Amazon Video to have Thursday night NFL games, cable/satellite will eventually be totally useless

Discussion in 'Mayberry Lounge' started by Lethal_Striker, Sep 12, 2017.

1. n...not crazy

n...not crazy Red Belt

NFL is on OVER THE AIR. They even make cool looking antennas now so you don't look poor.

No reason to have cable to get NFL, unless you're just dying for Monday night games. ANyways Sling TV is like 20 bucks. Pff.

2. chrisdiaz

chrisdiaz Purple Belt

DVR Bro, Gotta have that DVR. Not everything can be 10 dollars a month otherwise you end up spending more than you would for your cable bill. I think people forget how much their paying when everything is seperated into different bills IE netflix, hulu etc...

Guestx likes this.
  3. punkmother

punkmother calf cruncher fan

over the air doesn't pick up every game. nfl sunday ticket is exclusive to directv. not having nfl sunday ticket is how you end up getting stuck watching jacksonville vs. indianapolis on cbs because every team needs their turn on broadcast tv.

4. FyrFytr998

FyrFytr998 Gemtor Belt

Got rid of Cable TV for PlayStation Vue. So far it has more than enough football for me.

As more and more people cut the cords, I see cable providers just going all in on internet service and jacking those prices up.

Either way, getting rid of the cable TV package dropped my bill from $250 to $120 and change.

5. bubbleboyjones

bubbleboyjones Belt Purple

Yes but they can't raise Internet prices up just yet to some outrageous price. There still is competition in most markets(If Comcast did it then they have to worry about Fios, AT&T, Google Fiber). Really though cellular networks will be a legitimate option for getting all of your internet at some point.

6. Strychnine

Strychnine Gold Belt

Forged in Fire is my ISH!

bandicoot likes this.
  7. Strychnine

Strychnine Gold Belt

$250?!?!?

WOW! I call them once a year for a "subscriber loyalty" discount. They knock my bill down considerably.

You've got to ask for it though, trust me, they won't just give it to you.

8. n...not crazy

n...not crazy Red Belt

I live in Denver, no problems here. 1 team and they're in a good division, and they play a lot on Sunday night etc.
    But I do remember being in FL and stuck with Tamps, Miami, and Jax all the time. I suppose if you're in FL your NFL life is rough.

9. FyrFytr998

FyrFytr998 Gemtor Belt

Yeah, $250 was the triple play, plus gold package for HBO, Starz, Encore, Showtime. Once we mapped out all the shows we watched, we found that PS Vue and Netflix were all we needed. Now we just use my in laws log in for HBO Go.

Strychnine likes this.
  10. ralphc1

ralphc1 Steel Belt Platinum Member

Exactly. The cable companies are the ones who supply high speed access in many locations. They will certainly raise those rates.

11. Guestx

Guestx Guest

As of the last time I looked, Spike was not available on any of the pseudo-cable services that have popped up like Sling and DirecTV Now. So if you are a big enough MMA fan that you want to watch Bellator live you still need cable.

After all the taxes and fees I pay about $115 a month for Internet and TV combined, and I get access to more channels than I would from any of the aforementioned services and I also get access to Comcast's pretty sizable library of free movies OnDemand.

I do not feel the need to jump ship at this time.

12. Guestx

Guestx Guest

How much do you pay for Internet?

13. Guestx

Guestx Guest

They'll always give you the newest deal if you ask.

My current price is locked in for three years. When that deal is up I'll just jump to another.

14. Guestx

Guestx Guest

I think it's just as likely that cable companies simply adapt to compete as the marketplace changes.

15. IDL

IDL Gold Belt

I wonder if eventually a satellite based service will provide internet. Doing away with all the physical infrastructure required to wire people in these days.

In theory it would be the most efficient, but I don't know how far we are off from such a thing.

I agree though that it makes sense for cable companies to increase their internet rates and cable subscriptions go down

16. Moretti

Moretti Layla & Sadie

I have unlimited data on my phone thru t mobile. I have an iPad and my phone I use to watch tv. I can either hold my phone and watch or stream to my tv.

Cost maybe $20 to buy the device that allows this

Guestx likes this.
  17. catzilla

catzilla size 33 belt

I use to have ps vue I liked it but the only local channel it had was fox i think... didnt have cbs, abc or nbc...

Tamriel Terror likes this.
  18. catzilla

catzilla size 33 belt

I pay for hulu, gave my buddy the password and he gave me his hbo password... my parents gave me there netflix... so i get all that for 12 bucks ... Only thing comcast gets from me is I have high speed internet I stream all my content on one of those three things...

19. MadSquabbles500

MadSquabbles500 Gold Belt

Amazon can get competition too in the streaming department.

20. catzilla

catzilla size 33 belt

already have it