ALIEN: COVENANT Thread v.2 (Dragonlord's Review, post #1)

If you have seen ALIEN: COVENANT, how would you rate it?

• Total voters
1JAJve0.png

giphy.gif

He elevated it from a beautiful disaster to an aggressively mediocre donk fest. Dude has talent for days.
Probably my favorite actor working today. He's truly a phenomenal talent, and very charismatic

If the movie would have had an extended version of the prologue, and some kind of engineer interaction and story depth, it could have easily been a 7.5-8 for me. I didn't think it was terrible, and still rounded up to a 7.

people are still talking about this shitty movie on here? weird

He's the modern master of villains. He can do it all...villains that you detest entirely (12 Years a Slave), villains that you identify with and almost cheer for (Magneto), villains that you aren't cheering for but can't stop watching because of intrigue (David). That's a great range in just three movies.

I know hes undercover but he played the nazi in inglorious bastards. His range is awesome

Did Walter side with David? It seemed like it was still Walter's body at the end but had David's personality.

It was David at the end, not Walter.

Not to doubt you but was there any signs that it was David at the end? It looked like David got fucked up at the end of the fight and the characters would've been able to tell it wasn't Walter. Ridley doesn't care about the details anymore.

Because of this movie I went out and bought the series of 4 at target for $10. I just watched Aliens 3 last night and despite a few confusing points I actually liked it. Then I remembered how bad the cgi alien was

Not to doubt you but was there any signs that it was David at the end? It looked like David got fucked up at the end of the fight and the characters would've been able to tell it wasn't Walter. Ridley doesn't care about the details anymore.

There was a scene on the planet where David was chopping up his Bowie hair to make himself look like Walter. And then there's the scene where David has to stitch up a cut on his face even though Walter is able to self-heal.

There was a scene on the planet where David was chopping up his Bowie hair to make himself look like Walter. And then there's the scene where David has to stitch up a cut on his face even though Walter is able to self-heal.

Thanks! Will have to watch it again. I enjoyed it. There's far worse movies than this like Suicide Squad.

havent seen covenant yet, but I presume they dont address this in the movie at all ?

If you make a list of things that you would like to be addressed in Covenant, you will also be making a list of things that are not addressed in Covenant.

Katherine Waterston plays Daniels and although she is probably the "best" character among these losers, she's not written very well nor does she have any notable moments.

It's amazing how unattractive they made her considering hot insanely hot she was in Inherent Vice. She wasn't even a tiny bit convincing in her action sequences, and oh yeah,
they're all dead. There's no way that ship makes it out of atmosphere after that fight sequence. The cockpit alone was shattered.

Michael Fassbender did a superb job with his dual role of David and Walter.

He was 100% of what I enjoyed about this film. Every interaction was excellent, including and especially

every scene where he interacts with himself. Those dialogues were fantastic.

Minor complaint: The twist at the end was telegraphed despite all the nonsense they inserted to fake us out. There was NO way they weren't going to use that twist as there is always a last gasp event in these films.

They should have gone another way. Instead of David triumphing, Walter should have turned.

Also, there's no way David could have convinced Mother he was Walter. None. These machines may look the same but there's no way a super computer would be faked out, there would absolutely have to be a coded electronic handshake. Our security now is far better than that, in centuries it would be ridiculous, especially considering the stakes.

So... They had to have a security code for David. Why would that be there?

Most were expecting Danny McBride to stink up the place but he turned out to be one of the very few reasonably decent characters.

He may have looked good in a bad cast, but I didn't like him at all. He was completely one-note. Also, all the things I was afraid of rang true, he has such a limited range and I've seen him in so many things, I see him as all of his characters. If I saw this in a vacuum, without an encyclopedic knowledge of everything he's done, he wouldn't really have been that bad (so you're right) but he really stuck out to me.

Billy Crudup's Oram joins the ranks of Fifeld and Millburn as the dumbest people in the Alien series.

That was a huge problem for me, the inexcusable stupidity of the characters, in this and Prometheus. If I visit a jungle in South America, I'll probably get sick. My body hasn't adapted to any of the local wildlife, microbes in the air and water, nothing. I can't imagine how fast another world would kill me. Even if it was almost exactly earth the human body is designed to function in an incredibly specific atmospheric blend, and they never even talk about that. Characters in this universe have no respect for other environments. Ever. And it always gets them.

If they had worn sealed suits on this alien world, they would have been safe. Also, how many of the films have the characters talking about and COMPLETELY IGNORING quarantine protocols? And they sent down THEIR ONLY SHUTTLE? And then they fly the main ship right to the edge of disaster despite the fact it gave them zero tactical advantage because REASONS despite the support crew refusing to do it seconds before because SANITY? Yeah, morons, the lot of them.

It's amazing how unattractive they made her considering hot insanely hot she was in Inherent Vice. She wasn't even a tiny bit convincing in her action sequences, and oh yeah,
they're all dead. There's no way that ship makes it out of atmosphere after that fight sequence. The cockpit alone was shattered.

He was 100% of what I enjoyed about this film. Every interaction was excellent, including and especially

every scene where he interacts with himself. Those dialogues were fantastic.

Minor complaint: The twist at the end was telegraphed despite all the nonsense they inserted to fake us out. There was NO way they weren't going to use that twist as there is always a last gasp event in these films.

They should have gone another way. Instead of David triumphing, Walter should have turned.

Also, there's no way David could have convinced Mother he was Walter. None. These machines may look the same but there's no way a super computer would be faked out, there would absolutely have to be a coded electronic handshake. Our security now is far better than that, in centuries it would be ridiculous, especially considering the stakes.

So... They had to have a security code for David. Why would that be there?

He may have looked good in a bad cast, but I didn't like him at all. He was completely one-note. Also, all the things I was afraid of rang true, he has such a limited range and I've seen him in so many things, I see him as all of his characters. If I saw this in a vacuum, without an encyclopedic knowledge of everything he's done, he wouldn't really have been that bad (so you're right) but he really stuck out to me.

That was a huge problem for me, the inexcusable stupidity of the characters, in this and Prometheus. If I visit a jungle in South America, I'll probably get sick. My body hasn't adapted to any of the local wildlife, microbes in the air and water, nothing. I can't imagine how fast another world would kill me. Even if it was almost exactly earth the human body is designed to function in an incredibly specific atmospheric blend, and they never even talk about that. Characters in this universe have no respect for other environments. Ever. And it always gets them.

If they had worn sealed suits on this alien world, they would have been safe. Also, how many of the films have the characters talking about and COMPLETELY IGNORING quarantine protocols? And they sent down THEIR ONLY SHUTTLE? And then they fly the main ship right to the edge of disaster despite the fact it gave them zero tactical advantage because REASONS despite the support crew refusing to do it seconds before because SANITY? Yeah, morons, the lot of them.
Looks like we agree on most of everything about the movie.

Also, @Anung Un Rama made a very sharp observation that it was impractical to have the medic lab or quarantine room located all the way at the back of the drop ship.

Looks like we agree on most of everything about the movie.

Also, @Anung Un Rama made a very sharp observation that it was impractical to have the medic lab or quarantine room located all the way at the back of the drop ship.

That Anung's a sharp cookie.

Edit... Hey, isn't med tech his occupation?

Back