AMC's INTO THE BADLANDS (Season 3 Premiering April 22, 2018)

MK was supposedly born outside of the Badlands, and is trying to get back home.
Sunny wants out as he's grown weary of the Clipper/Regent lifestyle, has a baby on the way, and is in love, which he's not supposed to be. Plus his baron has a tumor in his head driving him mad.

The Black Widow may also be looking into a way out of the Badlands, hence her interest in MK.

I don't think the vast majority of people in the Badlands know what's outside of the Badlands borders, besides maybe the River King.

I don't know what kind of power MK has or why, but it looks like he's getting better at controlling it.

The show does have a plot, it's not just Sunny going around kicking ass. Though the kicking ass portion of it is certainly the main draw for most people watching, i think.

Can not be that hard to just leave the badlands. They not on an island. If they on the continental USA, then just take a long hike in one direction and dont come back.

Like why is Sunny and MK trying to get out of the Badlands?

Because it is an awful place. Everybody is either a victim or a victimary.

Exactly what are the Badland borders, and what lies beyond?

Going on what Waldo told Sunny last episode, the Badlands are surrounded by a region called the wastelands, which is presumably a desert of some sort. The region where the Badlands give way to the wastelands is populated mainly by nomads. The only safe way to get across the wastelands that we know of is by going up the river, which is controlled by the River King.

It was the River King who brought MK into the Badlands, as apparently he takes the Barons' products up river and brings back slaves.

And then there's the fabled city of Azra, somewhere beyond the wastelands.

Why does MK have powers? How does that fit in with the original ancient Chinese tale?

Unknown as of this point.

The only direct parallels so far seem to be Sunny --> Monkey King and MK--> The Monk.

Unless there is some central objective driving the characters to do what they do, then this show will not last. Without, it is just a guy going around and fighting people.

Every character has a clear and understandable motivation.

• Sunny want to keep Veil and his unborn child safe.
  • MK wants to get the hell out of the Badlands and back to Azra
  • The Widow wants to overthrow the current order in the Badlands
  • Quinn wants to live and to maintain his power
  • Ryder wants to be Baron
  • Lydia wants Ryder to be safe and not be usurped by Jade.
  • Jade is up to something that we don't know yet.

Sunny's lady friend's inability to bring herself to kill Quinn is frustrating.

I'm up to the third episode. It seems to be a combination of Smallville style of drama and character/story development in a Hunger Games style of world.

what a terrible show. then again, i never liked movies/shows just based on fight scenes. i need to be drawn in with story and good acting. show has neither.

Show can be Buffy type good and have a cult following. Thing is a lot of audiences have seen shows like breaking bad, the wire, fargo etc with excellent top tier acting and character development, so when you watch this it's a big step back. Just enjoy it for what it is.

We also need to take into account it's the first season, and once characters come into their own for the character they begin to act better. Like anything else practice enough with a particular character and you will grow with the character. Producers are also figuring things out, direction etc. Shit takes time, and this is all assuming it will get renewed for another season.

Show can be Buffy type good and have a cult following. Thing is a lot of audiences have seen shows like breaking bad, the wire, fargo etc with excellent top tier acting and character development, so when you watch this it's a big step back. Just enjoy it for what it is.

We also need to take into account it's the first season, and once characters come into their own for the character they begin to act better. Like anything else practice enough with a particular character and you will grow with the character. Producers are also figuring things out, direction etc. Shit takes time, and this is all assuming it will get renewed for another season.

Agreed. It's a soap opera with themes copied from smallville and hunger games. the wire or its ilk it is not.

Man Sonny is s monster, he might be a little too OP right now. He made light work ouy of Black Widow.

Also suprised the daughter struggled with the young Colt dude in the cell. I thought she was tougher than that.

Because it is an awful place. Everybody is either a victim or a victimary.

Going on what Waldo told Sunny last episode, the Badlands are surrounded by a region called the wastelands, which is presumably a desert of some sort. The region where the Badlands give way to the wastelands is populated mainly by nomads. The only safe way to get across the wastelands that we know of is by going up the river, which is controlled by the River King.

It was the River King who brought MK into the Badlands, as apparently he takes the Barons' products up river and brings back slaves.

And then there's the fabled city of Azra, somewhere beyond the wastelands.

Unknown as of this point.

The only direct parallels so far seem to be Sunny --> Monkey King and MK--> The Monk.

Every character has a clear and understandable motivation.

• Sunny want to keep Veil and his unborn child safe.
  • MK wants to get the hell out of the Badlands and back to Azra
  • The Widow wants to overthrow the current order in the Badlands
  • Quinn wants to live and to maintain his power
  • Ryder wants to be Baron
  • Lydia wants Ryder to be safe and not be usurped by Jade.
  • Jade is up to something that we don't know yet.

Nice to see you on IO9 I think.

Man Sonny is s monster, he might be a little too OP right now. He made light work ouy of Black Widow.

Also suprised the daughter struggled with the young Colt dude in the cell. I thought she was tougher than that.

Sonny is a boss. Didn't even break a sweat against the Widow. I thought the same about her daughter. She got jobbed hard this week.
What happened to Blondie? Did I miss something?

Sonny is a boss. Didn't even break a sweat against the Widow. I thought the same about her daughter. She got jobbed hard this week.
What happened to Blondie? Did I miss something?

Tilda got caught by the element of surprise. As to Zypher, she's probably in her baron's estate. It would be kind of suspicious if she wasn't where she's supposed to be.

Nice to see you on IO9 I think.

Yep, I do frequent those parts.

Tilda got caught by the element of surprise. As to Zypher, she's probably in her baron's estate. It would be kind of suspicious if she wasn't where she's supposed to be.

Yep, I do frequent those parts.

The Widows wall walk is pretty damn awesome.

why is the season so short? I thought i saw that this or the next ep was the finale already

Sunny drop kicking the Widow through the wall was sick.

It's good know MK's powers has some limitations.

Why does every show have to be compared to the greatestshows ever, and if they dont match up then they suck?

Not every show is going to be a 10, if it is a 7, it is still a good show and people can still sit back and enjoy it. Plus this show was never meant to appeal to all people. It is basically an action junkie, old school kung fu, beat em up, cut em up. Its not suppose to win emmys.

Why does every show have to be compared to the greatestshows ever, and if they dont match up then they suck?

Not every show is going to be a 10, if it is a 7, it is still a good show and people can still sit back and enjoy it. Plus this show was never meant to appeal to all people. It is basically an action junkie, old school kung fu, beat em up, cut em up. Its not suppose to win emmys.

This what I'm saying, Buffy is loved by lots of folks who watched TV in the 90's and early 2000s. Watch the first season of that, it's hilariously bad, and it doesn't come in comparison to more realistic shows like the wire, but it doesn't have to be. It's an adventure show, enjoy it for what it is.

I loved Spartacus and always like seeing its actors pop up in other shows. i hadnt seen saxa in anything since. Randomly about an hour before the first episode she was in I was flipping around and saw her in some shitty xmas movie then i see her an hour later in badlands. Coincidence or aliens?

I can get into this show, but the kid is a horrendous actor. He's worse than Coral from the walking dead. Not to mention, Sunny is super over powered and Tilda, who has proven to be a total Badass in her own right, was getting tooled by some padawan learner.

Because the bar has been set so high by other shows, that any weak aspect to highly promoted shows is going to stick out. Especially shows on networks that are known for quality. If this was on FOX, I don't think anyone would even care to discuss it in such depth. It would just be another show.

Back