Alternative wrestling styles

TheFakeMacoy

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
I was reading this article on Arjan Singh Bhullar where he talks about how Kushti wrestling helped him prepare for MMA and wrestling at the Olympics.
Source: https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2018/4/...khi-sikh-warriors-india-punjabi-mma-interview

Here's a short documentary on Kushti:

This got me wondering, has anyone here trained in any of the less common wrestling or grappling styles? If so, was it something that you found beneficial or at least fun? I think Holt posted that he trained in Cornish wrestling before, but does anyone else have some stories? I haven't done any of the styles off the beaten path myself, but they do seem interesting.

Dude, i'd fucking love to train with a sumo guy

A majority of the Georgian judo team have trained in Chidaoba (indigenous wrestling from Georgian people). It is quite cool.

A majority of the Georgian judo team have trained in Chidaoba (indigenous wrestling from Georgian people). It is quite cool.
That does sound pretty neat. I can see how that would apply to judo as its rules fit well with the current restriction on leg grabs. I guess this is similar to how Mongolian judoka also train (or have trained) in Mongolian wrestling or Bökh.

And this too

Humans invented bull fighting, I wonder why no deer fighting.

If we can include sumo, I think we can count this too

Dan Gable trained for the friggin Olympics by doing go after go of upper body type drills with Iowa Football players. Bruce Baumgartner trained with football players too.

I did Swiss Schwingen for most of my life. I probably have 500 matches or so.

Since this thread has morphed into a list of those alternative wrestling styles, Im curious about Ssirium, the Korean style that Hong man Choi was said to be good at.

Also, I believe some of those senegalese wrestlers have crossed over into freestyle and showed up at worlds.

There is also Scottish Backhold Wrestling:

Back