amazing posters Polish artists made for your favourite films under Soviet oppression

JosephDredd

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
https://picomedia.net/the-art-of-soviet-polish-movie-posters/

The Art of Soviet Polish Movie Posters

When American movies were released, posters were usually created by graphic designers and made according to the demands of the big movie studios. In Soviet Poland, however, conditions were different. They allowed for a new type of poster to be designed. Let’s look at the art of the Polish movie posters.
Poland did it differently. From 1945 to 1989, Poland was under the banner of the Soviet bloc, where American ‘propaganda’ materials were either banned or more restricted. Like anything else, the film industry was owned by the state. Two main institutions were responsible for commissioning poster designs. These were Film Polski (Polish Film) and Centrala Wynajmu Filmow (Movie Rentals Central). Instead of commissioning graphic designers, like other studios did at the time, they commissioned artists – using unconventional methods for their designs and thus breathing an individual voice to each poster.

Due to the nature of the government, who didn’t care much about how the posters looked, and the artistic limitations at the time, the posters became a way for the artists to fully express themselves. Instead of the big studios demanding posters that looked a certain way or evoked a digestible emotion, the artists were able to create powerful imagery inspired by the movies – without featuring the stars, including stills from a film, and without necessarily creating a direct connection to the film.

Without further ado, let’s look at 6 of the coolest Polish movie posters of the era.

Ridley Scott’s ‘Alien’ (1979)
PolishMovieAlien-210x300.jpg

by: Jakub Erol
Inoshira Honda’s ‘King Kong’ (1968)
PolishMovieKingKong-213x300.jpg

By: Marek Mosinski
George Lucas’ “Star Wars: A New Hope” (1977)
PolishMovieNewHope-193x300.jpg

By: Artist Unknown
John G. Avildsen’s “Rocky” (1976)
PolishMovieRocky-216x300.jpg

By: Edward Lutczyn
Stephen Spielberg’s “Raiders of the Lost Ark” (1983)
PolishMovieLostArk-1-206x300.jpg

By: Jakub Erol
Inoshira Honda’s “Godzilla” (1957)
PolishMovieGodzilla-206x300.jpg

By: Alicja Laurman-Waszewska

Anyone got any more of these? These are freaking awesome!

Wow those are cool as hell
Definitely give off a 60's era Cold War vibe

I love these posters. They're all over my house. I bought a shitload of them through this site

https://www.polishposter.com/category/film-posters

Some of my favs

POLISH150-2.jpg

big_5021.jpg

big_4333.jpg

large_0847.jpg

large_4791.jpg

large_4779.jpg

large_0134.jpg

Superglina!

I don't have any of those, but I do have a framed poster of Fulci's Zombie, as well as Romero's Dawn of the Dead.

The Zombie one is hilarious, as women in particular generally look at it as I nod toward it, commenting, "pretty sweet, eh??" and look away with a "...yeah... Cool, I guess."

Fools.

zombie_poster.jpg

I realize that the above post could also be referencing my penis. But no, friends. Rest assured - only the poster. NOT my penis. Agreed?? Great.

These artists gets it.

Man imagine how many polish browskis thought they where renting a movie about a six-armed gunman who wielded revolvers in every fist while riding around in a motorcycle wearing some darn high heels.

Damn those guys must have been disappointed when they ended up with normal two-armed Clint Eastwood.

I now want an action movie staring Vishnu. In fact, I demand it!!!

Back