Am I the only one who finds stand-up MMA more exciting to watch than Muay Thai?

MrOsci

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
I can't quite place my finger on it, but for some reason I always find watching standup MMA is a lot more exciting than watching Muay Thai even though they seem to be working with the same tools.

I thought this thread by JayMuayThai at first

straight MT is boring af to watch imho.

i agree to an extent.

if we get the typical muay thai match from thailand where they only turn it up in rounds 2/3/4, then yes, it can get very boring. but then again i have seen some snooze fest mma fights as well, the octagon is sometimes too big and they just avoid engaging and dance around non stop.

B
No need to be so hostile dude. I actually practice MT and I appreciate the technicality behind MT however there's something about MMA standup that makes it more fun to watch that I'm not quite sure what it is.
Because in muay thai they dont overcommit on their strikes. Fewer top guys getting knocked out

It's because of the gloves. knockouts happen more easily. any good punch landed can end the fight at once. with MT it takes more time, it's a slower beatdown. I've learned to appreciate any striking while there's also a danger for takedowns etc. I started with watching K-1 forever ago though, but if I watch fights now it kinda seems like limited fighting compared to mma, not as bad as boxing of course. There is just some reallness about mma, streetfight realness. Boxing MT/kickboxing seem more like sports.

for some reason I always find watching standup MMA is a lot more exciting

Until the takedown and the cuddling for the rest of the round. I've seen more boring MMA fights where nothing happens and both guys gas out than I've seen boring Muay Thai fights. And I say that as a fan of both.

I can't quite place my finger on it, but for some reason I always find watching standup MMA is a lot more exciting than watching Muay Thai even though they seem to be working with the same tools.
For me I get really into the clinch fighting. MT can be boring when its two guys having an arm kicking contest, but when there is a lot of clinching its really cool to see all the different techniques at play. So much stuff that simply doesn't happen in MMA. It was actually shocking when I would watch MMA after and the world champions clinch like tuk tuk drivers.

This strongly suggests you do not watch or appreciate muay thai. MMA fighters and muay thai fighters fight nothing alike.
Well, they do, but there are differences and that's what this thread is about. In MMA they still punch, kick, elbow, knee and clinch. I think there's more dodging in MMA though.

MMA is more exciting and fast paced. Everyone in MT fights the same. March slowly towards each other then throw 1 or 2 combo which all gets blocked.

In MMA, you have show boaters, you have different styles. Gloves are smaller and they grapple more. The ref won't reset you for clinching. Even if both are from a Thai background, you will still see a faster pace fight.

For me I get really into the clinch fighting. MT can be boring when its two guys having an arm kicking contest, but when there is a lot of clinching its really cool to see all the different techniques at play. So much stuff that simply doesn't happen in MMA. It was actually shocking when I would watch MMA after and the world champions clinch like tuk tuk drivers.
I'll take left kicker vs left kicker over clinch fuck all day, although I do enjoy clinch wars that are back and forth.

Never heard anyone saying this before. Your probably watching the wrong MuayThai fights. Most striking in MMA is shit. You probably get more KO's because of the MMA gloves and in high level MuayThai fighters make less mistakes. Less mistakes = less knockouts.

MMA is more exciting and fast paced. Everyone in MT fights the same. March slowly towards each other then throw 1 or 2 combo which all gets blocked.

In MMA, you have show boaters, you have different styles. Gloves are smaller and they grapple more. The ref won't reset you for clinching. Even if both are from a Thai background, you will still see a faster pace fight.

Which muay thai fighters or promotions have you been watching?

more kicks = less KO's.
I still see plenty of kick KO's in Muay Thai and Kickboxing tho. I'm actually going to agree with @JayMuaythai in this instance. Guys seem to get caught with shots because of poor defensive structure and reactions in MMA a lot. And no, I'm not talking about instances when the smaller gloves are playing a factor, which they do.

Until the takedown and the cuddling for the rest of the round. I've seen more boring MMA fights where nothing happens and both guys gas out than I've seen boring Muay Thai fights. And I say that as a fan of both.
MT guys cuddle all the time. you call it "clinching" and very rarely do I ever see it turn into a brutal knee fest spectactle like MT is wrongly infamous for. instead i see two guys hug and then throw little baby knees to the body/legs because the scoring is retarded and doesn't recognize the value of punching techniques or footwork. so every MT fight turns into either a boring clinch fest or two guys standing around trading leg kicks for several rounds.

I respect it somewhat because there is obviously sound techniques to be learned from it but it's just not entertaining and frankly the entire philosophy behind it is assbackwards. boxing maybe limited but they got the right idea with the "hit without getting hit" philosophy of striking.

Never heard anyone saying this before. Your probably watching the wrong MuayThai fights. Most striking in MMA is shit. You probably get more KO's because of the MMA gloves and in high level MuayThai fighters make less mistakes. Less mistakes = less knockouts.

or maybe the lower weight classes produce less ko's in all of combat sports. muay thai in thailand doesnt even get into the welterweight division, let alone middleweight and higher. tiny men dont produce as much ko's as bigger men

so every MT fight turns into either a boring clinch fest or two guys standing around trading leg kicks for several rounds.

think that confirms that you don't know much about muay thai, leg kicks aren't really as common as you think in thai muay thai.....yet you're writing like you have the sport figured out

Last edited:
Back