Alien vs. Aliens

Which is the better movie?

• Alien

• Aliens

Results are only viewable after voting.
I love both but if im forced to pick, Aliens wins by a very slim margin.

Aliens lugs in parts and it is not at all scary. They show too much of the alien and make it way too killable. It has fun moments with the space marine banter but it is a better memory than a movie. I am not saying that it is a bad movie but it isn't Cameron's best. I would put T1, T2, True Lies, and Abyss ahead of it.

I would say after the Terminators personally and slightly ahead of the Abyss, really its a very similar film to the former two being more of a mix of action and horror rather than soley the latter.

Beyond the atmosphere I think an underrated aspect of the original is the quality of the acting, you have possible the best cast ever for a horror film(Maybe ANgel Heart or the Thing might have a case?) there which Scott puts to good use making the film feel very naturalistic which sells the sense of fear/desperation far more effectively.

Bill Paxton in Aliens really was first rate though, not just as a loudmouth but showing that loudmouth breaking down when his overconfidence is shattered.

Last edited:
Both good. Why choose?

Although the nod goes to Aliens, because of that huge plot hole in Alien. How did it grow 1,000 its birth weight in 2 days again?

There.

Still better than the AvP and Covenant movies where it took less than 2 hours.

Aliens is a shoot em up (which is fine) but Alien was a better film altogether

Okay I finally finished Aliens. After watching both in succession I've decided that I like Alien by the slimmest of margins. Aliens was fantastic, had some really cool moments, fun characters, and a bad ass Ripley from beginning to end. But, I prefer the atmosphere created in Alien. It was shot beautifully, the creepiness of the Alien lurking around the ship while the crew struggled to find it, all while we were getting clues that it was growing rapidly. There was so much more going on in Aliens though, I can't imagine the difference in budgets between the 2 movies. But that just shows that sometimes less can be more.

Bill Paxton was a legend and he was gold in Aliens. Him flipping his shit every 5 minutes after being so cocky to begin with was hilarious. Can't believe it's been over a year since he passed. I think a discussion about Aliens and T2 would be fantastic, if that doesn't already exist here.

I've seen both films countless times.

Aliens - My favorite movie of all time. It's the perfect combination of SciFi, Horror, Action, and Suspense, adding to great 1-Dimentional characters played by very likable actors, saying lines that are still quoteable to this day. Aliens is the #1 most quotable movie of all time.

Alien - I could gush about this movie with endless praise, just like I did with Alien, but let me skip to the ONE factor that clearly makes it inferior to Aliens.

After the chestburster scene, it becomes a slasher flick.

Yes, I'm serious. From then on, the villian takes out the cast, one by one, until the main character defeats the villian and ultimatley is the lone survivor.

That's the plot of a damn slasher flick. Sorry to break it to you guys.

But, it's still a 9/10 film & a classic. But it ain't a GOAT contender as Aliens should be.

Okay I finally finished Aliens. After watching both in succession I've decided that I like Alien by the slimmest of margins. Aliens was fantastic, had some really cool moments, fun characters, and a bad ass Ripley from beginning to end. But, I prefer the atmosphere created in Alien. It was shot beautifully, the creepiness of the Alien lurking around the ship while the crew struggled to find it, all while we were getting clues that it was growing rapidly. There was so much more going on in Aliens though, I can't imagine the difference in budgets between the 2 movies. But that just shows that sometimes less can be more.

Bill Paxton was a legend and he was gold in Aliens. Him flipping his shit every 5 minutes after being so cocky to begin with was hilarious. Can't believe it's been over a year since he passed. I think a discussion about Aliens and T2 would be fantastic, if that doesn't already exist here.

Did you watch the Extended Edition of Aliens?

Nah theatrical

Extended is better.

The added scenes really add alot to the overall film.

For example, one scene reveals that Ripley's daughter died while Ripley was in stasis for 50+ years, and her daughter died of old age, never knowing what happened to her mother.

Knowing Ripley had a daughter who died adds SO much to the rest of the movie, with her attatchment to Newt.

I've seen both films countless times.

Aliens - My favorite movie of all time. It's the perfect combination of SciFi, Horror, Action, and Suspense, adding to great 1-Dimentional characters played by very likable actors, saying lines that are still quoteable to this day. Aliens is the #1 most quotable movie of all time.

Alien - I could gush about this movie with endless praise, just like I did with Alien, but let me skip to the ONE factor that clearly makes it inferior to Aliens.

After the chestburster scene, it becomes a slasher flick.

Yes, I'm serious. From then on, the villian takes out the cast, one by one, until the main character defeats the villian and ultimatley is the lone survivor.

That's the plot of a damn slasher flick. Sorry to break it to you guys.

But, it's still a 9/10 film & a classic. But it ain't a GOAT contender as Aliens should be.

OH, one thing I forgot to mention.

Aliens is so quotable, I was rewatching Star Wars Episode 8 the other day, and I mentioned it in another Episode 8 thread here in Mayberry that 'the rebellion (good guys)' were getting their asses destroyed the entire movie, no allies come to their aid at the end, and everybody that is left can fit on the Millenium Falcon...

...yet, Leia is optomistic, and says they have everything they need.

I wish Hudson from 'Aliens' was there to say "I don't know if you've been keeping up with current events, but we just got our asses kicked pal!"

Extended is better.

For example, one scene reveals that Ripley's daughter died while Ripley was in stasis for 50+ years, and her daughter died of old age, never knowing what happened to her mother.

Knowing Ripley had a daughter who died adds SO much to the rest of the movie, with her attatchment to Newt.

Hmm. I saw that scene in the one I watched. She asks Burke about her daughter and he says we should focus on the hearing, she asks again and he explains that she died 2 years prior and then shows her a picture.

I rented it from Vudu and it said it was the theatrical version, but that scene on YouTube says it's from the DIrector's Cut.

Hmm. I saw that scene in the one I watched. She asks Burke about her daughter and he says we should focus on the hearing, she asks again and he explains that she died 2 years prior and then shows her a picture.

I rented it from Vudu and it said it was the theatrical version, but that scene on YouTube says it's from the DIrector's Cut.

How about this scene?

How about this scene?

Nope, that wasn't in there. That's an interesting scene though. I'm not sure how that would've affected the way I looked at Newt. Actually somewhat seeing what happened to her family, or having it left to my imagination. I kind of like both.

James Cameron didn't actually have that big a budget. Under $20M.

Wow. That's impressive then.

He used a lot of clever workarounds to make it come together.

Extended is better.

With the possible exception of the sentry guns, I think the right decision was made with all the scenes that ended up on the cutting room floor.

Back