Almost had a heart attack today...

Koreans and Japanese smoke and train and they never gas.
I had an Iranian coach that would go out and smoke between rounds. The dude never gassed and was a beast but he had a stroke and died in his 40s.

Stress sucks. Adrenaline dumps suck. Having bad cardio blows.

I sort of know what you mean. I get tired rolling at my academy, sure, but my main issue is my forearm muscles completely lock up and become as hard as a rock. When that happens my training partners even notice how hard they are. Hurts like hell.

At my last competition I got excited because I thought I had a sub locked in pretty good. That excitment led to adrenaline rush and when the guy didnt tap and position changed I had absolutely nothing in the tank. Felt somewhat like you felt.

Im not an expert but what you descripe sure as hell sounds like a mix or adrenaline/stress and being somewhat out of shape for not working out for 4 months.

I really think you will get back to your old form in a few weeks if you roll regularly again.

Good luck

i actually almost had one once. went to hospital and my BP was 180/120 even tho i look like im in great shape and i eat healthy. im lucky i caught it because i didnt have many symptoms.

just a suggestion for older grapplers to check their BP and if they feel any chest, breathing, dizzyness type symptoms dont just chalk it up to training hard like i used to do. After class i was literally sitting in the locker room shaking, sweating like crazy and i couldnt really talk when people were asking me if im OK. Scary af.

Lol, the sherdog cycle is complete. Tuf guys, experienced guys, and newbs who think they expert now have all chipped in lol

So, I came back after 3 months or something... I did rolled once 3 weeks ago, did couple of 5 minutes round, had to rest for like 20 minutes flat on the ground, I felt drained to death. I went back today, rolled 2 rounds, and during the middle of the second, I had to stop after applying a RNC, I felt like literally was going to die. I was going to puke and had to be taken out fo the gym to catch some air. I was like WTF!!! this hasnt hapened to me in like 8 years or so... The fuck? I know I got older, but jesus christ i didnt aged 15 years in 3 months... Ive been under terrible stress and somking like a freak machine, did not jack shit during 4 months, so I guess that took a tool on me, but didnt expect it to be to this extent. My technique was good thouhg, didnt feel like I lost anything...

Have you ever been through something like this? I now am going to really stop smoking (its either that or I will have to stop doing bjj, or die...), and doing cardio training, I guess its time to realize it isnt 2011 anymore for me.

I think it has nothing or very little to do with smoking. I indeed don't smoke at all and that's the same feeling I have every time I come back from a long injury stop and I go relatively hard (I mean more power to you anyway if you decide to quit smoking, will only help you 360 degrees so do it!).

I remember this training session when I came back after almost two years of stop in the beginning of 2017, when there was this wrestler guy and I had the bad idea of roll with him after an already sustained round. He pushed me super hard for all the 6 minutes and after that I felt like dying.. had to sit in the locker room for a good ten minutes, with a strong headache and the stomach turned upside down..

Same thing two months ago.. I returned after luckily "only" two months of stop and after an heated sparring session I felt incredibly bad.. I just remember going out the gym and having to lean with my head in my arm for exhaustion.

Honestly, at least in my experience, I don't think you need any cardio if you are already sparring. Maybe this could be an idea if you'll have to sit out again for some reason that would still leave you able to run or whatever. But if you want that awful feel to go away, just spar with some attention and in some sessions I think your cardio will be there again, or at least you'll not gonna feel like you are dying.

Then, that said, doing some tests if you are concerned surely wouldn't hurt..

Hey thanks for your replay... didn’t feel any chest pain I’m 38, I was out of air mostly, funny enough I’m still throwing up today, just came back from the hospital got Iv hydration, i think my smoking days are over... will check some of the stuff you just told me. Thanks again
Still recommend the EKG man.

Just my opinion.

I had an Iranian coach that would go out and smoke between rounds. The dude never gassed and was a beast but he had a stroke and died in his 40s.
I've been thinking of Mohsen a lot lately. That guy was something else. That story of him and travis lutter, lol

So, I came back after 3 months or something... I did rolled once 3 weeks ago, did couple of 5 minutes round, had to rest for like 20 minutes flat on the ground, I felt drained to death. I went back today, rolled 2 rounds, and during the middle of the second, I had to stop after applying a RNC, I felt like literally was going to die. I was going to puke and had to be taken out fo the gym to catch some air. I was like WTF!!! this hasnt hapened to me in like 8 years or so... The fuck? I know I got older, but jesus christ i didnt aged 15 years in 3 months... Ive been under terrible stress and somking like a freak machine, did not jack shit during 4 months, so I guess that took a tool on me, but didnt expect it to be to this extent. My technique was good thouhg, didnt feel like I lost anything...

Have you ever been through something like this? I now am going to really stop smoking (its either that or I will have to stop doing bjj, or die...), and doing cardio training, I guess its time to realize it isnt 2011 anymore for me.

Yes I have, but it wasn't due to inactivity. Did you drink something inappropriate before hand? I tested replacing water with Coca-Cola and saw stars in a few minutes already in the warm-up, couldn't see properly. Was feeling REALLY out of it.

Yes I have, but it wasn't due to inactivity. Did you drink something inappropriate before hand? I tested replacing water with Coca-Cola and saw stars in a few minutes already in the warm-up, couldn't see properly. Was feeling REALLY out of it.

Haha. Solid test.

I am a resident physician.

What you are describing is either Prinzmetal's angina or stable angina.

Either way, you should definitely go to a physician to have an EKG done, as well as blood work. If you have a 30 pack-year smoking history, go ahead and ask for a low-dose CT of the chest to look for any lung cancer. Small cell lung cancer can make people feel very funny. Don't want to scare you, but just get the test done.

Also, if you are 65, get an ultrasound of your abdomen to look for aneurysms. And please stop smoking dude. Try bupropion for quitting. I've seen good things with it. It takes on average 7 times to quit. Just keep trying. Hope you feel better. Peace.

I'm a respiratory therapist and trained martial arts for 30 years.

I smoked for 15 years when I was in the Marine Corps and stopped when I got married. Trying to get back into martial arts a few years ago, I'm more of a striker but rolling is wonderful. Coming back after quitting smoking but not being in shape I had a majority of those symptoms. Basically I hard sparred and within on minute I was standing outside vomiting into bushes had shortness of breath and dyspnea on exertion.

I teach pulmonary rehabilitation for people with lung disease most don't know until late in life due to inactivity so best bet is get yourself checked out. Cardio health I noticed in patients even without lung disease but heart disease starts to fall after inactivity of as little as 2 weeks. 4 months coupled with a lot of smoking and stress is going to throw your body out of wack big time. Your lungs have been bombarded by chemicals and you heart is taking the brunt of that.

As the Dr says EKG and blood work first, if nothing is conclusive and still have problems other tests are pulmonary function tests, exercise treadmill tests, and VO2 max tests. But get checked and quit smoking took me 9 times to quit but worth it in the long run.

Koreans and Japanese smoke and train and they never gas.

This.Saku is the best example. Don't soccer players smoke too?

I knew a notorious former ufc corner guy who smoked. Bjj BB, said he didn't think it affected his cardio.

Maybe it matters more if you're out of shape.

This.Saku is the best example. Don't soccer players smoke too?

I knew a notorious former ufc corner guy who smoked. Bjj BB, said he didn't think it affected his cardio.

Maybe it matters more if you're out of shape.

I think depends on the person, and i also agree that if your out of shape is way worst, smoked only 1 cigarette since Sunday... don’t know if it’s a mental thing but i feel much better

I think a big part of it might actually be 'toxic shock'; where, if a body is unpracticed or out of practice, it's not used to handling big loads of metabolic waste all at once, so if your first time (back) doing something that gets the blood pumping is going maximal effort, it can feel like you've literally just been poisoned.

Hence the the classic case of someone green puking their guts out after a hard workout.

Last edited:
I have a very bad case of chronic asthma, which causes me to have bronchus swelling. So now and then I've had the fun if knowing how it feels to not be able to breathe and it's not fun, specially in the middle of training or competition.
Apparently I always had the condition. When I was a kid I would feel dizzy or tired when in high altitude or under extreme physical stress, but I erroneously thought that was how it was supposed to feel like. It just happened to be that I didn't notice it too much (or resisted it) by being in very good "cardio" condition.
After I stopped training for a period, I started to feel much worse much more often. That's when I got diagnosed. So essentially training helps me to stay healthy because of very good "lung conditioning". When I stop my cardio goes down in two weeks and I have a very rough time recovering it.
But as said before, it is very important to get checked out because it's better to know what the hell is going in with your body, specially if it has anytheto do with lungs or heart.

Just a quick. Note, went back to training today, I stopped smoking (well almost smoked a couple this weekend), went for runs all week, doing some type of training. That I found out to be the best for Bjj, sprints, walk, jog, sprint... to my surprise, I rolled quite hard for about 20 minutes, got tired but not out of breath, at all, just my muscles were tired. It’s quite intreating this sprinting thing... it doesn’t hurt my knees as bad as joggging for 5km would, or at least doesn’t feel like, and it seems to give me quite a bit of gas...hope it’s not placebo lol

Stress sucks. Adrenaline dumps suck. Having bad cardio blows.

I sort of know what you mean. I get tired rolling at my academy, sure, but my main issue is my forearm muscles completely lock up and become as hard as a rock. When that happens my training partners even notice how hard they are. Hurts like hell.

At my last competition I got excited because I thought I had a sub locked in pretty good. That excitment led to adrenaline rush and when the guy didnt tap and position changed I had absolutely nothing in the tank. Felt somewhat like you felt.

Im not an expert but what you descripe sure as hell sounds like a mix or adrenaline/stress and being somewhat out of shape for not working out for 4 months.

I really think you will get back to your old form in a few weeks if you roll regularly again.

Good luck
Practice isometics more where you push against objects that dont move and work on relaxing your body as you push/pull. Or work on your squeeze which is another form of iso contractions. Just squeeze a medicine ball with your legs and do rear naked chokes and guillotines on it. I gurantee you your arms will get used to squeezing wiht maximum force and teach you to control your breathing as you do so along with increasing the ability to hold the squeeze longer.

Back