Alternative to Isami gi (for BJJ)

KShaft

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Okay, lets say I don't care about artwork or patches etc... on a gi and I just care about quality, fit, and mobility. Lets say also I can't afford an Isami gi (lets forgo that I can buy a jacket by itself and use it with another gi's pants. I may do that but I am also looking for alternatives to that option), and lets say I would want something not HEAVY double weave(light double like Isami is fine) because I have several Judo gis including 3 made in Japan gis that are all double weave.

What gi would you recommend?

My budget would be $100-$150.

Okay. Ive narrowed it down to a few Gis, maybe with this I can get some opinions on specific gis.

Im looking at

-Inverted Panda 3.0 (Id look at a hemp or bamboo one but I dont see any on their site)
-WarTribe Legacy
-Vulkan Pro or Ultra light
-Keiko summer or limited (Im concerned about the reputation for their gi's being more for lankier dudes which I am not!)
-Hypnotic Hemp
-93 Gear 100g (they have one in my size believe it or not)
-Fuji whatever, all around, Sekai,

Im looking to get a high quality, soft like a Japanese made Gi that breathes well in a light or mid weight. Im 5'3" 160 (Trying to get that back down to 140).

Thank you.

idk much about bjj, i've only got my blue belt in it lol but ask the people in your gym.....

for isami, i own around 4 pairs of gi's (for shinkyokushin karate) of isami from mid range to the top range $300 gi for tournies and tbh I train in them quite often too as they're so light and soft. i really recommend isami, even my mid range gi which i believe is around $150 usd as it was roughly $200 or a bit more aud (has been a few years) still is nice and soft. Obviously not as nice and soft as my $300 gi but still man, better than all those generic gi's your local dojos sell for $100 often branded under 'Zetts' etc imo.

btw it's just a gi.... having an expensive gi won't make you roll like a black belt automatically lol. any mid range gi will do the job, size wise gi's shrink anyway and you can shrink them in the washing if you need to shrink them. just find what size # you are. like anything however, the more you spend the better quality fabric your gi will possess. which is what determines the pricing factor and range.

Thanks for the reply. Im spoiled as when I was doing Judo more regularly, I bought 3 Japanese made gis. A Fujitaka 510, A Mizuno Sempai (slightly thined out supreme), and a tiger claw (or something) made in Japan gi (which was like a '50s cut. skirt down to the knees n crap lol) I just recently bought a Yawara because they were on sale for less than $100 which is insane. That one is a bit big on me but for that price, I jumped on it. The Yawara is not great for BJJ lol.

When looking at the BJJ gi's I really don't know what to make of em because it seems to be more about looks than quality. They have this flashy design, this patch, so lightweight you can use it as a kite, who freaking cares ya know what I mean? How bout quality of materials, moveability, durability, comfort, fit.

Im just trying to get the best bang for the buck and Im not easily satisfied. I mean I tried every other top end boxing glove (Reyes, Grants, etc...) before finally trying out winnings and that was the only one (at the time) that I felt was worth a damn. I know Im not going to be rollmassa just cause of a gi heheh. I know I like not too heavy (like a fuji DW) but soft and breathable gi.

Thanks
KS

if you want soft, surprisingly the softest gi ive ever had is my cheap fuji all-around gi, and ive had a shitload of gis

the closest thing i can compare it to is one of my higher end mizuno judo gis for softness

I just bought an Origin Gi for my son and it is relatively lightweight and seems durable as fuck.

(As for Winnings, their paint just doesn't hold up well. On my second pair and I think I am done with them.)

Thanks for all who replied! I bought a Panda 3.0 in blue. While it is a very well made gi and fits, it was not what I was looking for comfy wise. Its a bit stiff and rough. I thought about returning it but I think it will make a good comp gi.
So I will get another gi as there are so many sales going on.
I am looking at the Fuji gis, the Hyabusa Goordo (Gold Weave) as you can land those for $100, or just bite the bullet and get the Isami jacket. (Maybe thats what I should have done in the first place...)

So Broken Arrow are those gis really soft? They are pearl weave, not always known for softness...

And which (Akatsukix) Origin gi did you get for your son? How soft and comfortable is it?

Blank kimonos has a good gold weave with sizes in between. From my research gold is the softest of the weaves, but also a bit hotter than my single weave. Also heard gold weaves are a little more prone to shrinkage, but this varies from brands and batches. As I've heard most brands come from 2 large factories in Pakistan so chances are you're getting a common product based on the weave, but each batch of cotton is slightly different.

Yeah, and no one in the BJJ community seems to care about the quality of the product vs what patches are on it and if it is slim fit cool brah... I mean half of these places have pics with dudes with done up hair and posing looking away from the camera like some channel one ad for their gis. Some trite mother suckers. So combine that with very few factories that are making these gis and its hard to differentiate. Not to mention the companies themselves really don't help with thier marketing or product descriptions. ON TOP OF THAT, the products are always changing for fashion's sake despite how good a product might be. Fuji is good about NOT doing this. I know there are differences between the products despite all of this. I have a DW Fuji judo gi that is made Excellently! Soft as even my Japanese gis! So I can definitely believe what The Thrill said.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

So...... BJJHQ had a sale....... :D

Comparisons will follow (When it gets here, they havent shipped it yet).

Back