Aldo is the most overlooked former champ of all time

120wrestling

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
It seems like the only people that consider him a Top 5 all time great are the underground fans who look at his resume and track record. It's obvious, because his record and accomplishments show that he's one of the best to ever do it.

But every time UFC releases a promo....they're always talking about the other champions. Whenever fighters are getting interviewed in regards to who are the best fighters ever, Aldo's name never comes up. When MM broke Silva's record, the UFC on Fox staff were saying that he surpassed other great champs like GSP, Silva, Rousey, Hughes, Lidell, etc...

It's just weird how everyone seems to forget that Aldo's beaten four world champions, 2x over former UFC champ Edgar, and other legends.

Jose Aldo
- Youngest MMA world champion of all time at 22ish
- 9 title defenses (Jon Jones had 8 in a row, GSP had 9 in a row, Silva had 10 in a row, MM has 11 in a row)
Meaning that Aldo has the 3rd most defenses in MMA history, before MM he was tied at 2nd)
- Beaten Cub Swanson, Urijah Faber, Edgar 2x, Mendes 2x, Korean Zombie, Kenny Florian, Manny G., Ricardo Lamas, etc.
- One of the first hybrid fighters back in his day. Born and raised as a dangerous grappler, who never had to use it due to his extreme athleticism and nasty striking

Put some respek on his name. People keep talking about DC and shit being an all time GOAT already. Bish please, Aldo been doing this shiz before it was cool

In time it will come back. Looking at resume and ability it's obvious Aldo's an all-time great, but his defeat to Conor was REALLY bad and right now dominates his achievements in the common mind.

Meh Conor hater here picked Conor and OFC picked Holloway. One thing Conor said correct is he made a career outta beating wrestlers. That has changed and Aldo will continue to have issues. I honestly think Cub would beat him in a full fight instead of fluke 3 second double flying knee.

13 seconds to destroy a legacy

In time it will come back. Looking at resume and ability it's obvious Aldo's an all-time great, but his defeat to Conor was REALLY bad and right now dominates his achievements in the common mind.

The defeat wasn't a big deal - anyone can get caught - but he totally embarrassed himself in the aftermath.

Aldo will always be one of my favs. First fight of his I watched was his alpha KO of Cub.

Damn right. WEC Aldo, especially, was a sight to behold

He was very athletic at the start, like soccer player leg kicks, Conor kind of took his aura with that knockout , unfortunately, then the loss to Hollaway in Brazil. The guy has also hinted a retirement alot which is always kind of sad He probably made less money than Mac in that fight. I would put him in the the top 3 FW

13 seconds to destroy a legacy
The thing is this put a severe dent his legacy. The main reason is more people watched this single fight than probably all of Aldo's fights prior to this and by a huge margin. People that don't know MMA that well will look at him as the champion who got drilled in 13 seconds without taking into account his record before hand which was pretty up there with the best of them.

While I don't hold Cub and Faber in as high regard as a lot of fans, his wins over Edgar and Mendes are very impressive.

I think most people , aside from the Conor die-hards, respect his skills in the cage.

His lack of popularity to me is because he wasn't exactly a fan friendly guy. He never seemed to care about putting much effort into marketing himself or ingratiating himself with fans outside of the cage.

He conquer'd in his small village until a real G came up and slept him in 13 seconds.

The thing is this put a severe dent his legacy. The main reason is more people watched this single fight than probably all of Aldo's fights prior to this and by a huge margin. People that don't know MMA that well will look at him as the champion who got drilled in 13 seconds without taking into account his record before hand which was pretty up there with the best of them.

Agreed the 'new' fans calling Aldo a bum pisses me off to be fair
I remember going into this fight (the first time) fearing for Conor's life

What makes me lol, is how aldo was simultaneously p4p goat and a bum if you go through alot of Conor cock huggers posts.

Totally. Even before Conor was around, he never got the respect he deserved. I never got why

At the very least he is the FW GOAT.

Back