Ambassador to NATO unsure if US will impose sanctions on Turkey for S-400 buy

GhostZ06

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
HALIFAX, Canada — On Friday, the U.S. ambassador to NATO stopped short of saying that that the United States will impose sanctions on Turkey if it goes through with its purchase of the Russian S-400 missile system, but said Turkey understands “all of the ramifications” of its decisions.

Earlier this week, Turkey’s defense minister claimed to have wrapped up a deal with Russia for its S-400 anti-aircraft system, which NATO is concerned could hamper the interoperability of the alliances’ defenses, as a Russian system will not be able to be integrated with other NATO allies’ weapon systems.

But whether the move will trigger U.S. sanctions or other actions is still yet to be seen, said Amb. Kay Bailey Hutchison, the U.S. ambassador to NATO.

“Bilaterally, I don’t know if decisions have been made on that particular question, which is a valid question,” she said during a panel discussion at the Halifax Intenrnational Security Forum. “I don’t know what the answer will be on it. But Turkey is a member of NATO, they are a valuable ally, and we will continue to work though the issues that, I have to say, we have.”

Hutchison said that Turkey has explained that the country needed to quickly buy an air defense system, and that the country has assured her that the S-400 would not be connected to any other NATO weapons system. Turkey had previously considered the Patriot system made by U.S. manufacturer Raytheon, and at one time was attached to a Chinese missile system.

“Obviously it’s a great concern, there’s no doubt about it,” Hutchison said. “But on the other hand, Turkey is a very valuable ally in NATO, they have done their part. They are one of the four framework nations in Afghanistna right now and doing a very credible job. And they have answered the call every time NATO has made a call.”

Whether the United States or NATO takes action against Turkey has become a hot topic, as many countries in the alliance become more and more concerned about Erdogan’s ties to Russia and growing anti-democratic bent. However, NATO officials speaking at Halifax have tried to keep the focus on Turkey’s value to the alliance, praising the country for its counter-terrorism contributions.

https://www.defensenews.com/global/...ill-impose-sanctions-on-turkey-for-s-400-buy/

Jesus Christ what a bunch of pussy's. How do they not know. I bet trumps pussy ass wont do shit.

Turkey shouldn't be a member of NATO anyway.

Turkey has made their position clear

they've sided with Russia, China and Iran

It's difficult to say who are the strangest bedfellows us and the Turks or the Turks and the Russians .
Maybe we should just let them get it on for a while as i suspect they'll fall out of love soon enough .

It's difficult to say who are the strangest bedfellows us and the Turks or the Turks and the Russians .
Maybe we should just let them get it on for a while as i suspect they'll fall out of love soon enough .

well i expect turkey to be a shitty place

Turkey just want free missiles from US instead of paying for them. This is bargaining tool.

Israel does this all the time to us. Not with Russia arms but threatens to sell tech or you give us free shit.

Turkey shouldn't be a member of NATO anyway.
NATO needs Turkey more than Turkey needs them. W/O Turkey the west loses most of the ME, Black sea, and east Mediterranean to Russia. Then Russia can focus 100% on Europe.

It is almost Thanksgiving, I say we carve Turkey up real nice.

Letting Turkey to become a member of NATO was the wrong thing to do.

turkey is calling nato colonialists and is considering exiting after nato portraited erdogan at a meeting as the enemy, though "by mistake"

NATO needs Turkey more than Turkey needs them. W/O Turkey the west loses most of the ME, Black sea, and east Mediterranean to Russia. Then Russia can focus 100% on Europe.

Time to bring back Constantinople imo

Back