sure whether that's true or not, however when he hasn't fought in the US for an organization that holds most of it's fights in the US in almost two years, combined with some of the other questionable things I've mentioned, will likely raise a few eyebrows.

I think all TRT is bs, but, again, is anybody really that surprised by the focus on Vitor? The dudes got a smoking wife and is an excellent fighter, there's enough to be jealous of without past cheating and having the physique of a greek god and then saying he doesn't have enough testosterone.

Yeah, genius, we know!

Vitor can get licensed anywhere in the US. The question is if he would also be able to get a TUE for TRT anywhere in the US, those are two different things all together.

No they don't. They just uphold suspensions from other states, doesn't mean they follow the same protocol for licensing. For example, Marquardt received a TRT from the NJSAC despite having a failed test on his record. Hallman got a TUE for TRT from the NSAC altho he was previously suspended for steroids by the CSAC.

Unless there is an actual ruling handed down by a commission denying Belfort a TUE for TRT then you're just using conjecture to make a point.

What?
Having a prior failed test doesn't stop you from applying again.

You can get a TUE after failing a test.
You don't understand the rules

Vitor can get licensed anywhere in the US. The question is if he would also be able to get a TUE for TRT anywhere in the US, those are two different things all together.

No, it's not, the two are related.
Vitor is using TRT and cannot get a TUE, and therefore cannot get licensed.

What?
Having a prior failed test doesn't stop you from applying again.

You can get a TUE after failing a test.
You don't understand the rules

Then what makes you so sure that Vitor can't get licensed for an exemption?

No, it's not, the two are related.
Vitor is using TRT and cannot get a TUE, and therefore cannot get licensed.

Yes, yes he can receive a license. He'd just have to stop taking TRT to be licensed, the two are not the same.

Back