All-time greatest white boxer?

Damn no love for Basilio in here? He beat Gavilan and Robinson for christ sakes.

Your name is the "GhettoWizard"and you don't put Benny as number 1?

That being said:
Benny Leonard
Willie Pep
Jack Dempsey

Harry Greb, then Benny Leonard, then Willie Pep.

Walker and Jimmy Wilde also deserves a mention. lmao @ Dempsey. No.

lmao @ Dempsey? Dempsey was a bad fighter but he at least has footage unlike Greb.

Anyways, the only answer to this is Willie Pep, who is one of the few pre-1950's boxers I'd favor in many of today's weight classes.

"Harry Greb is one of the best of all-time and I'll base that on fights I've never seen"

wat

I'm surprised Calzaghe hasn't been brought up. 46-0 and he was no joke.

Because he beat an old Jones and an old Hopkins? Yeah, he was good but I don't think he would in Britain's top 5.

Sometimes I want to post something, but likelihood its already been posted, you guys know your stuff. Pat yourselves on the back. Damn good forum.

Because he beat an old Jones and an old Hopkins? Yeah, he was good but I don't think he would in Britain's top 5.

Well I'll give ya Jones, but he also beat Eubank, Bika, Kessler, ruined Lacy and as for that "old Hopkins" comment Hopkins went on to dominate a still champ Pavlik and is still beating champs half his age today.

On top of that what other white fighter from Britain tops him? Jimmy Wilde? Anyone who actually witnessed him fight has been dead for over 30 years. When it comes to fighters from that era with no footage or radio broadcast to base things off of I get skeptical about their actual greatness, including Greb. I know it is sacrilegious to say, but as the old saying goes "When the legend becomes fact. Print the legend."

Who do ya think?

Contenders:

Jack Dempsey
Gene Tunney
Willie Pep
Benny Leonard
Rocky Marciano
Harry Greb
Jake LaMotta
Marcel Cerdan
Mickey Walker
Jimmy Wilde
Shame on all of us for forgetting the lethal trio of Barney Ross, Tony Canzoneri and Jimmy McClarnin. They literally deserve to be ranked in the top 25 fighters ever, black OR white.

Shame on all of us for forgetting the lethal trio of Barney Ross, Tony Canzoneri and Jimmy McClarnin. They literally deserve to be ranked in the top 25 fighters ever, black OR white.

I was looking at Bleachers all time greats list and those three were all lumped around the same spot, but I personally am not too familiar with them myself so I left them off.

Well I'll give ya Jones, but he also beat Eubank, Bika, Kessler, ruined Lacy and as for that "old Hopkins" comment Hopkins went on to dominate a still champ Pavlik and is still beating champs half his age today.

On top of that what other white fighter from Britain tops him? Jimmy Wilde? Anyone who actually witnessed him fight has been dead for over 30 years. When it comes to fighters from that era with no footage or radio broadcast to base things off of I get skeptical about their actual greatness, including Greb. I know it is sacrilegious to say, but as the old saying goes "When the legend becomes fact. Print the legend."

Freddie Welsh and Ted Kid Lewis is ahead of Calzaghe surely.

I was looking at Bleachers all time greats list and those three were all lumped around the same spot, but I personally am not too familiar with them myself so I left them off.
I'm surprised Bleacher Report thought to list them :icon_lol: Usually their stuff is quite bad.

I feel Ross was clearly the standout over the other 2 but that's what makes him such a great.

How about the best active white fighter? Klitschko's aside I might say Carl Froch. I like that guy.

Good call!

Tommy Loughran too. Hardly any KO's but that was because most of his career he was fighting with just his left. And as a small LH he was beating a lot of heavyweights.

I'm surprised Calzaghe hasn't been brought up. 46-0 and he was no joke.

Bingo, that is what came to my mind exactly, and was also shocked and appalled by no mention.

If nothing else, it is the most recent massive blow to the Afro American ego in in Boxing world including the Klitschko brothers running away with the HW division of Boxing.

Joe out slicking Roy Jones Jr. and Bhop

Pretty much worst ego hit since:
tumblr_lwgt0dtmND1qznj8ho1_500.jpg

Good call!

Tommy Loughran too. Hardly any KO's but that was because most of his career he was fighting with just his left. And as a small LH he was beating a lot of heavyweights.
I rate the white fighters that didn't draw the colour line very very highly. Like Leonard, Pep, Mike Gibbons, Ross, Canzoneri, McClarnin, Walker

Its why I have such a hard time holding Tunney too highly. :icon_twis

Back