AMERICAN ASSASSIN (Dragonlord's Review)

If you have seen AMERICAN ASSASSIN, how would you rate it?

• 10 - Excellent

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 9 - Great

• 6 - Decent

• 4 - Poor

• 3 - Bad

• 2 - Terribad

• Total voters
Yo @Dragonlordxxxxx do you watch Teen Wolf ? :D if yes what do you think of it, ouch. xD
I stopped watching Teen Wolf around the early part of season 5 with the Dread Doctors. The show is a guilty pleasure of mine. I enjoyed the characters and some of the story but the execution wasn't that good, otherwise It could have reached Buffy level of greatness.

I'm very sensitive when seeing patterns in TV shows and Teen Wolf had a lot of problems which were more glaring by season 2. One of the issues is that each season is one continuous arc with little or no filler episodes or side adventures not relating to the main story. Villains wore out their welcome by appearing in almost every episode. Fights became repetitive and tedious. And since they can't kill off the villains until the end of the season, they fight, they escape, and they fight again. Rinse and repeat.

That movie looks awful. The lead actor playing the main character does not seem convincing at all.

I see free weights in the background of the Keaton pic. Can you confirm or deny that the Lord of the Wings can Bench teh 275?:)

They don't show Keaton pumping iron but he looks very fit and more in shape than I've seen him lately.

This conversation reminds me of Michael Keaton in Desperate Measures.

He wasn't huge or anything but he had definitely put in some time at the gym:

1213030-0bodybuilding.jpg

Dude, just knowing Michael Keaton is in this is all I need to know.

He sold me after his performance in Spiderman: Homecoming.

Michael Keaton makes anything better, bro. He always has.

Damn Dragon, you jumped on this shit, like, immediately.

I'm a bit disappointed to hear you only thought it was fairly good.
I feel American Assassin would translate better in the small screen.

Dragon is a peculiar one.. a 7 to him can easily mean an 8 to you.. :D

PS: everyone knows he hates on Star War movies you need to add 2 points on those to his ratings :p
Considering the large amount of hate The Force Awakens has received in here lately, my 7/10 at that time doesn't sound so bad, does it. ;)

I'd say my hope was that there was more to the story than the trailer gives us. At least a few clever twists and turns.
There are some twists in there but they weren't that good.

I actually haven't seen the movie, but I have always remembered seeing that scene in the trailer and being like, "WTF? Michael Keaton got buff?"

Is it worth a watch?
I remembered it was a decent thriller with Keaton's surprising turn in his career as the hardened criminal as the highlight of the film.

Update: September 13, 2017

Dragonlord's Review of AMERICAN ASSASSIN
(No Spoilers)

Bottom Line: A decent spy thriller highlighted with superbly choreographed fight scenes and Michael Keaton's bad-ass character.

z7W5q8a.jpg

After his fiancee is killed by Islamic terrorists in Ibiza, Mitch Rapp (Dylan O'Brien) goes on a personal crusade to punish those responsible for the tragedy. For the next 18 months, he relentlessly trains in UFC*, tactical firearms, knife combat and even learns Arabic and the Quran just to infiltrate a terrorist cell and kill its leader.

Seeing his huge potential as a black-ops agent, CIA deputy director Irene Kennedy (Sanaa Lathan) recruits Mitch and places him in the custody of ex-Navy SEAL Stan Hurley (Michael Keaton) for boot camp training. But when the threat of a nuclear weapon comes into play, Mitch is thrust into the field where his skills and unconventional methods might just save the day.

Based on Vince Flynn’s Mitch Rapp novels, The Maze Runner’s Dylan has got to have one of the best Hollywood agents in town as he is poised to star in another potential action movie franchise. Not bad for a guy initially known as just the dorky sidekick in MTV’s Teen Wolf series.

Dylan got beefed up for the role and he looks very leading man-ish. He performs his actions scenes like a pro. One of the high points of the film is the realistic-looking hand-to-hand combat sequences are magnificently choreographed and sleekly executed. MMA fans will get a kick out of the many Jiu-Jitsu holds and submissions that’s being displayed.

But couldn't the author have come up with better names for their action heroes other than Mitch Rapp, which sounds like a name for an I.T. consultant, and Stan Hurley, who sounds like an overweight accountant.

Atpnv1i.jpg

Michael Keaton gives a crowd-pleasing turn with his portrayal of the bad-ass, no-nonsense Stan Hurley. It’s a meaty role and Keaton fully dives into the character with gusto and then some (he even exhibits some vintage crazy Beetlejuice-esque behavior near the end). The boot camp scenes with Hurley are the best parts of the movie and wished it were a bit longer.

The main villain is Ghost played by Taylor Kitsch, who looks like an older version of Dylan’s Mitch Rapp. Ghost was a serviceable baddie when he was always a step ahead of the good guys but he gets lame very fast when he reveals his feeble motivation for going rogue.

The first half of the film was very engaging, especially the boot camp scenes, but the second half gets progressively generic, riddled with clichés and run-of-the-mill situations. The climax features a spectacular CGI sequence (that would make Roland Emmerich proud) which doesn’t fit tonally with the rest of the film but it was still cool to watch.

Armchair writing, I thought for the first movie they should have focused on Mitch infiltrating the terrorist cell and getting his revenge at the end. The sequel would be essentially this movie with Mitch recruited by the CIA, trained by Stan and then stopping Ghost from acquiring a nuclear weapon.

Overall, it’s not a home run but it’s still an entertaining, albeit a bit generic, geopolitical thriller augmented by some great action and by the charisma of its two leads.

Rating: 6.5/10 or 7/10

Keaton always brings the ruckus.

Considering the large amount of hate The Force Awakens has received in here lately, my 7/10 at that time doesn't sound so bad, does it. ;)

In retrospect yes, it could have been worse.

Then again sherdog is special, it wouldn't be home if we didn't have some hate and bitching around here. :D

I just wanted my movie section to be a tad less then the heavies.

I stopped watching Teen Wolf around the early part of season 5 with the Dread Doctors. The show is a guilty pleasure of mine. I enjoyed the characters and some of the story but the execution wasn't that good, otherwise It could have reached Buffy level of greatness.

I'm very sensitive when seeing patterns in TV shows and Teen Wolf had a lot of problems which were more glaring by season 2. One of the issues is that each season is one continuous arc with little or no filler episodes or side adventures not relating to the main story. Villains wore out their welcome by appearing in almost every episode. Fights became repetitive and tedious. And since they can't kill off the villains until the end of the season, they fight, they escape, and they fight again. Rinse and repeat.

Yep after season 2 I also noticed the problems but I enjoyed the characters and the universe plus werewolves so I stayed but after season 3 it got to be real work. Now I need to man up and finish the series.

Also RIP Allison, miss you.

Agreed.

He's had quite the career resurgence.
It's crazy. I remember seeing him in some movie about ghosts in the early 2000's and then he just disappeared for like 15 years. Glad to see him back

Thanks @Dragonlordxxxxx- awesome review as usual.

I'm going to see it tomorrow. Glad that it seems to be pretty good. Definitely seems like the type of movie I would like. I'm going to try to check out Mother! this weekend as well, mainly out of sheer, morbid curiosity.

It's weird to me, but it seems as though this is one of the rare years I can think of where September is so much more interesting in terms of movie releases than August. It is still on my radar and then Kingsman next week should be awesome.

In retrospect yes, it could have been worse.

Then again sherdog is special, it wouldn't be home if we didn't have some hate and bitching around here. :D

I just wanted my movie section to be a tad less then the heavies.

Yep after season 2 I also noticed the problems but I enjoyed the characters and the universe plus werewolves so I stayed but after season 3 it got to be real work. Now I need to man up and finish the series.

Also RIP Allison, miss you.
I hated Allison, she was a cunt.

I am a huge fan of the books and was utterly pissed when we lost both Flynn and Clancy within a year of each other. Rapp is the ultimate American badass in the series and for sure a product of the post 9/11 thinking.

Hope the movie does well and we can get either a Term Limits or Transfer of Power sequel.

Thanks @Dragonlordxxxxx- awesome review as usual.

I'm going to see it tomorrow. Glad that it seems to be pretty good. Definitely seems like the type of movie I would like. I'm going to try to check out Mother! this weekend as well, mainly out of sheer, morbid curiosity.

It's weird to me, but it seems as though this is one of the rare years I can think of where September is so much more interesting in terms of movie releases than August. It is still on my radar and then Kingsman next week should be awesome.
Yes, I was thinking the same thing about September being more loaded than August.

So stoked for #MovieNoOneCaredBeforeButNowTheyDoYaay , uh I mean, Kingsman

Back