All-time greatest white boxer?

Nope, I didn't say that. I just asked if you would elaborate on why Calzaghe doesn't belong on a list of the 50 greatest of the past 50 years.

We all know the answer to that: He didn't face anyone worth a damn until after they were all past it

Getting dropped by old man B-hop isn't anything to brag about either

We all know the answer to that: He didn't face anyone worth a damn until after they were all past it

Olivares and Castillo are still miles ahead even. How he is acting surprised by this I don't know

Like Kessler, Lacy, Bika, Eubank, Reid, etc. and old man Hopkins who still holds part of the light heavyweight title. Who cares if he got knocked down he still won the fight.

Ah well, time to move on.

I see your point I guess its a controversial topic I guess, What would you say your reasoning for the the 60-00 era of heavyweights being mainly black, would you put it entirely down to social economic situation of black males, as am guessing there's a lot of poor white kids out there who try there hand at boxing.

The whites that are doing well in heavyweight boxing today are mainly from ex-Soviet bloc countries - they would have been steered to various sports in the Soviet bloc (everything from weight lifting to volleyball to wrestling), since total medal count is what mattered to the USSR. And would never have fought professionally in any case.

American white's still don't do well in heavyweight boxing. For that matter, neither do they do well in basketball compared to European whites, even though basketball is far less popular Europe than America (ie way more American whites play basketball than Europeans). I don't know why that is (I'm not American), it just is what it is.

My guess is it comes down to the same reason that there haven't yet been very many science Nobel Prize winners among blacks - cultural and poverty. The same elements that lead to a lot of people from a group dominating in sport make it very difficult for many from that group to do well in the sciences ... sport tends to be something you do when you don't have a lot of other options, because its always a long shot that you will make a career out of it, and its bloody hard work. Listen to even supremely gifted athletes like Michael Jordan explain just how hard he had to work (including injuries, pain, discomfort etc) to become, well, Michael Jordan. Becoming a Nobel Prize winning physicist takes the same sort of dedication, but not the physical pain and exertion.

If you're thinking race genetics, I doubt its an issue for either heavyweight boxing or Nobel Prizes in physics.

Do white people ever really want to get too involved with things substantially influenced by black people?

Generally no.

By the time of hte 1950's Dempsey wasn't voted the greatest white fighter of all time by a landslide, he was voted greatest boxer of all time by a landslide.

Willie Pep, Harry Greb and Jack Dempsey, 3 best white boxers

Greatest white boxer of all time had to be little mac followed by soda popinski, bald bull and glass joe gets honorary mention

Does Duran count? Monzon is great too.

i think it's common to lump fighters from Latin America into their own category, even thought they could be white, bllack, East Asian or any other race. I certinaly wouldn't call Duran white, but I can see the argument for someone like Eder Jofre.

Bugner and Dunn obviously....

Greb, Zale, Leonard, La Motta, Pep can't be far behind those legends though..

I'd go with Greb on this one based on resume. Guy holds records no one will ever break.

Greb, followed by Pep, Ross, Leonard and Fitzsimmons.

this isn't an argument of being one of the greatest, but would you guys consider Gennady Golovkin white? Kind of off topic, but while everybody was talking about white boxers I might as well ask

Haha what?

what's so funny ?
in most countries , light mestizos and Castizos are considered white .for example 80 % of puerto ricans ( living in PR ) consider themselves white .

but like a previous poster said ,it's common to group all spanish speakers in one category under the meaningless , completely made up umbrella of hispanic/latino.

Back