Amazon Video to have Thursday night NFL games, cable/satellite will eventually be totally useless

NFL is on OVER THE AIR. They even make cool looking antennas now so you don't look poor.

No reason to have cable to get NFL, unless you're just dying for Monday night games. ANyways Sling TV is like 20 bucks. Pff.

One of the main reasons that people say that they're sticking with cable/satellite is being able to see live sporting events. Well now its just one step closer to making cable unnecessary. In addition to that now Hulu is providing an add on for the basic sports channel plan that you get with your cable TV.
DVR Bro, Gotta have that DVR. Not everything can be 10 dollars a month otherwise you end up spending more than you would for your cable bill. I think people forget how much their paying when everything is seperated into different bills IE netflix, hulu etc...

NFL is on OVER THE AIR. They even make cool looking antennas now so you don't look poor.

No reason to have cable to get NFL, unless you're just dying for Monday night games. ANyways Sling TV is like 20 bucks. Pff.
over the air doesn't pick up every game. nfl sunday ticket is exclusive to directv. not having nfl sunday ticket is how you end up getting stuck watching jacksonville vs. indianapolis on cbs because every team needs their turn on broadcast tv.

Got rid of Cable TV for PlayStation Vue. So far it has more than enough football for me.

As more and more people cut the cords, I see cable providers just going all in on internet service and jacking those prices up.

Either way, getting rid of the cable TV package dropped my bill from $250 to $120 and change.

But dont the cable companies still control means to transmit the signals? There is the cellular networks, but that is like the satellite TV companies. Cable companies really are in the business of transmission, and not content.

Yes but they can't raise Internet prices up just yet to some outrageous price. There still is competition in most markets(If Comcast did it then they have to worry about Fios, AT&T, Google Fiber). Really though cellular networks will be a legitimate option for getting all of your internet at some point.

Bizarre Foods and a couple other shows on Travel channel, and I think I actually meant to say the History channel. Love their show Forged in Fire.

And how is there no redeeming content when you can learn things from watching these shows?

Forged in Fire is my ISH!

Got rid of Cable TV for PlayStation Vue. So far it has more than enough football for me.

As more and more people cut the cords, I see cable providers just going all in on internet service and jacking those prices up.

Either way, getting rid of the cable TV package dropped my bill from $250 to $120 and change.

$250?!?!?

WOW! I call them once a year for a "subscriber loyalty" discount. They knock my bill down considerably.

You've got to ask for it though, trust me, they won't just give it to you.

over the air doesn't pick up every game. nfl sunday ticket is exclusive to directv. not having nfl sunday ticket is how you end up getting stuck watching jacksonville vs. indianapolis on cbs because every team needs their turn on broadcast tv.

I live in Denver, no problems here. 1 team and they're in a good division, and they play a lot on Sunday night etc.
But I do remember being in FL and stuck with Tamps, Miami, and Jax all the time. I suppose if you're in FL your NFL life is rough.

$250?!?!?

WOW! I call them once a year for a "subscriber loyalty" discount. They knock my bill down considerably.

You've got to ask for it though, trust me, they won't just give it to you.

Yeah, $250 was the triple play, plus gold package for HBO, Starz, Encore, Showtime. Once we mapped out all the shows we watched, we found that PS Vue and Netflix were all we needed. Now we just use my in laws log in for HBO Go.

But dont the cable companies still control means to transmit the signals? There is the cellular networks, but that is like the satellite TV companies. Cable companies really are in the business of transmission, and not content.

Exactly. The cable companies are the ones who supply high speed access in many locations. They will certainly raise those rates.

Yup, you and the cable companies can leech off of old people as long as they're still alive. That's literally the only thing keeping them going, old people's ignorance and their children using their accounts so they don't have to pay for anything themselves.

As of the last time I looked, Spike was not available on any of the pseudo-cable services that have popped up like Sling and DirecTV Now. So if you are a big enough MMA fan that you want to watch Bellator live you still need cable.

After all the taxes and fees I pay about $115 a month for Internet and TV combined, and I get access to more channels than I would from any of the aforementioned services and I also get access to Comcast's pretty sizable library of free movies OnDemand.

I do not feel the need to jump ship at this time.

I use Hulu for live tv and hbo - $59

CBS
Fox
ESPN
Fs1
Fx
Fxx
Tnt
Tbs
USA

Along with 40+ channels

Also use Netflix $10

$69 a month for my entertainment

Everything else I have YouTube for

How much do you pay for Internet?

Cable companies have to treat their customers the worst of any industry that I've ever seen. They''re so concerned about getting new customers they make offers for great deals for the first year of subscribing to them, then after that they jack the prices up ridiculously. If they were just concerned about keeping the customers long term they might be getting less and less subsribers as time goes on.

They'll always give you the newest deal if you ask.

My current price is locked in for three years. When that deal is up I'll just jump to another.

I have internet through AT&T and not saying companies like that won't be making money off of internet and cell phones but cable TV is just like newspapers slowly dying out. It might not be immediately but they will get less and less relevant as the older generations who rely on those services die off. How many people under 45 years old still get a newspaper subscription? Sooner or later it'll be the same thing for the way you view TV.

I think it's just as likely that cable companies simply adapt to compete as the marketplace changes.

Exactly. The cable companies are the ones who supply high speed access in many locations. They will certainly raise those rates.

I wonder if eventually a satellite based service will provide internet. Doing away with all the physical infrastructure required to wire people in these days.

In theory it would be the most efficient, but I don't know how far we are off from such a thing.

I agree though that it makes sense for cable companies to increase their internet rates and cable subscriptions go down

I have youtube tv:

Its $35 a month and it has espn 1 & 2, fox sports 1 &2, nbc, fox, adc, cbs, etc. So it has all the sports channels I watch (and sports are the only thing I watch anyway so its a great deal for me).

Sling and Playstation Vue were missing either 1 or 2 or the lower basic channels, hence why I went with youtube tv.
I use to have ps vue I liked it but the only local channel it had was fox i think... didnt have cbs, abc or nbc...

I pay for hulu, gave my buddy the password and he gave me his hbo password... my parents gave me there netflix... so i get all that for 12 bucks ... Only thing comcast gets from me is I have high speed internet I stream all my content on one of those three things...

Yes but they can't raise Internet prices up just yet to some outrageous price. There still is competition in most markets(If Comcast did it then they have to worry about Fios, AT&T, Google Fiber). Really though cellular networks will be a legitimate option for getting all of your internet at some point.

Amazon can get competition too in the streaming department.

Back