ALIEN: COVENANT Thread v.2 (Dragonlord's Review, post #1)

If you have seen ALIEN: COVENANT, how would you rate it?

• Total voters
Last thing, everything potentially cool about Space Jockey's is ruined.

Haven't seen it yet but reading your comment, I am now let-down. I was looking forward to more Engineers and Origin history, not a regurgitation of all the past Alien movies (just action with the Zenos killing everyone).

I honestly thought it was pretty obvious that this was just going to be a remake of the earlier films.

Never seen the alien movies from the 80s but I did see Prometheus. Seeing this tonight! Hopefully it won't be too bad since I haven't seen the old ones.

I liked it. The 3rd act was kind of a mess and incredibly rushed. It could have used more run time. They lost me with the android Paul Greengrass style fight scene. It was ridiculously out of place in an "Alien" film. The shower scene was also ridiculously out of place. Overall, it was quite enjoyable, but very forgettable.
The scene where the first guy gets infected and the girl locks the other in the med bay was fucking excellent. The suspense was incredibly well done.
I was hoping for some skin-a-max type of stuff. Just a bit of boob.

Also,

just a question. These movies are taking place before the original alien movie?

I was hoping for some skin-a-max type of stuff. Just a bit of boob.

Also,

IIRC Alien takes place around 20 years after Covenant, yes.

Waterston is an absolute 100% downgrade from the one of a kind Rapace.

The 2 major criticisms across the board seems to be;

1. Poor Characters

2. Prometheus Continuity/Arc Retcon (not quite the right word but you get what I mean)

AVP 2 would have been better if I could actually see what the fuck was happening

I swear most scenes are pitch black
Honestly, if they had actually worked on characters and not adopted the pathetic "highschool teen picked on by jocks" nonsense, it could have been an actual decent film. Great alien effects though :(

I honestly liked all the characters. I feel like most of their decisions were not dumb or unrealistic. I will say there are a couple characters that made questionable decisions, but keep in mind the audience knows all about Aliens/face huggers the Covenant crew do not.

Once the Covenant lands on the planet the movie picks up pace, suspense, and thrills. I loved it.

I felt myself caring and hoping that Daniels, Tennessee, Walter, even Sergeant Lope survived. Demian Biclir(Sergeant Lope) also gave a solid performance. Really all the actors did imo.

The Neomorphs were a great addition to the Alien franchise. They act different than the Xenomorph. Neomorph are more like a wild wolf with rabbis. It was different in a good way.

I had no problem with this film on what is a tired, worn out franchise...

I would never go so far as to say this is the worst movie in the franchise-- not even close-- but it's definitely not the kind of Alien film I would have hoped for from Ridley Scott, as inconsistent a filmmaker as he is.

3/10

3 out of 10? That's practically unwatchable!
I haven't seen it yet, but that's an unconvincing rating.
I know when I look at restaurant reviews, 2 out of 5 is not even worth attending.

The pacing at the end felt rushed. T

In space, no one can hear you scream. With each passing Alien prequels, no one cares anymore.

Rating: 6/10

Absolutely spot on review. I purposely stayed away from all Covenant news/reviews for the last month(including this thread) because I wanted to go into the movie without knowing a single thing if this movie was decent or not.

Anyway caught a 11am showing this morning. Disappointed that the IMAX big screen in my local movie was not going to show it because it wasn't in 3D so I had to see it in a second tier screen. Around 30 people were in the theater. 11AM show and after 25 mins of fucking trailers (which reminds me why I hate movie theaters) Covenant FINALLY started.

This movie definitely was a run-of-the-mill monster slasher retread. It's as if the backlash from Prometheus was so bad that Ridley decided to play a prank and give people too much gore. A big fuck you to people who bitched about not enough chestbursters. Well people..... you got all the Aliens popping out of every orifice you can think of now.

I just can't believe they basically abandoned the Engineer mythology that the first movie built up to and turned it into a monster slasher movie.

Ill give it a weak 5.

3 out of 10? That's practically unwatchable!
I haven't seen it yet, but that's an unconvincing rating.
I know when I look at restaurant reviews, 2 out of 5 is not even worth attending.

When I think of 5/10 being 'average', I just can't bring myself to even give this movie that. The decisions made here aren't just Prometheus bad, but the plot hinges on the captain making a batshit crazy decision, otherwise there wouldn't even be a movie in the first place. And that was just one of a number of stupid things about the film that I couldn't get over. I was able to let go of the dumb shit in Prometheus because at least there, usually something wild happened that got me invested, but there was never a moment in Covenant that got to that point. It doesn't help that the third act was really lackluster and had that stupid "twist" ending tacked on to it. There's other issues I have with it on top of that, but that would require going into spoiler territory.

I don't think it's a spoiler to discuss the dates in the franchise.
  • Prometheus takes place in the last week of 2093 (the very final scene is New Year day 2094)
  • Covenant takes place in 2104
  • Alien takes place in 2122
  • Aliens takes place in 2179
After that it's foggy because we don't know exactly when Alien 3 is set.

I remember reading somewhere don't know if it's cannon but Ridley Scott wanted the blade runner universe to take place in the same world as aliens. Would be cool if that did happen.

And yes I have read do androids dream of electric sheep, and know Dick has nothing to do with the aliens franchise

I don't know whether I should see this tonight.

Back