Alvarez is on the Prelims

No one is going to buy a PPV to see Eddie. But they might tune in for the prelims to see him which may then lead to a boost of PPV buys for what is a stellar card.

I always laugh at the folk on here who rip fighters apart - let's see video of your fights?

From the interview he gave on Helwani's show who informed him he was on the prelims, he said he didn't care. It sounded like he just wants to get back in there. And I don't think the UFC are "punishing him" I think it's quite the opposite. The fight could be absolutely woeful or it could be a cracker. But either way, the fighters on the prelims will probably have more eyes on them - and on paper, I think it has the makings of a good fight, but that doesn't guarantee it will be, obviously.

I remember, for example, when Dos Santos was going on a tear, they'd put him on the opening slot of the PPV because there was always that chance he'd KO whoever he was fighting and he did so until he started moving up on the card and getting tougher opponents.

If the prelim fights are anywhere decent, that might sway the people who have to buy the PPV's into doing so and Alvarez' brawling style of fighting - which I don't think we've seen in his time in the UFC - we may get to see it against Poirier.

Very well written, nice take on it as well esp. the critical timtam eating soy latte drinking sherdog posters. I can see that now, thought it was disrespectful thanks

People like Cruz, Faber and Tate have been on prelims before but I guess they are slowly amping it up weight class wise.

LEL Dude should be 1-4 in the UFC with his only win coming against malnourished RDA.

Cerrone SPANKED him

Melendez #REKT his face

Pettis should've gotten the nod in their fight

And Connie KO'd him.

Eddie Alvarez is right where he belongs.

conor punched him back to prelims

Eddie should get a unranked guy, for real. How is he still #3?
Chiesa would maul him.

Entertaining fighter?....Go watch the Pettis fight, and he was champ for like 3 days, press conferences were not as entertaining as Nate´s.

LEL Dude should be 1-4 in the UFC with his only win coming against malnourished RDA.

Cerrone SPANKED him

Melendez #REKT his face

Pettis should've gotten the nod in their fight

And Connie KO'd him.

Eddie Alvarez is right where he belongs.

I would give him Melendez fight tho, it would had been a NC if Giblert had won.

Lol so what? He won the LW title on fight pass. Its a promotion.

The showcase pre lim fighting or the last fight before the main card is more important than the first fight on the PPV.

Weird. The Sherdog main page shows a different line up for 2011 than the UFC website.

I personally don't care what the line up is, I will watch the fights in any order, there are some great match ups.

With their new ways of doing things I feel like headlining the prelims is actually a better placement than midcard on the PPV. They use the headliner on the prelims to lure people in to buy the PPV..

I always laugh at the folk on here who rip fighters apart - let's see video of your fights?

From the interview he gave on Helwani's show who informed him he was on the prelims, he said he didn't care. It sounded like he just wants to get back in there. And I don't think the UFC are "punishing him" I think it's quite the opposite. The fight could be absolutely woeful or it could be a cracker. But either way, the fighters on the prelims will probably have more eyes on them - and on paper, I think it has the makings of a good fight, but that doesn't guarantee it will be, obviously.

I remember, for example, when Dos Santos was going on a tear, they'd put him on the opening slot of the PPV because there was always that chance he'd KO whoever he was fighting and he did so until he started moving up on the card and getting tougher opponents.

If the prelim fights are anywhere decent, that might sway the people who have to buy the PPV's into doing so and Alvarez' brawling style of fighting - which I don't think we've seen in his time in the UFC - we may get to see it against Poirier.

Again, I appreciate your thoughts. Good post.

I don't mind them having a sort've marquee fight on the prelims as a way to entice fans... that's just fucking good business sense. I just think that Alvarez isn't that guy... he's a main or co-main fighter for me at this stage. They seem to like doing this with Poirier though... his fight with Joe Duffy was a Fight Pass headliner and it was a very fucking enjoyable fight indeed.

See if I'm honest... I'm probably just bitter that I've cancelled my fight pass subscription and need to use more nefarious methods to watch the fights. BT Sport has a much better visual quality than firstrowsports, ya know?

There are such simple reasons why bout order is usually how it is.How people don't understand them or why they care so much is beyond me.You don't see many threads like this on mma sites,sherdog pumps out about a hundred per event lol.

They put Alvarez on the prelims to cause controversy,ultimately creating hype,and to make you mad.There you have it,the real reasons!

literal prelim fighter and people used to get triggered when i called him a journeyman LOL

Back