Alvarez on why he landed illegal knees on Poirier

Why is that a very interesting answer?

Tbh should have been a DQ, not sure how that was a NC.

Yet 99% of fighters are able to follow the rules regarding illegal knees.

Grabbing the fence is an instinct, everybody does it, it is a reflex to prevent the body from falling.

Enough fighters have demonstrated the ability to refrain from illegal knees and other similar things like punches after the bell. It can be done and fighters continue to demonstrate the ability to refrain from throwing illegal strikes.

Eddie, in my opinion, was losing and he found a way to hurt Poirier thus preventing himself from getting beaten.

He has also been a bit of a prick about it after the fact.

-Dustin stood up for him and handled the situation with class

-Eddie responded by calling Poirier a quitter and refusing to accept responsibility for his illegal strikes (even taking credit for the damage they caused as though it was a legit technique that hurt Dustin)

Last edited:
Bisping said the same thing that everything is instinctual.

Here come the idiots saying Eddie is wrong because they know so much more about fighting than him.

I don't believe him. Eddie has been in multiple knock down drag out brawls and never landed illegal knees before.

I don't why he did it but I don't buy instinct as one of the reasons.

Grabbing the fence is an instinct, everybody does it, it is a reflex to prevent the body from falling.

Enough fighters have demonstrated the ability to refrain from illegal knees and other similar things like punches after the bell. It can be done and fighters continue to demonstrate the ability to refrain from throwing illegal strikes.

I'm sure Eddie would be able to restrain himself 99% of the time as well but the brain is an imperfect organ and sometimes your usual restraint gets lost in the heat of the moment. Humans aren't robots who are gonna react the very same in every single situation.

I believe him.

Adrenaline is a hell of a drug.

One of the people that replied mentioned the time when Wand almost soccer kicked Bisping's face in... has to be extra hard for Pride veterans to turn off the kicks and stomps.

Dustin’s knee was on the ground. Either Eddie was running on adrenaline and fumes or he doesn’t know what a grounded opponent is.

Instinct kicks in when you're fighting to survive. Alvarez was already gassed and hurt himself by that time so I believe him. It's not the same thing as landing a knee early in a fight or when you're totally clear headed and haven't taken much damage.

I'm sure Eddie would be able to restrain himself 99% of the time as well but the brain is an imperfect organ and sometimes your usual restraint gets lost in the heat of the moment. Humans aren't robots who are gonna react the very same in every single situation.
Maybe, but I find the circumstances to be suspect.

Eddie has not been prone to throwing illegal shots or fighting dirty to my memory. He has demonstrated the ability to refrain whichbi previously mentioned.

But when he had been hurt by Poirier he then throws the knee which changes the momentum of the fight.

Mighty Big coincidence.... maybe his brains were still scrambled. We will never know for sure.

Eddie was losing and he found a way to hurt Poirier thus preventing himself from getting beaten.

He has also been a bit of a prick about it after the fact.

-Dustin stood up for him and handled the situation with class

-Eddie responded by calling Poirier a quitter and refusing to accept responsibility for his illegal strikes (even taking credit for the damage they caused as though it was a legit technique that hurt Dustin)
Eddie has fought in orgs where knees were legal to downed opponents though, right? When he was in Dream?

Goofs think its like a video game and not 2 people trying to kill each other until a ref stops it. Lame rule anyway

Maybe, but I find the circumstances to be suspect.

Eddie has not been prone to throwing illegal shots or fighting dirty to my memory. He has demonstrated the ability to refrain whichbi previously mentioned.

But when he had been hurt by Poirier he then throws the knee which changes the momentum of the fight.

Mighty Big coincidence.... maybe his brains were still scrambled. We will never know for sure.

Yeah, like I said people can't be expected to react the very same in every situation, the brain is a larger and more complicated rush of emotions than that.

Also the momentum was already back in Eddie's favor anyway, that's why Dustin was on the ground in the first place.

Eddie has fought in orgs where knees were legal to downed opponents though, right? When he was in Dream?
He did. It wAs a long time ago though and only 1-2 fights out of his career.

Back