All the best Lightweights are 5'9-5'11 and always have been

Legendary

Ꮥµpǝɹnøʌɐ
@Black
Reaction score
There is no debate, 155 is the deepest and most comprehensive weight class in the history of the sport. These fighters are big enough to get frequent knockouts and stoppages, and they are small enough to have good speed and cardio. This weight class truly represents the averaged sized man. Just take look at the current and former fighters of 155, its insane.

There a few exceptions but 5'9 seems to be dominant height of this weight class.
List of champs, contenders, or top 10 at some point otherwise

Kevin Lee 5'9
Khabib 5'9-5'10
Edson 5'11
Tony 5'11
Eddie 5'8-5'9
Gaethje 5'9
Poirier 5'9
Conor 5'9
Pettis 5'9
BJ 5'9
Henderson 5'9
RDA 5'8
Gilbert 5'8-5'9
Florian 5'10
Dariush 5'9
Huerta 5'9
Maynard 5'8
TJ Grant 5'10
Genki Sudo 5'9
Josh Thomson 5'9
Bobby Green 5'9
Khabilov 5'9

Last edited:
Well 5’9” has been the size of the average American male as long as I can remember. So it’s not overly surprising.

I saw guys fighting at 145 with near 80" reaches who were blazing fast and had power and strength and durability.

If MMA keeps evolving, the 6'+ guys are going to take over 155 (and 145) eventually.

You used to get 5'5" guys at the top of LW. No more.

Then there's James Vick who's like FUCK that shit I'm 6'3" bitches come at me.

Nate Diaz would curb stomp everyone on that list.

I saw guys fighting at 145 with near 80" reaches who were blazing fast and had power and strength and durability.

If MMA keeps evolving, the 6'+ guys are going to take over 155 (and 145) eventually.

You used to get 5'5" guys at the top of LW. No more.

MMA evolving is mostly a myth

But Nate is 3 times all their size and the undisputed LW GOAT

Eddie Alvarez, Frankie Edgar, RDA, & Gilbert Melendez are shorter than 5'9, but yeah in general LWs are 5'9+

Nate Diaz will curb stomp everyone on that list.

josh-thomson-nate-diaz-finish1.gif

Benson+Henderson+Drops+Nate+Diaz+-+UFC+on+Fox+5.gif

tumblr_ngl37gvLww1u2ragso1_r1_500.gif

Yeah obviously guys like Edgar, Sherk, Gomi and Pulver were not all time greats and are terrible

MMA evolving is mostly a myth
When was the last time you saw a fight finished in mount? Armbars and kimuras at an elite level? Guys on the bottom trying to get away from the cage? Seen the footwork evolution recently? Shit's evolving constantly.

Yeah obviously guys like Edgar, Sherk, Gomi and Pulver were not all time greats and are terrible

They are great, but they are nothing compared to the lightweights of the past 5 years. Pulver fought at 135, Gomi should have always been at 145, Sherk was only so big because of roids, and Frankie can make 135.

The lightweights of recent weigh 170-180 pounds.

You need to subtract 2 inches from all your measurements. People are often adding 2 inches to favorable measurements. If a fighter is listed at 5'9", he is probably 5'7".

They are great, but they are nothing compared to the lightweights of the past 5 years. Pulver fought at 135, Gomi should have always been at 145, Sherk was only so big because of roids, and Frankie can make 135.

Yeah but your title literally says "All the Best Lightweights are 5'9-5'11 and ALWAYS HAVE BEEN".

It's not necessarily the case, there's been plenty of shorter and taller LW's who have been at or near the top. But yeah I guess that's the median height for the weight class.

You are all over the place. What is your actual point then? When these guys were in there prime they were the best but your title seems to go directly against that

Yeah but your title literally says "All the Best Lightweights are 5'9-5'11 and ALWAYS HAVE BEEN".

It's not necessarily the case, there's been plenty of shorter and taller LW's who have been at or near the top. But yeah I guess that's the median height for the weight class.
Beat me to it. I am glad im not the only one who doesnt get his point

Back