Amazing footwork/mobility and being skinny...

Discussion in 'Boxing Discussion' started by Ogata, Jan 13, 2018 at 10:35 PM.

1. Ogata Black Belt

Ogata
    I remember training with Tony Pep years ago and he moves in such an amazing way and the only person who could emulate him was another guy in that gym with similar think frame like himself.

I was watching them spar and I said something along the lines of "I wish I could move like that" and one guy said something to the effect of " being skinny helps getting towards that level"

I am curios to know, does weight regardless if its fat and/or muscle take away from a boxers mobility?

This is Tony Pep: ( awesome guy)

I also have noticed guys like Zab Judah when younger and skinner to have better mobility as oppose to getting older and becoming thicker. I don't know if I am right or maybe I have misperceived the whole thing.

2. JayE Brown Belt

JayE
    Does Pep still have a gym in Van?

Anyway, no. Pernell Whitaker was relatively stocky and he might be the best mover of all time.

Jhonni5 likes this.
  3. Jhonni5 Is Alive

Jhonni5
    Muhammad Ali; plenty of muscle, moved like a welterweight.

4daLuLZ likes this.
  4. ironfist05 Silver Belt

ironfist05
    Hiliario Zapata fits the description (edit: I meant lanky guys that can move)

Last edited: Jan 15, 2018 at 10:05 AM
    4daLuLZ likes this.
  5. Dreadlock666 Founder of the militant wing of the Salvation Army

Dreadlock666
    I think a lot of it is foot+ankle+leg strength, something people don't seem to acknowledge often.

I've always been very fast and evasive for a big guy and I put it down to prioritising many variants of skipping in my training, those quick full body movements are all driven from the lower leg and foot.

Jhonni5 likes this.
  6. Ogata Black Belt

Ogata
    No he does not. He is doing personal training as a free lance trainer.

Good guy but sadly when he had a gym many people didn't pay the gym fee even though gym was full.

4daLuLZ likes this.
  7. Lots White Belt

Lots
    I swear mobility is influenced by personality. Some people are just mobile as fuck regardless of their shape and others just stand there.

8. Queen B Silver Belt

Queen B
    Felix Diaz is a stocky guy

9. Sunfish Martinez Belt

Sunfish
    If you’re looking stocky guys with power there are plenty and lanky guys poster boy is hearns. Hamed hit like a truck out of nowhere.

Again there are people in here who are experts on the lower weights who don’t chime in. Who is a) better than Khaosai at what ts is looking for and b) has a better nickname than the left hand that drills intestines?

I know that nickname is a translation but it still makes me a little uncomfortable.

10. 4daLuLZ Green Belt

4daLuLZ
    Tell me about this other guy.
    And how long ago.

11. Ogata Black Belt

Ogata
    This was spring of 2012 so almost 6 years ago. The other guy had the same exact body type and weight as Tony Pep. Different is, he was few inches taller and yet, he was not awkward at all. He moved in the same exact manner and had that same slick movement and sharp punches. If anyone tried to take it to him, they wouldn't make it to the end of the round. Some were MMA fighters who wanted to be big shots and they would get fucked up the most.

The gym closed down as mentioned and I heard he ended up competing and won his fight and became a champion in his division. Then two years later ( in 2014) I heard he got in to crime or drug dealing and that's all. I don't know how true the last part is because my impression was that, boxing came so easy to him that he may have lost interest. But who knows.

I will never forget how freakishly tall he was, I thought he was some yoga master turned boxer. Then I met another skinny person but not as tall as Tony/other guy who was graceful but nowhere near that level.