Alright How About It? Holyfield-Haye At CW

Haye was pretty good at CW. He still gets steamrolled by Holyfield. Evander takes his punch, outworks him and pushes him around until he breaks him in the middle rounds.

As far as ATG rankings go, I'd put Holyfield, Wamba, Qawi, De Leon and Gomez above him. Maybe he deserves a little better for unifying the titles.

Gassiev could end up being something special, so I'll reserve judgement on him, but I think Haye's speed and power could give Usyk a lot of issues. I think Qawi at his best beats both Usyk and Haye.
ooo I think Haye beats Qawi tbh.

Interesting fight tho

I bet you wouldn't be this rude to Evander Holyfield's face, OP.

I bet you wouldn't be this rude to Evander Holyfield's face, OP.

Tell you what, if I ever find myself lucky enough to run into Holyfield I'll be sure to record a video of myself asking him how he would handle Haye in this hypothetical match up and post it on here just for you pumpkin <Wink><{1-12}>

Holyfield would cripple Haye.

Wouldn’t even be competitive.

2nd Gassiev possibly being special, but I'd favor Holyfield at or near his best over any CW today, and Haye would be easy work.

When I first saw this thread, I thought that the better question would be Haye vs Qawi. Glad to see a lot of posters mentioning him.

I would pick Qawi. He would outwork him, and I don't think Haye has the mental game to deal with that pressure at the highest levels of the game. He was a good CW, but it was an extremely weak division at the time. His best win there is Mormeck.

One thing I'd like to remind everybody is that Evander's chin wasn't quite the same at CW. I'd still favor him comfortably based off of achievement and just overall superior skills, but this wasn't the same Real Deal that was eating up Bowe's and Tyson's punches like an overweight 10 year old eats candy

Haye would do a lot better than people think, he learn his lesson badly against Thompson and while vulnerable, still hit harder than a lot of the heavies that Evander fought, and certainly harder than Bowe IMO

Close fight

Gassiev could end up being something special, so I'll reserve judgement on him, but I think Haye's speed and power could give Usyk a lot of issues. I think Qawi at his best beats both Usyk and Haye.

I really like Gassiev, one of my current favourites.

I hope he beats Usyk but that's a tough fight.

Haye would do a lot better than people think, he learn his lesson badly against Thompson and while vulnerable, still hit harder than a lot of the heavies that Evander fought, and certainly harder than Bowe IMO

Close fight

I don't think there is anything to suggest David Haye hits harder than Riddick Bowe. I'd be very confident in Bowe stopping Haye.

I don't think there is anything to suggest David Haye hits harder than Riddick Bowe. I'd be very confident in Bowe stopping Haye.

I would also agree that Bowe would stop Haye, that was not my point.

Haye at HW hits harder than Bowe IMO, he(Haye) has hit some hard fighters and really hurt them with his power, Bowe did wear some guys down with his size, but he is not known for his power, which was the only real thing Haye brought to the HW division.

i'd give haye a shot... hey, michael moorer beat holyfield, right? and moorer was a headcase moving up from lhw. qawi gave a young holyfield all he could handle...and qawi was a midget. holyfield was even losing the moorer rematch before he decided to gamble it all and found moorer just didn't have the stomach for a war...it's really not like holyfield was some kind of invulnerable fightin machine. holyfield's entire reputation is built on his wins over tyson....a vastly depleted mike tyson. in fact, since michael moorer beat holy, i'd pick michael spinks to beat holy too...spinks was a top 5 all time lhw...spinks beat larry holmes twice and ko'd cooney. spinks was favored by many experienced boxing writers to beat tyson over the distance. just look at spinks win over holmes and holyfield's win over a much older holmes...clearly spinks was the better fighter.

I would also agree that Bowe would stop Haye, that was not my point.

Haye at HW hits harder than Bowe IMO, he(Haye) has hit some hard fighters and really hurt them with his power, Bowe did wear some guys down with his size, but he is not known for his power, which was the only real thing Haye brought to the HW division.

I do see what you're saying and it's not necessarily ridiculous. Bowe wasn't a massive one shot guy, but he had heavy hands. You don't stop prime (prime-ish) Holyfield without a lot of power. Haye could punch, though. No one has cracked Chisora like he did. I'd say that that Haye might have had more in a single shot than Bowe did, but Bowe had the heavier hands (if you know what I mean).

With regards to Holyfield, though, you're not going to stop him with one shot. I simply can't see Haye stopping Holyfield and that would be his only shot in the matchup.

I thought you meant right now. I was going to think about it.

But now that I realize you mean in their prime, the answer is Holyfield easy.

Basically my answer. Though I think Evan Fields beats them both.

Dave doesnt have the gas tank or the chin to handle Evander.

Back