Economy Alibaba announces tremendously bad news, yuuge job losses

China is weaker but it is united.

I don't mean they all get along but without the short termism that is present in every democracy they can ride out much worse conditions than an elected official.

I've been watching a Vietnam war mini series and this reminds me of a comment on the kill ratio. American forces were killing 10 Vietnamese for each 1 American lost. But American people don't care about the 10 they care about the 1.
But they do not innovate like the US . China is noticeably behind Japan tech wise, so way behind the US. All their stuff is copied from Western and Japanese tech or stolen (industrial espionage)

But they do not innovate like the US . China is noticeably behind Japan tech wise, so way behind the US. All their stuff is copied from Western and Japanese tech or stolen (industrial espionage)

You're golden, man.

I have simply grown exhausted talking about China and being virtually alone in this struggle as a non-Trumper. It's some of the most heartbreaking partisan hackery I've ever seen in my life. @HomerThompson is tacitly supportive but like, nobody else. They'd just as soon see China destroy this country and its future than the Trump Admin get a single thing right and if it's gotten anything right - at all - it's this China bullshit.

Everyone left of centre generally likes the NYTimes and WaPo, right? For the love of fuck, listen to them. Understand why this is not good for anyone making their living in the United States of America.

One More Time.

NYTimes: China's Intellectual Property Theft Must Stop

Chinese companies, with the encouragement of official Chinese policy and often the active participation of government personnel, have been pillaging the intellectual property of American companies. All together, intellectual-property theft costs America up to $600 billion a year, the greatest transfer of wealth in history. China accounts for most of that loss.

Intellectual-property theft covers a wide spectrum: counterfeiting American fashion designs, pirating movies and video games, patent infringement and stealing proprietary technology and software. This assault saps economic growth, costs Americans jobs, weakens our military capability and undercuts a key American competitive advantage — innovation.

Chinese companies have stolen trade secrets from virtually every sector of the American economy: automobiles, auto tires, aviation, chemicals, consumer electronics, electronic trading, industrial software, biotech and pharmaceuticals. Last year U.S. Steel accused Chinese hackers of stealing trade secrets related to the production of lightweight steel, then turning them over to Chinese steel makers.

Perhaps most concerning, China has targeted the American defense industrial base. Chinese spies have gone after private defense contractors and subcontractors, national laboratories, public research universities, think tanks and the American government itself. Chinese agents have gone after the United States’ most significant weapons, such as the F-35 Lightning, the Aegis Combat System and the Patriot missile system; illegally exported unmanned underwater vehicles and thermal-imaging cameras; and stolen documents related to the B-52 bomber, the Delta IV rocket, the F-15 fighter and even the Space Shuttle.

WaPo: Waking Up To China’s Infiltration Of American Colleges

China’s massive foreign influence campaign in the United States takes a long view, sowing seeds in American institutions meant to blossom over years or even decades. That’s why the problem of Chinese financial infusions into U.S. higher education is so difficult to grasp and so crucial to combat.

At last, the community of U.S. officials, lawmakers and academics focused on resisting Chinese efforts to subvert free societies is beginning to respond to Beijing’s presence on America’s campuses. One part of that is compelling public and private universities to reconsider hosting Confucius Institutes, the Chinese government-sponsored outposts of culture and language training.

With more than 100 universities in the United States now in direct partnership with the Chinese government through Confucius Institutes, the U.S. intelligence community is warning about their potential as spying outposts. But the more important challenge is the threat the institutes pose to the ability of the next generation of American leaders to learn, think and speak about realities in China and the true nature of the Communist Party regime.

I wouldn't say China is very far behind Japan at this juncture though sans lacking a domestic semiconductor industry (the crown jewel of tech applications). They have leap-frogged Germany and Japan in terms of high quality research output and the Chinese Academy of Sciences is the single most productive institution in the world, albeit the largest.

Of course, the US still has 46 of the top 100 and nearly doubles the PRC despite the latter pulling closer and closer to matching total R&D funding. Xi Jinping has made quite a few changes including reform of the S&T funding and evaluation systems, shifting priorities towards fundamental/applied research and instigating policies to encourage investment in them, raising the budgets for R&D overheads, cutting bureaucratic red tape to give scientists more freedom and incentivization efforts for foreign talent to come abroad.

Index.png

https://www.washingtonpost.com/amph...f883e6-fd44-11e7-8f66-2df0b94bb98a_story.html

In a sane world — shorn of nationalistic, economic, racial and ethnic conflicts — none of this would be particularly alarming. Technology is mobile, and gains made in China could be enjoyed elsewhere, and vice versa. But in our contentious world, China's technological prowess is potentially threatening, as the U.S.-China Economic and Security Review Commission, a congressional watchdog group, has often pointed out.

One danger is military. If China makes a breakthrough in a crucial technology — satellites, missiles, cyberwarfare, artificial intelligence, electromagnetic weapons — the result could be a major shift in the strategic balance and, possibly, war.

Even if this doesn't happen, warns the commission, China's determination to dominate new industries such as artificial intelligence, telecommunications and computers could lead to economic warfare if China maintains subsidies and discriminatory policies to sustain its firms' competitive advantage.

"Industries like computing, robotics, and biotechnology are pillars of U.S. economic competitiveness, sustaining and creating millions of high-paying jobs and high-value-added exports," the commission said in its latest annual report. The loss of global leadership in these future drivers of global growth would weaken the American economy. Chinese theft of U.S. industrial trade secrets compounds the danger.

Good. We don't need giant Chinese corporations coming to America and enslaving us, spreading their privacy invading social credit score propaganda. We arent smart enough to defend ourselves from that junk.
But they have such cool ninjas and TKD is awesome. Plus, the sushi

https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_5ba336c0e4b069d5f9cfda9a

Chinese tech giant Alibaba will no longer bring the 1 million jobs it had promised to the U.S. because the hostile trade environment created by President Donald Trump and his ongoing tariff conflict with China has made such a plan impossible, the company’s co-founder and chairman Jack Ma announced this week.

So how does Trump spin this in his favor? I remember his supporters heralding this as a yuge win.
We don’t need Chinese Amazon. We are dealing with Amazon’s shit working conditions ATM

True but that is not going to determine who can outlast the other in a trade war.

We don’t need Chinese Amazon. We are dealing with Amazon’s shit working conditions ATM

As I understand it he wasn't going to employ anyone but simply give American companies better access to the largest and fastest growing middle class in human history.

True but that is not going to determine who can outlast the other in a trade war.

As I understand it he wasn't going to employ anyone but simply give American companies better access to the largest and fastest growing middle class in human history.

US exports to China apparently would have had to rise by around ~$205 billion to deliver on the promised jobs pledge according to the Commerce Department. That's more than what was exported to the PRC in total goods and services last year.

Edit: JFC, man.

Last edited:
I swear I'm going to get these posts right on the first try, eventually. "Edited" is ugly, and ugly is ugly. Why is it imperative to know that a post was edited outside of an insanely brief five minute window? That shit triggers me. And yet again.

Last edited:
US exports to China apparently would have had to rise by around ~$205 billion to deliver on the promised jobs pledge according to the Commerce Department. That's less than what was exported to the PRC in total goods and services last year.

It would have helped but certainly not have covered that much ground.

However, it did seem like the exact kind of arrangement the US would want, shipping finished product directly to the Chinese masses.

Alibaba slings bootleg products, why the fuck would we help IP's be stolen?

Biggest issue our tradesmen face is Alibaba, and yall want to bring them stateside?

Word on the street is the Chinese Communist Party is about to launch a campaign to take over all private corporations in China, hence the news of Jack Ma's retirement plan.

Jack Ana sounds like something an Australian would say at the end of a drunken date.

Word on the street is the Chinese Communist Party is about to launch a campaign to take over all private corporations in China, hence the news of Jack Ma's retirement plan.

One of the reasons I won't invest in them any longer. Chinese companies are too intertwined with the state and will be sacrificed for the sake of the state.

It is more the Chinese Ebay.

One of the reasons I won't invest in them any longer. Chinese companies are too intertwined with the state and will be sacrificed for the sake of the state.

This thread title is such utter horseshite that I'm literally laughing out loud seeing it again, it should've been dumped on sight. I'm glad I caught and crushed on the first page when it was originally posted. Yuuge job losses, we have 500,000+ unfilled positions in the industrial sector right now and most of them are upskilled work with salaries comfortably above the average manufacturing wage (around $22/hr).

Back