Am I an old man or does modern rap music suck?

A$AP Mob is legit though, If there were a modern Wu-Tang Clan it would be them

Like I don't understand how these guys get record deals. I normally am not the one to hate on other peoples success but this is mind boggling. These guys arent even trying but for some reason these kids love it. Lol im 28 btw.

Both, you cucklord! <3

Ugh.. this thread again. No rap doesn't suck. Most of the rap promoted in the mainstream is garbage yes.

However we are in a new golden era of rap and hip hop. J Cole, Kendrick Lamar, lil dicky, Flatbush zombies, Hopsin, Denzel Curry, Royce da 5-9

Last edited:
I'm old enough to have seen Public Enemy and Schooly D live and I don't think rap is in any better or worse shape than it's ever been. As with everything you just have to search for stuff that appeals to you. Anyways, a couple of my current favorites -

However we are in a new golden era of rap and hip hop. J Cole, Kendrick Lamar, lil dicky, Flatbush zombies, Hopsin, Denzel Curry, Royce da 5-9
Has Royce been droppin shit still? But anyways I love Cole but Kendrick just doesn't do it for me. I can never hate on him tho. Hes def not who I was talking about when I Made this thread.

I'm old enough to have seen Public Enemy and Schooly D live and I don't think rap is in any better or worse shape than it's ever been. As with everything you just have to search for stuff that appeals to you. Anyways, a couple of my current favorites -

I fuck with Joey

There's some good rap out there right now, Kendrick, Childish Gambino, Chance. If you like 90's West Coast rap, Young Thug sounds like we would have fit in with Death Row in their prime.

Remy Boys and Rich Homie Quan and Rae Sremmurd etc are pretty terrible though.

Modern mainstream rap has arguably always been more or less the same. To me it has rarely ever been appealing. What you consider the rap music of today, is the bad boy and no limit records of yesterday.

The older you get the more likely it becomes that you have no energy left to dig for the good stuff.

The older you get the more likely it becomes that you have no energy left to dig for the good stuff.
Yeah this is my problem. I use to care about this stuff but ive lost complete interest over the last couple of years

Ugh.. this thread again. No rape doesn't suck. Most of the rap promoted in the mainstream is garbage yes.

Hmm. I'd never consider him part of the golden era of anything. He's oozing with talent but needs to figure out a way to transition into a more serious role. He's kind of backed himself into a corner a gimmick. I can't see him having any sort of staying power if he keeps on going down the path he's on.

Like I don't understand how these guys get record deals. I normally am not the one to hate on other peoples success but this is mind boggling. These guys arent even trying but for some reason these kids love it. Lol im 28 btw.

We're in the same age range. With age, I lose more and more interest in what is cool. Today, I don't mind some dub (seriously someone had to tell me what it was lol). I don't mind skrillex. I like drake. He puts out banger after banger. The weekend starboy is nasty. Daft Punk hook is filthy. What is called rap now, I don't get but, we grew up on 90s Puffy, Mase, Biggie, Tupac, etc. 90s was incredible. Smashing Pumpkins, Foo Fighters, Nirvana, and just that sound. It wont ever be the same again.

Modern rap music is pure garbage. Same goes for modern pop/top 40 that mixes rap into it. No talent, no effort, they use autotune, ect. Boring music by boring people.

And yet, they are rich, living it up, and we go to our day jobs. UGHHH

Yeah this is my problem. I use to care about this stuff but ive lost complete interest over the last couple of years

Same thing happened to me for about 6-7 years. Over the last year or two I've gone on a few 1-2 hour binge digs and I've found a lot of hip hop that I really enjoy and had no idea existed. There is so much music out there nowadays. It's overwhelming. It's so easy for artists to get their content out to listeners now due to things like soundcloud, bandcamp, youtube, Spotify, Google music etc.

Once you start digging a bit you start finding stuff really quickly.

Rap hasn't been good since Public Enemy and NWA/Ice Cube solo. At least most of their music had or made a point.

Eminem was probably the closest more recent version of a good rapper, that guy had talent.

Hmm. I'd never consider him part of the golden era of anything. He's oozing with talent but needs to figure out a way to transition into a more serious role. He's kind of backed himself into a corner a gimmick. I can't see him having any sort of staying power if he keeps on going down the path he's on.
Every rapper has a gimmick; and being an anti rapper who's lyrics are like the antithesis of rap is a pretty good one.

Every rapper has a gimmick; and being an anti rapper who's lyrics are like the antithesis of rap is a pretty good one.

Well I wish him all the best. I like some of his music, I just get tired of him pretty quickly.

It's all money making formulas now. The art has kind of been lost in the shuffle. Same with movies and other types of popular music.

Back