All McGregor had to do was be a tiny bit competitive to get an immidiete rematch

• Thread starter Deleted member 546119
  • Start date
Ref was clearly in the pocket for Khabib. Homeboy should have been stood up numerous times in the 1st. Conor was just paying him back.

Conor edged round 3 but I get your point, tough sell, I guess the haters will pay to watch him get smashed again

He is brave tho. He could have taken a gimme fight but he decided to fight his biggest threat and did amazing.
That's what a "champion" is supposed to do. Except champions don't wait out 2 years and get stripped. They defend their belt before that.

Conor did amazing? lol

giphy.gif

Oh wait, he was trying to gas Khabib out using his face, right?

Delusional nuthuggers.

Khabib didn't do anything the first round. He did catch Conor the second, but then spent most of the fight trying to force a finish that Conor defended well. The third round Conor won. And the fourth round obviously Khabib caught him with a takedown and then caught him giving his back. Of course Khabib put a lot of pressure and that eventually wore Conor out to get to that point.

It was definitely not domination though like people would have you believe.

troll

Now it's the haters starting the needlessly repetitive and unnecessary Conor threads.

There just is no escape...

Gap in athleticism is too big. Khabib was raised to be an athlete in the mountains of Dagestan since day 1, Conor doesn't have that kind of discipline

And the bum couldn't even do that.

Conor just to put a little doubt in fans' minds - he just needed to hurt Khabib a little bit, to keep the glimmer of hope alive that he could win a rematch

Conor couldn't even do that, he got humiliated and demolished in every aspect of the game. There's not even one good punch he landed in the entire fight, his best strike was an illegal knee he landed on the ground.

L O L.

Khabib Bless.
Sorry, but that's BS.

Cain did to Junior what Khabib did to Conor.
But Conor could beat Khabib much like Cain lost to Junior , and the same way he beat Aldo or Eddie. Catch them early.

The fact that in that fight Khabib was able to take him down before the punch does not mean he will be able to do it every time.

we witnessed a bear mauling. for a minute there, I thought I was watching the discovery channel

It was a one sided dominant beating, only unreasonable Conor nuthuggers will deny that. But Khabib has dominated everyone he's fought, and truth be told Conor took less of a beating(damagewise) than many of Khabib's previous opponents. Getting dominated by Khabib doesn't mean that Conor is a bum or not a world class fighter. It means Khabib is just that damn good

And the bum couldn't even do that.

Conor just to put a little doubt in fans' minds - he just needed to hurt Khabib a little bit, to keep the glimmer of hope alive that he could win a rematch

Conor couldn't even do that, he got humiliated and demolished in every aspect of the game. There's not even one good punch he landed in the entire fight, his best strike was an illegal knee he landed on the ground.

L O L.

Khabib Bless.
He won one of 4 rounds, I might be crazy but I’d say that means it was a little competitive. The excuse that Khabib took the round off is ridiculous, it’s ok that he lost a round in a fight he otherwise dominated

He won one of 4 rounds, I might be crazy but I’d say that means it was a little competitive. The excuse that Khabib took the round off is ridiculous, it’s ok that he lost a round in a fight he otherwise dominated

Crazy

I saw this fight as a shellacking, Sir.

This false narrative (in my opinion) that it was competitive (argued by Chael Sonnen) is absurd. Khabib took a rest in round 3. Some say Conor won the 3rd, but he never once hurt Khabib, or had him in danger.

Let's take a quick look.

(1) Complete grappling mastery. Khabib took Conor down, established top control, completely immobilized him and sapped his energy and his will. Conor held him off as much/long as he could, but he was simply overwhelmed by a superior relentless cardio grappler (10-9 Khabib).

(2) Kabib rocked Conor in the stand up and dropped him, subsequently airmail slammed him, delivered vicious ground and pound and had a submission attempt (kimura). Conor mounted zero offence and spent significant periods turtled, getting whaled on (10-8 Khabib).

(3) Striking exchanges. Both landing decent shots. Neither fighter rocked or hurt. By the end of the round, Conor knew he had nothing left for Khabib: "It's only business" (10-9 Conor).

(4) Khabib takes Conor down, advances position, secures a submission and taps him out to a neck crank (I actually don't criticize Conor for tapping to this - Khabib would have either broken his jaw or given him a compression or burst fracture in his cervical spine - It was undoubtedly enormously painful) (Finish by submission, Khabib).

So because Conor managed to barely edge out a single round, while getting either positionally dominated (1), completely smashed (2), or positionally dominated and finished (4), in the other three rounds of competition, all while cheating (gloves, shorts and fence grabbing, 12-6 elbows <if I recall correctly> and a kneeing an opponent in the head, while on the ground), Conor somehow had success in your eyes?

Did I miss something? I honestly don't understand this.

This fight, as a whole, was not competitive.

I see no need whatsoever for a rematch. Khabib beat Conor in every aspect of MMA.

Well said. Also lets not forget all the blatant fouls Connor committed during the fight that he didn't inexplicably lose points for or at least stern warnings

Only McGregor gets away with that shit during a fight.

I'm a little surprised by most of the takes to the fight. I thought Khabib actually looked really bad here, even in a convincing win.

I felt this is essentially how the fight went:-

Khabib took Conor down quickly. This showed what some theorised; Khabib's wrestling would be took much for Conor. I think Khabib really wore down Conor with his pressure here, although never used a fraction of his by now renowned ground and pound. In the next, Conor showed some pretty solid takedown defence compared to most Khabib fights, but he was now in the realm of Sonnen Vs Anderson, where Sonnen managed to outstrike Silva, and got dropped hard.

In the third, both men were very tired. Conor was tired after the first but the relentlessness of Khabib's style even wore him down, I feel more so than Conor. He wanted the takedown but it was easily brushed off each time, with Conor managing to land his stabbing teep kick that was the undoing of Mendes. Conor had a huge chance here, as Khabib was slow and proving to be struggling with his takedown attempts.

The fourth came however, and Conor couldn't keep himself upright. Khabib finished the fight like a champ. I feel he was in a spot where he had to dig for this. If he wasn't as intelligent with that takedown, he could have seen it brushed off again and faced a similar fourth round, facing a tough last sprint in the fifth.

Khabib dominating almost all of the fight, but his cardio was a little questionable and really with the amount of time Conor afforded him on top a more on his game Khabib would have wrapped that fight up by the second. He never really got his GnP going. I think he was really off in this fight, and if he was 100% on his game (or let's imagine a rematch at WW) I think he keeps his cardio together and is much more devastating from the top.

I'm a little surprised by most of the takes to the fight. I thought Khabib actually looked really bad here, even in a convincing win.

I felt this is essentially how the fight went:-

Khabib took Conor down quickly. This showed what some theorised; Khabib's wrestling would be took much for Conor. I think Khabib really wore down Conor with his pressure here, although never used a fraction of his by now renowned ground and pound. In the next, Conor showed some pretty solid takedown defence compared to most Khabib fights, but he was now in the realm of Sonnen Vs Anderson, where Sonnen managed to outstrike Silva, and got dropped hard.

In the third, both men were very tired. Conor was tired after the first but the relentlessness of Khabib's style even wore him down, I feel more so than Conor. He wanted the takedown but it was easily brushed off each time, with Conor managing to land his stabbing teep kick that was the undoing of Mendes. Conor had a huge chance here, as Khabib was slow and proving to be struggling with his takedown attempts.

The fourth came however, and Conor couldn't keep himself upright. Khabib finished the fight like a champ. I feel he was in a spot where he had to dig for this. If he wasn't as intelligent with that takedown, he could have seen it brushed off again and faced a similar fourth round, facing a tough last sprint in the fifth.

Khabib dominating almost all of the fight, but his cardio was a little questionable and really with the amount of time Conor afforded him on top a more on his game Khabib would have wrapped that fight up by the second. He never really got his GnP going. I think he was really off in this fight, and if he was 100% on his game (or let's imagine a rematch at WW) I think he keeps his cardio together and is much more devastating from the top.
I can kinda agree what ur talking about but ur greatly exaggerating on how 'bad' khabib looked, and not giving any attention on the fact that conor cheated for like half the fucking fight, which made khabib have to use a lot more energy.
i think the weight cut definitely took a toll on his cardio, he was apparently having spasms/seizures days leading up to the fight.

I can kinda agree what ur talking about but ur greatly exaggerating on how 'bad' khabib looked, and not giving any attention on the fact that conor cheated for like half the fucking fight, which made khabib have to use a lot more energy.
i think the weight cut definitely took a toll on his cardio, he was apparently having spasms/seizures days leading up to the fight.

I just think if we said that Khabib would take Conor down for almost two entire rounds before the fight, there was NO way Conor takes the third round (short of rocking him) and there would be MUCH more damage on him. While Conor's ground game is meant to nullify anything you're doing, and he's good at it, I don't think he's better than people Khabib has taken the soul of with his GnP. I think an on-point Khabib would have made that a much, much more punishing performance, and Conor is pretty lucky.

That being said, we saw a few areas to exploit from Khabib. Conor proved that the longer the fight goes, Khabib's takedowns got substantially worse. He defended next to nothing when tired (and maybe most notably was either too slow or too uninterested in looking for a takedown off of the teep to the body). His expert tangling of the legs was a huge, huge factor to his ground game, and when you can isolate one area like that so specifically it's much easier to train for. I'd absolutely not bet on it, and feel Khabib is capable of so much more than he showed, but I wouldn't count Conor winning out by any stretch.

Back