AMA about boxing

What do you do after throwing 1-2 with pendulum stepping, the 1-2 throws my timing off, it seems proper to me to either pull back and continue the pendulum steps or commit to attacking with half steps and then side step or pivot.

What do you do after throwing 1-2 with pendulum stepping, the 1-2 throws my timing off, it seems proper to me to either pull back and continue the pendulum steps or commit to attacking with half steps and then side step or pivot.

It depends.

There's nothing wrong with attacking or resetting. i lean towards attacking as I focus on inside work.

If you are going to retreat, retreat with a active lead. Some call this control. Lead hand extended can be used as a temporary post or can be used as a stiff jab or two ether is fine.

Last edited:
What would you say is the most important aspect for a beginner to focus on? Conditioning, Footwork, Punching Technique, Timing etc.
Any tips in particular for landing body shots? Any time I thrown them they feel awkward and ineffective
Running Vs Skipping? I know both are important but would you recommend focusing on one over the other? I remember hearing Brendan Ingle had Prince Naseem do very little road work but rather skip endlessly instead.

Sorry I didn't see this question @Dougall

Footwork, punching, and timing are all apart of proper technique.

Technique is the most important but you can't hold proper posture or maintain proper technique without conditioning.

Body shots like defense require a concerted efforts. Work then on the heavy bad and shadow boxing. Go slow at first focus on proper technique.

Conditioning is conditioning skipping is better for footwork and probably less damaging on the knees long term. Both have there place I prefer full speed partner drills for conditioning.

Here are a few questions that arised from todays spar session.
1. How do you decide what to do? For me it is instinctive so far. But I have been thinking about it lately. I have been trying to be very concious about my positioning - body, hands, lead food. I have been trying to be less active in order to be in a good position. I think this is fundamental - correct me if I am wrong.
2. And how do you decide when to attack? - from the first question. Again kind of instinctive regarding this, but kind of trying to put my opponent in a bad position before attacking. However I am creating a bad habit of waiting to counter-attack and waiting my opponent to get into a bad positioning himself. I am getting better at exploiting mistakes and countering, while my defence is getting better too. But in general I do not like being reactive. I want to be the one forcing the action and the reactions.
3. How do you decide on punch selection? Do you have some kind of a patern on attacks? I used to have a patern on finding reactions of my opponent. I still use some of these mini strategies. (For example jabing while going to my right waiting for that left hook counter in order to bob and punch or weave and punch)

1. How do you decide what to do? For me it is instinctive so far. But I have been thinking about it lately. I have been trying to be very concious about my positioning - body, hands, lead food. I have been trying to be less active in order to be in a good position. I think this is fundamental - correct me if I am wrong.
In sparring your goal is to get better. In a fight your objective is to win. In sparring you focus on what you are working on so If you are working on positioning then focus on that. If you are focusing on hooks to the body then thats what you work on.
2. And how do you decide when to attack? - from the first question. Again kind of instinctive regarding this, but kind of trying to put my opponent in a bad position before attacking. However I am creating a bad habit of waiting to counter-attack and waiting my opponent to get into a bad positioning himself. I am getting better at exploiting mistakes and countering, while my defence is getting better too. But in general I do not like being reactive. I want to be the one forcing the action and the reactions.
people are most open when they are attacking.

We focus on creating openings vs waiting for openings. We rely upon distance manipulation to draw out attacks. We take the initiative by baiting our opponents into throwing the punches we want to counter. Push vs Pull, Attract vs Repel. We Pull attacks out of our opponents.

How do you decide on punch selection? Do you have some kind of a patern on attacks? I used to have a patern on finding reactions of my opponent. I still use some of these mini strategies. (For example jabing while going to my right waiting for that left hook counter in order to bob and punch or weave and punch)
Our attacks are based on where the opponent's positioning is as it relates to us. For example cross from a conventional fights comes we roll it, then based on the distance between us and the fighter we then decided to ether throw a cross or rear uppercut then a left hook. We have certain responses for certain actions. These are what we call automatics. Boxing is dynamic and ever changing but we take advantage of actions most boxers display. We use the automatics to help beginners fell confident right away.

Back