Amazon Video to have Thursday night NFL games, cable/satellite will eventually be totally useless

Lethal_Striker

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
One of the main reasons that people say that they're sticking with cable/satellite is being able to see live sporting events. Well now its just one step closer to making cable unnecessary. In addition to that now Hulu is providing an add on for the basic sports channel plan that you get with your cable TV.

I don't have cable but I use my mom's password for everything I watch. Still a long ways before those companies are done.

What is cable good for these days other than snack wacky-ass cracky?

WILL be totally useless?

It already is.

I haven't paid for cable in 12 years. And now that I can stream hd any sports event I want...what's the fucking incentive? For the feel goods? For being spammed relentlessly with adverts?

I do pay for netflix though, and my brain can't figure out why I do that...but it's only what? 10 bucks a month?

Yet somehow we will end up paying the same for several services to get what one used to provide...

Yet somehow we will end up paying the same for several services to get what one used to provide...
Most cable services are about $80 a month, I highly doubt that many people would have more than 8 channels, and at around $10 each, at the very least people can be sensible and only pay for what they want to watch.

At 10 dollars a month each, I would happily pay for ESPN, Travel channel, A&E, and Fox Sports. That's all I watch, anyway.

Most cable services are about $80 a month, I highly doubt that many people would have more than 8 channels, and at around $10 each, at the very least people can be sensible and only pay for what they want to watch.

At 10 dollars a month each, I would happily pay for ESPN, Travel channel, A&E, and Fox Sports. That's all I watch, anyway.
What do you watch on Travel Channel and A&E? Those seem like worthless channels with no redeeming content, much like TLC and the Food Network.

I don't have cable but I use my mom's password for everything I watch. Still a long ways before those companies are done.
Yup, you and the cable companies can leech off of old people as long as they're still alive. That's literally the only thing keeping them going, old people's ignorance and their children using their accounts so they don't have to pay for anything themselves.

What do you watch on Travel Channel and A&E? Those seem like worthless channels with no redeeming content, much like TLC and the Food Network.
Bizarre Foods and a couple other shows on Travel channel, and I think I actually meant to say the History channel. Love their show Forged in Fire.

And how is there no redeeming content when you can learn things from watching these shows?

At least with spending the same amount on streaming you're going to get only the packages you have an interest in. And then you get a few hundred channels and probably never watch more then 20 of them and then you have to watch the shows in the order that the channels tell you to watch, I mean you can record them on the DVR and watch them that way but that defeats the purpose of just not being able to stream them. And you don't have to have someone come out to your place to set things up for you and then again if you move to a new location.

Cable companies have to treat their customers the worst of any industry that I've ever seen. They''re so concerned about getting new customers they make offers for great deals for the first year of subscribing to them, then after that they jack the prices up ridiculously. If they were just concerned about keeping the customers long term they might be getting less and less subsribers as time goes on.

Bizarre Foods and a couple other shows on Travel channel, and I think I actually meant to say the History channel. Love their show Forged in Fire.

And how is there no redeeming content when you can learn things from watching these shows?
Your knife will KEEL

WILL be totally useless?

It already is.

I haven't paid for cable in 12 years. And now that I can stream hd any sports event I want...what's the fucking incentive? For the feel goods? For being spammed relentlessly with adverts?

I do pay for netflix though, and my brain can't figure out why I do that...but it's only what? 10 bucks a month?

Who is your internet service provider?

I can't figure out how Netflix doesn't have live news and weather yet.

cable cutter reporting in

i got slingtv to have access to NFL games on my TV, but my package doesnt have ESPN, so i had to stream that on my laptop and HDMi it to the TV'

wait, what about hulu adding sports channels? i would do that and drop sling

i have netflix, hulu, amazon and sling. i got hbonow during GoT season but dropped it after

I have youtube tv:

Its $35 a month and it has espn 1 & 2, fox sports 1 &2, nbc, fox, adc, cbs, etc. So it has all the sports channels I watch (and sports are the only thing I watch anyway so its a great deal for me).

Sling and Playstation Vue were missing either 1 or 2 or the lower basic channels, hence why I went with youtube tv.

I'd rather pay ~80 bucks a month for a couple of services that cater to what I enjoy, than to pay ~80 bucks a month for 300 channels when I'll only really watch 2 or 3.

One of the main reasons that people say that they're sticking with cable/satellite is being able to see live sporting events. Well now its just one step closer to making cable unnecessary. In addition to that now Hulu is providing an add on for the basic sports channel plan that you get with your cable TV.

um, how are you planning on getting your internet connection exactly?

um, how are you planning on getting your internet connection exactly?

I have internet through AT&T and not saying companies like that won't be making money off of internet and cell phones but cable TV is just like newspapers slowly dying out. It might not be immediately but they will get less and less relevant as the older generations who rely on those services die off. How many people under 45 years old still get a newspaper subscription? Sooner or later it'll be the same thing for the way you view TV.

Back