Am I the only one that thinks Shogun is P4P greatest ever?

jenlan

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
He's still basically undefeated. Anyone who has ever beat him I'm sorry but I just can't give them the credit. And let me go ahead and get this out of the way, this is in no way a nuthugging thread. I'm a fan of Shogun sure but I made this thread because I wanted to make sure certain people knew the facts surrounding Shogun's history. If it wouldn't have been for Shogun's injuries and simply just being the unluckiest fighter in history(the robberies, injuries) then everyone would know already but the fact is even with all his adversities, he's still the best fighter that ever lived.

He lost to Babalu when he was like 18, lost to Coleman by freak injury which he later pointlessly avenged, lost to Griffin in his UFC debut(octagon jitters) which the only fighter I can remember having a great UFC debut was Anderson not to mention Shogun was obviously injured(right knee, couldn't train properly) because he couldn't even lift his arms in the 2nd round but that was yet another fight he ended up h pointlessly avenging. Against Jones he was caught by a flying knee at the start of the fight and didn't even remember the rest of the fight(and he never officially tapped, yeah post the gif, Herb stepped in and stopped the fight and then you see Shogun either tapping after the fact or just hitting the ground out of disappointment that Herb stepped in too early(we'll never know because Shogun was beaten way worse by TRT Hendo and still came back and won or a draw). As for Hendo, first fight we all know was a draw. 2nd fight Shogun killed him but got caught with 1 punch and TRT is all that needs to be said, same goes for the Sonnen loss but Sonnen was an exreme PED case as we all know.

Shogun has the best wins in the history of MMA. The 05 Grand Prix was the most stacked tournament in combat history and Shogun had the toughest road to win at 23 years old, and he did just that beating Arona in the finals who just beat the champion Wanderlei Silva who was undefeated for the 5 previous years.

And I forgot to mention Machida. Everyone knows that the first fight was the most controversial decision in the history of MMA. Shogun deserved the belt that night against the unstoppable, undefeated new era, but Shogun was robbed again and had to prove himself pointlessly again in the rematch by nearly killing him but he decided to get off of him instead because he knew everyone knew what was really going on(UFC hype machine, etc... derailed again).

Last but not least his 2 dominating performances against Big Nog who is the 2nd greatest HW of all time next to Fedor ffs, 1 in Pride against a prime Big Nog and 1 in the UFC. As we all know the vicious ground and pound he displayed in his first fight with him was just hard to watch. They had to carry the legend to his corner as you can see in the pic below, probably out of the arena for all we know. And we all know there was no one ever as tough as a prime Big Nog. Stepping up and fighting heavyweight champions multiple times like he did with Coleman and Big Nog is something I always admired.

What you Sherdoggers think?

naw I am sure in some 56th parallel universe there is maybe someone who had a dream about it once

Great fighter, but not the greatest..

I appreciate your fandom though..

So you're not a nuthugger, but you really believe Shogun is (or should be) undefeated? Seems legit.

Getting your ass whooped (Jones) or getting KTFO (OSP) are credible ways of losing a fight. What's your excuse for him getting subbed by the mighty Chael?

<21>

One of the biggest smelliest horse shit I've ever seen in recent years

Do us a favor TS, Please cease to exist in this universe

No, Shogun and Shogun's mom may agree with you. Other than that no.

My favorite all time fighter but no. P4P GOAT is Mighty Mouse

Shogun will always be one of my favourites. Just a genuine nice guy, classy in victory, classy in defeat. Winning the Pride GP at 23 years old like he did against such competition is an accomplishment that many forget, but that still, to this day, ranks among the greatest things accomplished by an MMA fighter. All his fights are entertaining, and the guy goes for the finish. He's from the legendary Chute Boxe camp and is Wand's protégé and good friend. I think he should hang them up sooner than later, but no one can deny what he has done.

You may not be the "only one", but you are certainly in a very small group.

The short answer: Yes.

The long answer: Yes, are you insane?

Great fighter, but not the greatest..

I appreciate your fandom though..
If only more of the real fight rules still existed. Another reason that people just don't get it, that he really is the greatest ever.

Biased or not, I can't hate on anything regarding Shogun as he is in my top 5 favorite fighters ever

If only more of the real fight rules still existed. Another reason that people just don't get it, that he really is the greatest ever.

yea soccer kicking hapless japanese cans make you the GOAT

Shogun padded his records with garbage japanese fighters just like all other Pride fighters.

loss to forrest eliminates from goat discussion.
That's just another loss that doesn't even matter. He didn't need to fight him a 2nd time to avenge it because everyone already knew what was up. Like I said he pointlessly avenged that loss like Fedor did with TK.

Back