ALIEN: COVENANT Thread v.2 (Dragonlord's Review, post #1)

If you have seen ALIEN: COVENANT, how would you rate it?

• Total voters
The actual alien scenes were pretty awesome. Couple cool kills. The scenery was amazing and I was really impressed but the actual story was kinda crap.

Also i agree to your point regarding the build up to the end.

I agree, but I think the alien scenes would have been amazing if practical effects had been incorporated into the film. Any film that uses cgi for a creature completely ages terribly. He'll I thought the aliens looked terrible in some scenes

This proves what I thought.. Instead of admitting THEY fked up Prometheus, they blamed the audience and went with the "they are simpletons who wanted the monster" excuse for why the film wasnt well received. They lied to themselves to make themselves feel better. They are dead wrong. It was the potential depth and themes that were not fully (or correctly) explored that EVERYBODY was bitching about. People are nerds now, we've all seen a lot of movies; It wasnt that it was missing monsters lol.

Scott was either delusional himself or had yes-men boosting his ego about why Prometheus wasn't better received.

Damn.

Yup. He is doubling down on dumb scary/horror and tossing the cool interesting stuff.

I agree, but I think the alien scenes would have been amazing if practical effects had been incorporated into the film. Any film that uses cgi for a creature completely ages terribly. He'll I thought the aliens looked terrible in some scenes
You're right. I suppose there were a few moments i thought "a guy in a suit would look much better". The scene at night where the first aliens attacked, didn't look great. However the shower scene looked damn good where it was against the window

Good catch. Either they goofed or
David didn't really create the Xenomorphs.

In my opinion...
...the murals were abstract enough that they could depict any iteration of the creatures.

The Black Liquid was designed to result in a creature that looks more or less like the classic Xenomorph.

Another explanation could be that David is inadvertently trying to recreate another creation of the Engineers. We know from his misattributing Ozymandias to Byron that not everything is right in his head.

where did the eggs come from?

David has had the Engineer's labs for himself for years. It all might look deserted, but that was all an act.

The lights in David's quarters all worked perfectly, implying that the city has power. If it does so should the labs in the main temple.

The Black Liquid kills people and animals. The structures and the technology is untouched.

I hope that's the case.
Perhaps the "original" xenos exist somewhere and this is David's variation or something. After all, the chest burster was different from the first Alien.
In my opinion...
...the murals were abstract enough that they could depict any iteration of the creatures.

The Black Liquid was designed to result in a creature that looks more or less like the classic Xenomorph.

Another explanation could be that David is inadvertently trying to recreate another creation of the Engineers. We know from his misattributing Ozymandias to Byron that not everything is right in his head.

Yes, that is what I meant as well when I said
David did not create the Xenomorphs. I should have made it clearer. What I meant was David is probably not the first creator of the Xenomorphs.

They will.
Now David has 2,000 guinea pigs.
I know they will but what I and probably Ass-Hat meant was that we were expecting them to be a big factor in the Alien: Covenant movie or story.

Goddamnit, Ridley. <codychoke>

I'll probably still watch it, but at this point I'm ready for Neil Blomkamp's Alien 5.

I don't know if anyone has touched on this yet, but the whole Alien vs Predator story has gone to shit after this movie..

In the AvP movie, the predators had been using the Aliens for ritual hunting for 1000's of years.

But David only created them recently.

I haven't seen Covenant yet, and only read Dragonlord's final score and saw Chris Stuckmann's review, but I have ONE question that I hope to be answered by someone that has seen the movie, before I see it.

Please reply in Spoiler tags...

Is there a Queen?

alienqueen13.jpg

I haven't seen Covenant yet, and only read Dragonlord's final score and saw Chris Stuckmann's review, but I have ONE question that I hope to be answered by someone that has seen the movie, before I see it.

Please reply in Spoiler tags...

Is there a Queen?

alienqueen13.jpg
Nope
I've read or heard somewhere Scott didn't like the idea of the Queen. At least the originally planned life cycle of the xenomorph in the first movie didn't involve a queen.
I personally don't like the idea of a queen and a hive because it basically turns them into bugs. Which IMO goes against what makes the xenomorph scary

Nope
I've read or heard somewhere Scott didn't like the idea of the Queen. At least the originally planned life cycle of the xenomorph in the first movie didn't involve a queen.
I personally don't like the idea of a queen and a hive because it basically turns them into bugs. Which IMO goes against what makes the xenomorph scary

Xenomorphs being in a hive with a queen makes them terrifying.

It's not just a lone xenomorph sticking to the shadows taking out humans, with numbers they can go on the offensive against an armed and trained group of humans.

And with a queen, they can lay as many eggs as they need to accomidate whatever humans they abduct to be used as hosts for new xenomorphs.

The lone Xenomorph VS unarmed stupid humans - been done multiple times now.

A nest of Xenomorphs with a Queen VS a group of trained and armed humans - only done once, 31 years ago, and hasn't really been done well since.

Seen this 3 times now. Score still remains a 7/10.

To those who haven't seen it yet... Lower your expectations.

Nostalgia buffs destroyed this movie.

Xenomorphs being in a hive with a queen makes them terrifying.

It's not just a lone xenomorph sticking to the shadows taking out humans, with numbers they can go on the offensive against an armed and trained group of humans.

And with a queen, they can lay as many eggs as they need to accomidate whatever humans they abduct to be used as hosts for new xenomorphs.

The lone Xenomorph VS unarmed stupid humans - been done multiple times now.

A nest of Xenomorphs with a Queen VS a group of trained and armed humans - only done once, 31 years ago, and hasn't really been done well since.

I've already made a post about this so I won't go into detail about why I loved the idea of the xenomorph in the first movie, but Aliens I think changed that a lot, which is why I don't like it as much. The Queen is a big part of it. The original idea of the xenomorph is that it can transform people into eggs which was cut out from the movie. I think that is scarier because that means one xenomorph can propagate its species wherever it goes.

I think that is scarier because that means one xenomorph can propagate its species wherever it goes.

I prefer the expanded universe (comics/books) explanation that a Xenomorph can morph into a queen.

Circumstances would be if there's one lone Xenomorph, and expansion of the nest requires for it to turn into a queen to lay eggs.

Or if there's already a nest of Xenomorphs and the queen dies for whatever reason, any Xenomorph can morph into a queen to continue the hive.

But there can only be one queen.

Prometheus was pretty piss poor and from the general consensus this doesn't sound much better. It's clear now that Ridley Scott is too old for this shit. The man's losing it, he's losing his cool.

Prometheus was pretty piss poor and from the general consensus this doesn't sound much better. It's clear now that Ridley Scott is too old for this shit. The man's losing it, he's losing his cool.
Visually, there's no one better. The story and the characters for the most part are expendable pawns that give you no reason to care about them. Fassbender is the saving grace.

The only other quality character besides David was wasted without much explanation, so we really got a sequel that was really another reboot from the characters department... Hell Shaw was meant to be Ripley 2.0, and it's no surprise that Daniels looks exactly the same... Incompetence

The thirty something minutes that film thinks its "keeping us in suspense" with what sort of alien life is going to be on the planet (hint - the xenomorphs) - could have gone to fleshing out the relationship between Walter and David and giving us more interactions between them.

Everything between the two of them in that movie is gold - and then there's the rest of the movie that doesn't work because every important thing in the movie is linked to Walter and David - who don't get enough screentime together.

Last edited:
Back