Am i getting enough aerobic exercise?

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by dempseeyy, May 16, 2017.

1. dempseeyy White Belt

dempseeyy
    So my training has been pretty half assed for the last year or so and am just getting back into it seriously.
    I spray weeds for work so on an average work day ill walk anywhere from 5-10km with a 10 litre spray pack on my back, its not intense by any means but it isnt easy (pushing through vines, climbing and ducking fallen trees, up and down hills) im wondering if this, as well as bjj and kickboxing 2-3 times a week would be adequate aerobic exercise?
    Reason i ask is i dont have a lot of time in my weekly schedule to fit in strength and conditioning sessions so im wondering if i can just focus on doing sprints etc. and strength training. TIA for any responses.
    Sorry if it's a retarded question, sounds stupid reading back over it but ill post anyway

2. PUO3 You are a can.

PUO3
    Enough aerobic exercise for what? Youre more active than a lot of people right now, but not as active as a lot of athletes. So it really depends on what your goals are.

If its just to maintain health Id say youre fine.

Phlog likes this.
  3. dempseeyy White Belt

dempseeyy
    Sorry i wasnt very specific at all... goals are to do a few jits comps (at blue belt level if that makes any difference) and possibly start fighting again 4-6 months down the track. I want to know if my time would be better spent focusing just on strength training and sprints instead of jogging or swimming. Id say i have the time to fit in 3 sessions of whatever a week

ripskater likes this.
  4. Cmart Aspiring Milo

Cmart
    This depends -- when you roll with guys at the same skill level as you, do you find yourself more often overpowered, or outgassed? I'd suggest you work on the one that is more of an issue for you personally.

dempseeyy, ripskater and PUO3 like this.
  5. Phlog Black Belt

Phlog
    It's relative, like the guys above said.

ripskater likes this.
  6. PUO3 You are a can.

PUO3
    How do things feel at practice now? If competition is the goal then yes Id say youll need to intensify the workouts. But being that youre already training that should give you a good baseline of where you are or need to be.

If its easy right now, practice with people better than you and gauge where you need to improve from there. For example, if you get easily outmuscled and ragdolled you probably need some strength training. If youre sucking wind a few minutes in then conditioning. If your technique is shit than more practice on your skills. Etc.

dempseeyy and ripskater like this.