Al's Training Log

Yeah, I thought the drills looked like T&F. I am just getting into doing some T&F exercises myself, mostly to compliment my MMA training. Building it up gradually. If you want to learn how to do something right, go to the sources. It's great training! Do you have a sense of how it transfer to your rugby specificly? (don't know much about rugby atm, but I figure I will at some point haha)

Anyway, great log again. Keep up the good work.

Agreed, its something I really like training. It'll be interesting to see how it works for you, I'll be sure to follow your progress.

Regarding transference to rugby; a winger is typically associated with being fast, as well as being able to score tries. So having pace is a big characteristic of my position.

Friday 12-08-2016:

AM:

A) Tempo's:
150m x 12 ('60s)
- Averaged about 25s - 26s, last one was 24s, bit of a headwind on some reps, but comfortable enough regardless.

PM:

B) Hand-eye coordination

Agreed, its something I really like training. It'll be interesting to see how it works for you, I'll be sure to follow your progress.

Regarding transference to rugby; a winger is typically associated with being fast, as well as being able to score tries. So having pace is a big characteristic of my position.
Okay I see. Cool, I am learning as I go. Unfortunately I don't have any coach, but I'll try my best to do it gradually. I am getting into different skips, drop jumps (without rebound), box jumps, countermovement jumps and so forth. Basic mechanics and learning to land soft. Later I'll try bounding, hurdle variations, sprints and seated box jumps. Eventually I will move on to depth jumps, single legged bounding, single leg box jumps and harder variations of hurdles and such. I guess it's a combination of jump/plyo and T&F training. If you have pointers feel free to add anything!

Okay I see. Cool, I am learning as I go. Unfortunately I don't have any coach, but I'll try my best to do it gradually. I am getting into different skips, drop jumps (without rebound), box jumps, countermovement jumps and so forth. Basic mechanics and learning to land soft. Later I'll try bounding, hurdle variations, sprints and seated box jumps. Eventually I will move on to depth jumps, single legged bounding, single leg box jumps and harder variations of hurdles and such. I guess it's a combination of jump/plyo and T&F training. If you have pointers feel free to add anything!

That seems to be a good progression in intensity in my opinion! All the best with everything!

Saturday 13-08-2016:

AM:

A) Dynamic WU
B) Drills
C) Stride-outs

D) Speed:

20m fly x 5 (30m build-up)

Total speed volume: 100m.

E) 'A' drill:

PM:

Rugby: Passing accuracy, kicking accuracy and reaction work.

Sunday 14-08-2016:

PM:

Hand-eye coordination

Monday 15-08-2016:

AM:

A) Dynamic WU
B) Drills
C) Stride-outs

D) Accelerations:
10m x 5 (push up 'down' position)
20m x 3 (jump back start)
40m x 1 (3pt. start)
50m x 2 (3pt. start)
- Best I've felt over the last few weeks with these. Good response off the ground, good acceleration phase during 40m and 50m reps.

Total volume: 250m.

PM:

A) Clap push ups: x 5, 5, 5

B) Chin ups:
BW x 3, 3
20kg x 2
40kg x 1
52.5kg x 1 - PB*
55kg x fail
- The 52.5kg rep went well. Just hit a sticking point at the end during the 55kg rep, maybe should have gone straight to 55kg, or even attempt 53.75kg, but glad to get a PB regardless.

C) DB incline press:
30kg per hand x 10
30kg per hand x 8
30kg per hand x 8
- Never really liked doing any form of benching, but I've been enjoying doing the DB variations recently and feel I'm progressing with them.

D) The DeFranco Pull Apart: x 15, 15, 15

Tuesday 16-08-2016:

AM:

A) DB jump squat: 5kg per hand (10kg) x 3, 3, 3, 3, 3

B) Squat:
Bar x 10
60kg x 5, 5
100kg x 3 - All belted from here on.
130kg x 1 -
140kg x 1 -
160kg x 1 - PB*
170kg x 1 - PB*
- I was aiming for 160kg at least today, which felt fine. Decided to attempt 170kg afterwards, where I did a momentary pause at the bottom for some reason and was a grinder from there on. This is the fourth time I've done any squatting since my PL'ing endeavours so I'm very pleased with this, and since it's a big PB from 152.5kg.

C) GHR:
BW x 10
- Left them at one set as I remembered that I'm deadlifting on Thursday.

Rugby to come this evening . . .

Thursday 18-08-2016:

AM:

A) DB jump squat: 5kg per hand (10kg) x 3, 3, 3, 3, 3

B) Deadlift:
60kg x 5
100kg x 3
140kg x 2 - Belt from here on
180kg x 1
200kg x 1
220kg x 1 - PB*
- Think I took a risk going for 220kg's, as 200kg felt pretty difficult. 220kg was tough and I had to stick with it.

C) Dips:
BW x 5
20kg x 3
40kg x 2
60kg x 3 x f
- Was hoping for 72.5kg's today but during the 60kg my left shoulder didn't feel stable at all, I couldn't control the eccentric portion whatsoever. Although I really like dips, it's probably worth replacing them as my shoulders cant tolerate them as well as they used to.

Rugby this evening . . .

Back