American media double standard with Chael Sonnen

Testosterone isn't an anabolic steroid though.

Vitor's necessity for testosterone replacement can be linked to his past use of anabolic steroids, which cause the body to stop producing natural testosterone.

There is no evidence that Chael has ever used anabolic steroids. His reasons for being on hormone replacement are, as far as we know, medically valid.

TRT for a medical condition =/= TRT to counter past anabolic steroid abuse

Does that excuse Chael from having T:E ratios at 16:1? No. That's still outside of normal and accepted levels for competition, and he was obviously abusing his treatment.

I personally think TRT should be disallowed all together in MMA. If they are letting fighters use TRT, the ones with history of anabolic steroid use should definitely not be granted TUE.

Testosterone is an anabolic steroid.

You can't link Vitor's need for TRT to his past steroid usage, as you can't prove that it was the cause of it. You can speculate that it caused it but it can't be proven.

And since testosterone is an anabolic steroid and Chael abused his treatment of it, it should be treated in the same manner as Vitor's failed steroid test. If you ask me, neither should be allowed a TUE for TRT because of their failed drug tests in the past.

We all know that the fans and the media decided that Vitor's TRT use is the most important topic in MMA. Every article about Vitor starts with 3 paragraphs about TRT. However, where was the hate when popular American fighters use the same TRT?

Take Chael. He pissed hot in 2011 against Anderson. Vitor pissed hot in 2006. Yet, somehow the US media was happy to forgive Chael on his VERY NEXT FIGHT.

Take Bloodyelbow.com. On the 4 articles that I found here about Stann vs Sonnen (the fight immediately after Sonnen pissed hot) only one mentions Sonnen

There's no media double standard. Chael's TRT use gets brought up frequently. There's even a Dan Le Batard-Chael interview where it's brought up. That's ESPN, as big a sports media outlet as anything out there.

When Vitor gets asked about TRT on a stage as large as that, I'll buy the double standard argument.

Feel free to correct me, but as far as I understand the NSAC uses T/E ratios as their testing threshold to determine if a fighter is clean or not.

Thus, in case of Sonnen the relevant number is 17-1, which is 4x the limit of 4-1.

For example, Kiezer referred to Overeem's T/E ratio of 14-1 when he said that he failed the test, not his absolute level of testosterone.

Sonnen

When was that ever disputed?

Chael was also caught in 2010 and got a TUE license for his next fight. Overeem was caught exactly the same way and now he is being denied a license.
All this just shows how Kiezer is a hypocrite.

How does it show Kizer is a hypocrite? It is more likely your over simplification and fanboyism is wrong.

He has no dog in the fight and you love Vitor...who is more likely to be mistaken.

All this is moot until Vitor takes the plunge and tries to get TRT in the U.S.

Back