Amazon Video to have Thursday night NFL games, cable/satellite will eventually be totally useless

I have internet through AT&T and not saying companies like that won't be making money off of internet and cell phones but cable TV is just like newspapers slowly dying out. It might not be immediately but they will get less and less relevant as the older generations who rely on those services die off. How many people under 45 years old still get a newspaper subscription? Sooner or later it'll be the same thing for the way you view TV.

What I am saying is that how is this that you said "one step closer to making cable unnecessary" going to happen if you are getting internet through cable? If people stopped getting the cable tv portion they would end up charging you or streaming services money to make it up.

We're still not there.

Hardcore sports fans still can't fully cut the cord.

Who the fuck pays for Football?
It's broadcasted at every bar and fast food joint.
Even McDonald's has it on TV, and I don't even eat there.

I stream everything now. The quality and availability is finally sufficient enough for me to never look back. Other than a big fight I'm done paying for sports. Maybe a live event every now and again.

We're still not there.

Hardcore sports fans still can't fully cut the cord.

What's it going to take to get there? I haven't looked much into this streaming stuff yet but the few times I have, it seems like they always leave off something important like ESPN or the local CSN channel to watch my local basketball team.

What's it going to take to get there? I haven't looked much into this streaming stuff yet but the few times I have, it seems like they always leave off something important like ESPN or the local CSN channel to watch my local basketball team.
Frankly, when I've gone to read about this, and the byzantine nature of regional cable contracts built around these sports packages, it doesn't sound like it's going to be possible for quite some time. It makes my eyes spin. Everything is built around this decentralized, incoherent mess of contracts that can't be neatly combined in a way that a universal service could be offered. Basically, almost all of Cable's revenue is tied up in these contracts, so the entire industry and these contracts are built around interests hostile to disrupting that status quo.

Guys in here have already mentioned Sling, and that's been the most promising avenue so far. @Tamriel Terror just mentioned YouTube.tv. I was aware of the service, but that post just enlightened me to the depth of its sports programming. I was ignorant.

Others have alluded to the high seas, but even the high seas aren't what @BVG is making them out to be. It's free. That's the bonus. The video quality is freaking garbage on most of those streams when they're actually live. None of those pirate kings is paying big money to host servers to make sure it's smooth sailing for all. You can't rely on peer-generated stream quality for live sporting events-- obviously. The peers don't yet possess the actual data of the stream. You're limited to the shared bandwidth from all the peers uploading their own stream in real-time: split between everyone who is trying to access that.

Frankly, when I've gone to read about this, and the byzantine nature of regional cable contracts built around these sports packages, it doesn't sound like it's going to be possible for quite some time. It makes my eyes spin. Everything is built around this decentralized, incoherent mess of contracts that can't be neatly combined in a way that a universal service could be offered. Basically, almost all of Cable's revenue is tied up in these contracts, so the entire industry and these contracts are built around interests hostile to disrupting that status quo.

Guys in here have already mentioned Sling, and that's been the most promising avenue so far. @Tamriel Terror just mentioned YouTube.tv. I was aware of the service, but that post just enlightened me to the depth of its sports programming. I was ignorant.

Others have alluded to the high seas, but even the high seas aren't what @BVG is making them out to be. It's free. That's the bonus. The video quality is freaking garbage on most of those streams when they're actually live. None of those pirate kings is paying big money to host servers to make sure it's smooth sailing for all. You can't rely on peer-generated stream quality for live sporting events-- obviously. The peers don't yet possess the actual data of the stream. You're limited to the shared bandwidth from all the peers uploading their own stream in real-time: split between everyone who is trying to access that.

I'm a toronto maple leaf fan...and every single game last year I watched in HD stream quality.

nic cage...he's a pimp.

So my needs are more than met.

oh and;

04-goleafsgo.jpg

I'm a toronto maple leaf fan...and every single game last year I watched in HD stream quality.

nic cage...he's a pimp.

So my needs are more than met.

oh and;

04-goleafsgo.jpg
That's fine, but I hope you understand that this doesn't encapsulate the world of sport.

My effort here is to speak to that wider world, and its demands.

That's fine, but I hope you understand that this doesn't encapsulate the world of sport.

My effort here is to speak to that wider world, and its demands.

I don't think I live in a bubble. While it's true TML have a large fan base, my guess is that with a little digging in the right places, you will find your HD streams for which ever team you follow in whichever sport.

(they likely will not be listed in the more obvious places)

I read rumours they are trying to bid to take rugby off of sky sports in New Zealand as well.

Uh, sometimes people like to watch TV at home...

I have youtube tv:

Its $35 a month and it has espn 1 & 2, fox sports 1 &2, nbc, fox, adc, cbs, etc. So it has all the sports channels I watch (and sports are the only thing I watch anyway so its a great deal for me).

Sling and Playstation Vue were missing either 1 or 2 or the lower basic channels, hence why I went with youtube tv.
Do they blockout local teams on youtubetv? I assume same rules for youtubetv would apply to hulu's package. No point in paying $35 a month for a sports package if you can't watch your local teams like MLB.tv doesn't allow you to do.

Do they blockout local teams on youtubetv? I assume same rules for youtubetv would apply to hulu's package. No point in paying $35 a month for a sports package if you can't watch your local teams like MLB.tv doesn't allow you to do.
I'm not sure honestly. I haven't had any problems with youtube tv so far though and I had major issues with Vue (it keep cutting out, stopped working, and didn't have one of the football channels)

I use Hulu for live tv and hbo - $59

CBS
Fox
ESPN
Fs1
Fx
Fxx
Tnt
Tbs
USA

Along with 40+ channels

Also use Netflix $10

$69 a month for my entertainment

Everything else I have YouTube for

As long as directv has nfl ticket they will always exist.

teksavvy, why?

My internet service is through the cable company. My landline phone company was slow. Cell services are even slower. Satellite is too weather dependent and slow upload. Cable has fiber-optic service.

How much do people spend at those places? It makes cable look cheap in comparison.

But dont the cable companies still control means to transmit the signals? There is the cellular networks, but that is like the satellite TV companies. Cable companies really are in the business of transmission, and not content.

One of the main reasons that people say that they're sticking with cable/satellite is being able to see live sporting events. Well now its just one step closer to making cable unnecessary. In addition to that now Hulu is providing an add on for the basic sports channel plan that you get with your cable TV.

in most sports, you only lose out on a handful of games that are aired on premium channels. all major sports have a service that will allow you to watch out of market games online or on a roku, apple tv, etc. sling also offers a sports package. in market games are typically aired on one of the major broadcast channels.

nfl is the exception with sunday ticket only being offered on directv. that is the biggest assault on americans' liberty in our time.

Back