Alvarez fought against RDA the exact same way he fought against Conor

PubliusVentidius

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Just rewatched that fight and he was constantly circling right against a southpaw, getting pressured against the cage and losing the exchanges, he shot from miles away a few times and was shut down with ease and ate some hard knees and leg kicks, he had that same ''deer caught in the headlights'' demeanour he had against Conor until that fluke punch. The ''I didn't follow the gameplan'' myth is total bunk.

yh eddie sucks, he got the title shot with two wins that were a joke, pettis and Melendez were literally the only decently ranked fighters small/weak enough for his crappy fighting style to work....humping and fence holding to a split decision. Never should have been near the title. RDA is still one of my favourite fighters

eddie felt that left hand of conor early... then a few more times after!!

RDA is the better fighter and would have won handily if it went the distance. Once Eddie had him hurt, he threw everything he had at him because he knew it was his only chance at winning.

RDA is the better fighter and would have won handily if it went the distance. Once Eddie had him hurt, he threw everything he had at him because he knew it was his only chance at winning.

could also say eddie went for the kill (KO/TKO finish) like most fighters do when they see an opportunity!!!

RDA is the better fighter because *you* think he would have won if the fight would have gone the distance? the entire point of fighting is to finish your opponent and guess what? Alvarez did just that.

f9oc8w.jpg

Of course the "Eddie just didn't follow his game plan" narrative is a myth. He shot plenty of takedowns and just couldn't get them. He even had Conor against the cage for a good while and still couldn't do it.

could also say eddie went for the kill (KO/TKO finish) like most fighters do when they see an opportunity!!!
Nobody goes that hard for the finish if they don't think it's their only shot at winning. Take Mcgregor for example, he still picks his spots even after he badly hurts his opponent. Eddie was being wreckless and would have had nothing left in the tank if he didn't get the finish. He was just throwing with wreckless abandon hoping he'd land another good punch that would finish him but still wasn't even able to knock him down.

Last edited:
RDA is the better fighter because *you* think he would have won if the fight would have gone the distance? the entire point of fighting is to finish your opponent and guess what? Alvarez did just that.

f9oc8w.jpg
He's a better fighter because he took out Cowboy, Benson, dominated Pettis etc... He has better technique, reflexes, timing etc... and can fight at a higher pace.

Eddie's just not that great of a fighter. He's short with sloppy striking, but even brawlers can land good shots if you're not careful. Even after he landed the big shot on RDA, he swung and missed on a majority of his punches trying to finish, and got a TKO without even dropping his opponent cause RDA just couldn't compose himself enough to get back into it. Honestly, Eddie's a pretty good fighter, but I don't think anyone really thought he was the best LW, and he got his shot by getting 2 SDs over guys who've both gone 1-4 in the last few years.

He's like Bisping; a pretty solid gatekeeper level fighter who got a chance and landed a good punch against someone who's probably an overall better fighter.

Eddie was clearly terrified of conor after the first shot that landed clean. He was getting a bit of confidence back in the 2nd round right before he got KO'd.

Just rewatched that fight and he was constantly circling right against a southpaw, getting pressured against the cage and losing the exchanges, he shot from miles away a few times and was shut down with ease and ate some hard knees and leg kicks, he had that same ''deer caught in the headlights'' demeanour he had against Conor until that fluke punch. The ''I didn't follow the gameplan'' myth is total bunk.
his path to the TS was complete BS.

Well ... if he did not lose, he might have won

;)

Nobody goes that hard for the finish if they don't think it's their only shot at winning. Take Mcgregor for example, he still picks his spots even after he badly hurts his opponent. Eddie was being wreckless and would have had nothing left in the tank if he didn't get the finish. He was just throwing with wreckless abandon hoping he'd land another good punch that would finish him but still wasn't even able to knock him down.

from what i remember eddie didnt swing too wild n wreckless... most landed but RDA never bounced back!!

He has better technique, reflexes, timing etc... and can fight at a higher pace.

and yet he still got finished by Alvarez who is a top 10 fighter for almost 10 years now and has beaten many top 10 fighters aswell.

RDA is a great competitor but Eddie was the better fighter that night.

Eddie is very well-rounded, but he is just mediocre at everything. He is a warrior for sure, but isn't talented enough to hang with the very best, imo. Good for him that he managed to get the title, but I'd bet on RDA in a rematch without a doubt.

and yet he still got finished by Alvarez who is a top 10 fighter for almost 10 years now and has beaten many top 10 fighters aswell.

RDA is a great competitor but Eddie was the better fighter that night.
He wasn't even dropped one time. A lot of fighters have been given the liberty and chance to recover from much more damage. I felt like Eddie would have been gassed there after the 1st round. RDA walked away after the stoppage, not even wobbled.

I mean, its a title fight... the champ shouldn't be standing-TKOd in the 1st round. He got caught, he would have recovered.

Then against Tony, RDA was winning handily till he got blatantly poked in the eye, and ended up seeing double.

RDA is just really unlucky. Still one of my favorite fighters. Hope he rebounds from this and returns to the beast form we've seen from him.

Not just that fight, Alvarez always fights similarly. I can think of 2 fights where he didn't brawl like a madman - the Aoki rematch and the Chandler rematch. Early. Backpedaled more. Otherwise he throws down and usually shoots either when hurt or when gassed, but isn't a great wrestler, so his shots turn into clinching against the cage. It's no surprise he did the same vs Conor. And yep the RDA fight went his way before that punch.

It's just that when you become champ you automatically become the favorite, usually against everyone. Faulty nature of the sport.

Beat a lot of world champs though. To say a LW who's been in the top 5 for the last 9 years "is a bad fighter" means that arguably the most stacked division in the last 10 years sucks. Think of Wanderlei Silva. Aggression, heart, speed and power matter in fighting. Technique isn't the only way to get it done.

He's short with sloppy striking, but even brawlers can land good shots if you're not careful. Even after he landed the big shot on RDA, he swung and missed on a majority of his punches trying to finish

I think in fairness he probably got an adrenaline rush from wobbling dos Anjos and his decision making wasn't processing all that well when dos Anjos looked one good punch away from being done. That flying knee he threw from halfway across the cage could have been costly if dos Anjos recovered quickly.

I agree re: his Boxing. He had dos Anjos up against the cage and he's throwing looping uppercuts from his hip that some of them weren't connecting with. It's nothing against Alvarez, but when I hear Rogan and Hardy talking about his great Boxing, I'm wondering if they're watching the same shots being thrown.

It almost seems like because he's from Philadelphia and it has produced a lot of Boxers he automatically has good Boxing because he's from there. It's wild, uncoordinated and like a lot of MMA fighters, he's not throwing his shots from his shoulder.

Back