Alexa Grasso vs Tatiana Suarez. Does UFC know what they’re doing?

In a division that is low on grappling based fighters.

Would love to see more grappling based fighters in the division. If for nothing else, but to balance out the wrestle-a-lots like this girl who is fighting Grasso and Esparaza.

Grasso's opponents shouldn't be allowed to hit her in the face.

If it’s something you don’t care about, why would you care about it ?

It’s ok to like women fighting mma.
There’s no rule against not liking it or admitting it.

yeah TS, I agree that WMMA is a joke, but if you don't care that much, why even create a thread about it? also, for someone that doesn't really care, you know quite a lot about it

for example, I care for about 5 WMMA fighters, and none of them are named tatiana suarez, and because of that, I don't know anything about her nor have watched one of her fights. that's how you don't care

You're still going to watch, TS

I don't know why everyone is just assuming Suarez will maul Grasso. Based on what previous wins of Suarez? ABC? Midget Sucuri?

Based on style matchups. In her UFC career, Grasso has been getting more hesitant & passive with each fight. Also, her stance is steadily degrading, she used to have a good striking stance where she could punch, kick, and move around well, but she keeps going to a wider & lower stance with each fight which takes away her kicks, reduces the range on her punches, and kills the speed of her footwork & movement. It's not as bad as Tippy-toe Penn, but it's still bad. In short, it leaves her as a stationary target for Saurez to shoot doubles & singles. Also, she'll have a reach disadvantage against Saurez, without quick footwork she won't be able to get in & out to land strikes without either getting hit in return or getting clinched/shot on for a takedown attempt.

Saurez is still a raw fighter but her wrestling & ground control is solid, and she's also huge for the division. She doesn't have as much speed & drive on her shots as Claudia but other than that there's little to fault with her wrestling. She gets position properly, transitions well to singles & trip takedowns when initial attempts are defended, and does all the basics right. She's not wasting energy trying to muscle opponents off the fence, she'll change direction and use trips to get more efficient takedowns. And once she gets fighters down she's a hell of a good blanket.

Maybe Grasso can find her Invicta self, I sure as hell hope she does, but if she doesn't, she's gonna get Fitch'd.

Would love to see more grappling based fighters in the division. If for nothing else, but to balance out the wrestle-a-lots like this girl who is fighting Grasso and Esparaza.

Wow. So much silliness.
1. Wrestling is a grappling art.
2. Esparza and Suarez are the only fighters in the division with a wrestling base. The rest are primarily strikers. Hardly something that needs "balancing out."

Based on style matchups. In her UFC career, Grasso has been getting more hesitant & passive with each fight. Also, her stance is steadily degrading, she used to have a good striking stance where she could punch, kick, and move around well, but she keeps going to a wider & lower stance with each fight which takes away her kicks, reduces the range on her punches, and kills the speed of her footwork & movement. It's not as bad as Tippy-toe Penn, but it's still bad. In short, it leaves her as a stationary target for Saurez to shoot doubles & singles. Also, she'll have a reach disadvantage against Saurez, without quick footwork she won't be able to get in & out to land strikes without either getting hit in return or getting clinched/shot on for a takedown attempt.

Saurez is still a raw fighter but her wrestling & ground control is solid, and she's also huge for the division. She doesn't have as much speed & drive on her shots as Claudia but other than that there's little to fault with her wrestling. She gets position properly, transitions well to singles & trip takedowns when initial attempts are defended, and does all the basics right. She's not wasting energy trying to muscle opponents off the fence, she'll change direction and use trips to get more efficient takedowns. And once she gets fighters down she's a hell of a good blanket.

Maybe Grasso can find her Invicta self, I sure as hell hope she does, but if she doesn't, she's gonna get Fitch'd.

It's a one inch reach advantage for Suarez. Fairly negligible. Also, a wider stance is better when facing wrestlers, because it better prepares you to sprawl against the takedowns.

1. Wrestling is a grappling art.

No it isn't. Grappling is grappling and wrestling a lot is wrestling a lot.

And yes, that chick who won TUF and Esparza abso-fucking-lutely need balacing out by grapplers and strikers. If the striker or grappler to wrestler ratio would be, say, 100:2, the division still would need a lot more grapplers and strikers.

No it isn't. Grappling is grappling and wrestling a lot is wrestling a lot.

And yes, that chick who won TUF and Esparza abso-fucking-lutely need balacing out by grapplers and strikers. If the striker or grappler to wrestler ratio would be, say, 100:2, the division still would need a lot more grapplers and strikers.
Okay, let's just completely redefine what is and isn't a grappling art. :rolleyes:

I feel that Alexa will defeat Suarez, to be honest.
And yep, Grasso is duly authorized to sit on my face. That's all I need to know.

While not building the way we all like, they have to have legit stars to back. I think they are just trying to get the number of fighters to back smaller. I do not mind women in the UFC to a certain degree. Not 50/50 as a paying fan, and customer, but say 2-3 fights per card does not hurt my feelings at all. So if they are going to continue with WMMA I would rather they narrow the field and make a better product, with higher caliber fighters. So if having a few stars lose to other up and comers, so be it, as long as the end product becomes better.

I like this fight, but don't want either to lose. Suarez is an accomplished freestyle wrestler, so I gotta side with her. But I hope Grasso wins.. I want to shake that memory of her getting beat by Herrig away. Grasso and Aldana are both good, but need to move camps to CA or something.

Okay, let's just completely redefine what is and isn't a grappling art. :rolleyes:

Grappling is grappling, and those singletwearing alotwrestlers are their own thing. And especially when one brings the word art in, wrestling a lot defenestrates itself from the discussion.

But yeah, I think it's time to give up again, like I had to do last time when you overreaccted to an Esparza joke.

'Suarez' dude

They can build her up as a Mexican star as well

affliction-cain-velasquez-ufc-180-white-shirt.jpg

Last edited:
that grasso chick has the devils eyes, like that chick from the heroes tv show that cried and made motherfuckers heads explode and what not.

creepy

I don't think everyone realises that Suarez wrestled as Tatiana Padilla, could easily have been an Olympic gold medallist if thyroid cancer hadn't intervened.

Grappling is grappling, and those singletwearing alotwrestlers are their own thing. And especially when one brings the word art in, wrestling a lot defenestrates itself from the discussion.

But yeah, I think it's time to give up again, like I had to do last time when you overreaccted to an Esparza joke.
Yeah, okay, go tell that to any submission wrestler or scholastic wrestler.

But then, I guess it depends on what your definition of "is" is.

Suarez is actually pretty fun to watch she ain’t playin around....for a woman fighter that is

Back