Am I the only one that thinks GGG was giving Canelo a boxing lesson?

I was able to see the punches landing. Able to see Canelo backing him up and ripping shots to his body, responding with combos anytime he got hit. IF it weren't for Golovkins reputation as a big puncher, no one would think this was that close.

Canelo held the center but he wasn't backing anyone up. GGG's back never came close to the ropes. He circled and fired with volume. Canelo stayed stationary in the center and that's why his head kept getting snapped back by straight punches. And for all of Canelo's heralded body work, he was the one who gassed.

I actually hit a parlay on this fight for Lemieux ko chocolatito ko & canelo decision and made a few G's so when I watched the first time I was actually wanting Canelo to win, and seen what appeared to be a draw or a close GGG win, so it wasn't no bias because I'm stoked on my money but shit there is some skills displayed that are amazing from GGG that I haven't seen him do before, and maybe that mesmerized my score the second time around.

But for real it ain't even just that, its the consistency of the jab. To me, the jab would stop Canelo from throwing for a decent amount of time, he would land a flashy shot then it would rinse and repeat. I guess its like: do you like the jabber or the guy trying to hurt the other guy. I saw Canelo peppered with jabs and didn't think his power shots were enough to take away the consistency of control GGG was doing.

I have 5 years of boxing training from one of the greatest boxing minds ever, Floyd Mayweather Sr., so trust me when I say I know how to box. if you are standing in the middle of the ring the whole time, and not the one circling, you are being BOXED. You are taking the stance of a counter puncher to a degree but you are unable to trap your opponent, your opponent is moving around you, and you are being controlled. At no point did Canelo control GGG or use effective pressure, he just stood his ground more.

Canelo don't get no extra points for being a badass this time around, which he is, and standing his ground. GGG never really attempted to pressure him back to the ropes and that's evident by the fact that GGG was the one who faded and in the last 3 rounds he actually showed what effective pressure looks like.

Swing rounds in mind and watching with an extreme canelo bias like I did the first time around, you can give at most 6 rounds to him. But GGG didn't lose the fight, period. If you look at it with a Golovkin bias, 118-110 is very possible, which is what I came up with rewatching it a second time. I had the same card as Harold Lederman except I thought GGG won rounds 1 & 2.

Regardless hail canelo for making me my money, but as soon as some gif's can be made of this fight I'll see if I can show you what amazes me so much about some of the things he was doing in there.

Also, you can't judge based off how someones face looks, this is boxing and is a round by round sport.

I stand by the fact that GGG is just a better boxer and fighter than Canelo, overall and in every which way. I predicted canelo would win this fight because I thought GGG was a bit one dimensional and was figured out by the end of the first fight, I was wrong but I was right.

Just seen a video with Paulie though and I guess I'm not the only one, he took the words out my mouth about all I had to say.

Canelo held the center but he wasn't backing anyone up. GGG's back never came close to the ropes. He circled and fired with volume. Canelo stayed stationary in the center and that's why his head kept getting snapped back by straight punches. And for all of Canelo's heralded body work, he was the one who gassed.

“Snapped back” ANOTHER DELUDED FAN BOY.

No, I think GGG won but it was far from a lesson, both are very skilled and they are pretty much equals. Floyd gave Manny a lesson.

No, I think GGG won but it was far from a lesson, both are very skilled and they are pretty much equals. Floyd gave Manny a lesson.

Yeah boxing lesson isn't the right term, put on a boxing clinic at times is the better way to describe it, he didn't teach canelo anything. Canelo too displayed master boxing skills but I'm serious I seen GGG do things I simply didn't think he was capable of.

As I said he was doing a lot of that things Floyd did to him, just didn't have the look of control like Floyd did. Particularly shooting the jab, light feint with the hook into the jab, repeated while stepping around.

He was even throwing pull counters lol.

GGG definitely was out jabbing him though, although I've thought for a while GGG has the best jab in boxing.

“Snapped back” ANOTHER DELUDED FAN BOY.

His head was being snapped back by the jab, lol at calling someone pointing out GGG's most obvious weapon in the fight & it's result a "deluded fan boy", you sound like a deluded idiot

m96jjd.jpg

Maybe I'm tripping then I seen dude circle the ring keep Alvarez in the middle and jab his head off, then in the last 3-4 rounds I seen him actually pressure canelo and put him on the ropes, actually move and hurt him with clean shots, and overall just showed superior boxing ability. I'ma rewatch it and try and see it with a bias towards canelo and see what I come up with - but activity matters and when ur constantly being peppered by a jab that shit is embarrassing.

I think in the first fight, Canelo baited Golovkin into eating punches by talking about how hes going to fight like a Mexican and whatever, and then perplexed GGG when he instead boxed him up.

I think GGG tried to do the same in the 2nd fight, by talking all this shit, so that canelo would think they are going to sit there and trade punches, and then for the first 6 rounds or so decided to circle and box. In the last 3 rounds his dumbass trainer who thinks eating punches is a good thing told him he is losing the fight, which clearly we now know he was, and to come forward, so we got to see the normal come forward GGG, and GGG's punches were really moving Canelo, hurting him, and he was actually pressuring him and putting him where he wanted.

Pretty much I think GGG wanted Canelo in the middle of the ring exactly where he was, and when he decided to turn it up he put Canelo on the ropes multiple times exactly where he wanted him and clearly was causing more damage with his punches.

Activity is also another huge point - if ur a counter puncher, an effective counter puncher, u should slow ur opponents activity down. Golovkin jabbed him every 3 seconds of every round and it looked like most were landing.

Hey bro ur hard as nails.

All you need to know is that Abel, Gennady's trainer doesn't even think he won.

Look at the ass kicking the neya took...
29gdbv4.jpg

I disagree with you @YoungCashMoney I thought t was pretty close and canelo did some excellent work that should also be recognized.

Also where’s your videos we haven’t had any sparring vids in a long time.

If GGG is such a boxer with supreme, how come he was unable to use his power advantage to just mow Canelo down? Canelo is the one boxing way above his weight class.

You didn’t drop any names, so your opinion is invalid.
Hey man, I will have you know that Fat Dan and I sat across from each other once at a Mexican restaurant. I think he missed his conference cause he was chowing down on too many burritos. Can't blame him though, burritos > watching Tevin Farmer fight.

If GGG is such a boxer with supreme, how come he was unable to use his power advantage to just mow Canelo down? Canelo is the one boxing way above his weight class.
Lol Canelo is right at his weight class tbh.

I disagree with you @YoungCashMoney I thought t was pretty close and canelo did some excellent work that should also be recognized.

Also where’s your videos we haven’t had any sparring vids in a long time.

Canelo showed a ton in the fight, speed and power was on point & he let his balls hang which I give him full credit for, both excellent fighters just a bit disgusted that from a true skill standpoint, and not a toughness contest, to me GGG was a step above. Both on the back foot & the front foot.

It is a very very close fight, because every round is close. But to me, Golovkin won damn near every round by a close margin, which makes for my wide scorecard. Just watching the fighters fight though, and not on a round by round basis, it was a great close fight between 2 great fighters. Scorecards shouldn't have Canelo winning though - most rounds have a real real solid argument that Golovkin won them, maybe 6 rounds have an argument that canelo won them. Draw is the best possible decision for Canelo while I think 118-110 117-111 is very possible for GGG

& I'm still working on things here and there just been dealing with family issues, my full attention is needed elsewhere right now. Soon as I can give my 100 to boxing tho I'm going to.

Canelo backed him up with punches.... nearly every time they exchanged GGG was pushed back. Thats what everyone saw.

Canelo backed him up with punches.... nearly every time they exchanged GGG was pushed back. Thats what everyone saw.

you do realise in boxing when a guy comes forward and starts swinging on you it's the technically sound thing to do to try and avoid the punches, then reset so you can actually land effective punches on a guy that's now right on top of you. How many effective punches can you land on a guy 1 inch away from you coming forwards.....

You do realise there were multiple head collisions in this fight as it is. I guess they should have just have a headbutting or wrestling match. To Golovkins credit he is a pretty clean boxer and doesn't grab/hold when others would. He's rather reset and throw punches....that what boxing is

Comments like this show that you know nothing about boxing/golovkin. Golovkin has always been a good technical boxer, whether he's going backwards or forwards is irrelevant.

Backing up/ running is what Canelo did in the first fight. I trust you had golovkin comfortably winning that fight...…

we've heard this before. Golovkin didn't win by stoppage/ nuclear destruction, so he lost.

you do realise in boxing when a guy comes forward and starts swinging on you it's the technically sound thing to do to try and avoid the punches, then reset so you can actually land effective punches on a guy that's now right on top of you. How many effective punches can you land on a guy 1 inch away from you coming forwards.....

You do realise there were multiple head collisions in this fight as it is. I guess they should have just have a headbutting or wrestling match. To Golovkins credit he is a pretty clean boxer and doesn't grab/hold when others would. He's rather reset and throw punches....that what boxing is

Comments like this show that you know nothing about boxing/golovkin. Golovkin has always been a good technical boxer, whether he's going backwards or forwards is irrelevant.

Backing up/ running is what Canelo did in the first fight. I trust you had golovkin comfortably winning that fight...…

we've heard this before. Golovkin didn't win by stoppage/ nuclear destruction, so he lost.
Comments like this show that you have no comprehension for what you read. I never said GGG ran, and i never said GGG isnt technically sound. Ggg wasnt moving his feet, avoiding and reseting buddy, the force of punches landed was moving him back... thats the difference. Ive only seen GGG outboxed by canelo and Jacobs, the rest of his opposition he was able to outbox soundly. Floyd, lara, crawford, rigo, and loma are among my favorite fighters so i know what sound boxing looks like and GGG for as good as he is gets hit too cleanly by canelo for anybody to say he outboxed him with a solid jab and an occasional power punch.
Ps, nowhere did i say either man thoroughly outboxed either man in the contest. Ive watched both fights several times and thought they were close enough to be draws , or scored for either fighter depending upon what you like. For me the body punching of Canelo just did enough while GGG was purposely jabbing the lead glove of Canelo... thats not a scoring punch no matter how excited lampley gets about it. At the end of most exhanges Canelo landed the last punch, and moved GGG backward. I think if GGG knew to end exchanges with the jab the fight wouldve been his for sure. Nonetheless i liked the fight so much, and thought they fought so well that its hard to call either man a loser. Dont make assumptions any further cause you look stupid pretending to know another persons view of multiple contests based on a post that was 2 lines long.

Last edited:

Canelo came forward in bursts. Your accusing GGG of using footwork to avoid a surging opponent. It's called boxing, not "stand still and get punched-ing".

Canelo came forward in bursts. Your accusing GGG of using footwork to avoid a surging opponent. It's called boxing, not "stand still and get punched-ing".
No im not you goof, GGG didnt move his feet he wanted to stand his ground.
No where did i talk about any foot work period because they werent using any, they were in arms range and exchanging... canelo was landing the better punches and the punches were moving GGG back. Ggg was not moving back because he wanted to, the force of the punches were knocking him back.

Last edited:
I'm still working on things here and there just been dealing with family issues, my full attention is needed elsewhere right now. Soon as I can give my 100 to boxing tho I'm going to.

I think you're off-base with regards to this fight, but I'm looking forward to seeing your future work. I've just started getting my old-ass back in the gym in the last couple of weeks; good luck with the family stuff and have fun getting your not-so-old-ass back into it. And stretch. Jesus I wish I stretched more in my 20's.

Back