Aliakbari vs Mondragón added to RIZIN April's Event

don't think we'll see much improvement from tournament to this fight. But word is Deutsch Puu is headed to thailand to help him with his next fight.

Puu is a sparring partner for Wladimir Klitschko and sometimes for Mark Hunt. Also was the first man to KO Cabbage way back when that wasn't possible. Retired Spec Ops badass who now trains young at-risk youth in Vegas. Awesome dude and a master of both jabs and hooks to counter jabs. Will do wonders for a Greco wrestler who likes to close distance and likes to be within hooking range.

Good to hear he picked up such a top notch training partner. This is the area where he definitely needs to improve most because he has a ton of potential but needs to round out his game a bit.

Good to hear he picked up such a top notch training partner. This is the area where he definitely needs to improve most because he has a ton of potential but needs to round out his game a bit.
100% and I can speak first-hand Pu'u is high-quality for someone who needs just to focus on fundamentals. It's truly what Amir needs becuase obviously his takedowns and closing distance for grappling is already on point.

Pu'u has made a couple high-quality kickboxing prospects out of his actual garage (while working with at-risk youth), including a 22yr-old monster 6'5 170 kid Patrick Branch. You can hear him in Branch's corner in this fight.

Round-2 for the MMA fight... it's exactly what Amir needs.

If Amir can employ even a quarter of what this kid learned, he'll be hard to stop because he can control the action.

100% and I can speak first-hand Pu'u is high-quality for someone who needs just to focus on fundamentals. It's truly what Amir needs becuase obviously his takedowns and closing distance for grappling is already on point.

Pu'u has made a couple high-quality kickboxing prospects out of his actual garage (while working with at-risk youth), including a 22yr-old monster 6'5 170 kid Patrick Branch. You can hear him in Branch's corner in this fight.

Round-2 for the MMA fight... it's exactly what Amir needs.

If Amir can employ even a quarter of what this kid learned, he'll be hard to stop because he can control the action.

I wonder if he would have faired better against Cro Cop with a training camp like this. Probably hard to say since he is still early in his MMA career but if he improves in this area he could really be a force in this sport in the future.

I wonder if he would have faired better against Cro Cop with a training camp like this. Probably hard to say since he is still early in his MMA career but if he improves in this area he could really be a force in this sport in the future.

He would have at least had a better chance, but it's not like you can fully prep for Crocop in striking without a real long-term camp. Also, when it comes to crisp striking he'll be fighting his own nature for the first year at least. So it's really not easy. But with strong dedication and having a coach like Pu'u (military man, no-bs and no excuses type guy) will certainly give him a chance to succeed at a faster clip.

I mean, if a 100% green 20yr-old basketball player can get to 7-1 kickboxing and 2-2 MMA with two years of training under Pu'u (and Fight Capital sparring); then a world-champ wrestler who understands how to focus hard on being the best.... has a strong chance of being great under his teaching style.

It doesn't matter what he does if he doesn't have cardio. An argument can be made that both of his tournament fights should have gone any extra round. If they were regular fights, he would have had to contend with a longer first round and he would be gassed out to do anything in subsequent rounds other than take a beating.

The biggest hole in his game is his conditioning.

Decent fight. GDS is probably going to get ground and pounded into oblivion though.

I would like to see Aliakbari vs Baruto

It doesn't matter what he does if he doesn't have cardio. An argument can be made that both of his tournament fights should have gone any extra round. If they were regular fights, he would have had to contend with a longer first round and he would be gassed out to do anything in subsequent rounds other than take a beating.

The biggest hole in his game is his conditioning.

Cardio is definitely another area he needs to work on, I agree.

He would have at least had a better chance, but it's not like you can fully prep for Crocop in striking without a real long-term camp. Also, when it comes to crisp striking he'll be fighting his own nature for the first year at least. So it's really not easy. But with strong dedication and having a coach like Pu'u (military man, no-bs and no excuses type guy) will certainly give him a chance to succeed at a faster clip.

I mean, if a 100% green 20yr-old basketball player can get to 7-1 kickboxing and 2-2 MMA with two years of training under Pu'u (and Fight Capital sparring); then a world-champ wrestler who understands how to focus hard on being the best.... has a strong chance of being great under his teaching style.

True, Cro Cop was a tough test for a fighter so early in his career, especially with such short notice and without a full training camp. Excellent points.

Why? It would be awesome to see a great Greco guy against a great Sumo guy.

Or Ishii the gold medalist in judo. Be interesting to see how all three of their styles play out on one another.

Why? It would be awesome to see a great Greco guy against a great Sumo guy.

Because Baruto sucks to watch. He'd also get the shit beaten out of him here anyways, can only beat up on old men.

Back