Aldo in the second Holloway is the best version of Aldo we’ve ever seen

Nobody said he was successful.

Keep up.

So we agree then. Aldo has never had this "golden" cardio that you spoke of. And it wasn't somehow better in the Edgar and Mendes fights. It's always been one of the weaker aspects of his game.

WEC Aldo is the best Aldo we have ever seen. The guy who wrecked prime Mike Brown and Urijah Faber. He was untouchable back then.
Technically hes a much better striker now. Maybe not the athlete he was then, though.

So we agree then. Aldo has never had this "golden" cardio that you spoke of. And it wasn't somehow better in the Edgar and Mendes fights. It's always been one of the weaker aspects of his game.

Nobody who takes the championship rounds from a tireless warrior like Frankie has weak cardio. At best it can be said Aldo has inconsistent cardio, but that when he fought Frankie it was the strongest it's ever been.

In fact at UFC-200 Frankie put even more consistent pressure on Aldo than Max did. Frankie won R1 against Aldo, something Max wasn't able to do in either of his fights. Frankie pressured for 5 rounds, Max only started in R2. Frankie also constantly shot TDs on Aldo, a strategy which is more taxing on an opponent's cardio than Max's strategy of striking alone.

Nobody who takes the championship rounds from a tireless warrior like Frankie has weak cardio. At best it can be said Aldo has inconsistent cardio, but that when he fought Frankie it was the strongest it's ever been.

In fact at UFC-200 Frankie put even more consistent pressure on Aldo than Max did. Frankie won R1 against Aldo, something Max wasn't able to do in either of his fights. Frankie pressured for 5 rounds, Max only started in R2. Frankie also constantly shot TDs on Aldo, a strategy which is more taxing on an opponent's cardio than Max's strategy of striking alone.

No, Frankie just wasn’t able to push the right buttons to expose it. There have been people in the past who have shown us glimpses of it, like say Lamas or Hominick. But none of them had the technical ability to make Aldo uncomfortable, and to keep him constantly working. Holloway, with his own endless cardio, height, reach and most importantly of all skill, never gave Aldo the chance to rest in the nooks and crannies of their exchanges like he so often does.

Wrestling has nothing to do with it. In fact, it’s actually better for Aldo. Aldo likes to either explode in, or counter. He doesn’t like it when he has to fight at range, especially not when there’s a distance his opponent can hit him at, while he doesn’t have the same luxury (and it’s normally an area of rest).
It forces him to fight almost frantically and fend his opponent away with offense. When I saw the first exchange with Max, I knew it was only a matter of time before the inevitable. But with Frankie, I knew Aldo would beat him to the punch all night, because Aldo was only working when he felt like it.

Holloway is simply more taxing to fight than Frankie.

Last edited:
Holloway isnt even necessarily a better striker, hes way bigger, more durable, better cardio with striking yhat is almost as good. Its a horrible style for aldo, a guy who can take his shots and wont stop coming.

WEC Aldo is the best Aldo we have ever seen. The guy who wrecked prime Mike Brown and Urijah Faber. He was untouchable back then.

People like you have obviously never trained a day in their lives and have never even watched boxing. Don't ever post again.

WEC Aldo is complete shit compared to the Aldo that fought Holloway in either fight. Aldo didn't develop any respectable boxing skill until the first Frankie Edgar fight, and his cardio improved over the years due to better weight cutting techniques (learning the hard way, his best cardio showcase was in the second Frankie Edgar fight). His athleticism and reflexes didn't suddenly get worse once he actually developed good skills which was during the UFC.

Truth be told, I see no visual evidence of Aldo being past his prime. He was as sharp as ever in the first Holloway fight. I should rewatch the second perhaps but I don't remember him seeming any different.

People like you have obviously never trained a day in their lives and have never even watched boxing. Don't ever post again.

WEC Aldo is complete shit compared to the Aldo that fought Holloway in either fight. Aldo didn't develop any respectable boxing skill until the first Frankie Edgar fight, and his cardio improved over the years due to better weight cutting techniques (learning the hard way, his best cardio showcase was in the second Frankie Edgar fight). His athleticism and reflexes didn't suddenly get worse once he actually developed good skills which was during the UFC.

Truth be told, I see no visual evidence of Aldo being past his prime. He was as sharp as ever in the first Holloway fight. I should rewatch the second perhaps but I don't remember him seeming any different.
Boxing isn't the only facet of MMA. No need to be hostile.

Boxing isn't the only facet of MMA. No need to be hostile.

So you're implying Aldo's boxing did indeed get better but everything else somehow got worse? lol... WEC Aldo is merely a sloppy brawler with very good takedown defense and a great but underutilized ground game.

Holy shit the OP is retarded.

Holloway isnt even necessarily a better striker, hes way bigger, more durable, better cardio with striking yhat is almost as good. Its a horrible style for aldo, a guy who can take his shots and wont stop coming.

Holloway is a far better striker than Aldo.

Excuses are like assholes very similar thing happened in the Lamas fight. Jose starts coasting in the 4th and gases in the 5th

Jose didn't gas in the fifth. He missed on a takedown, slipped and was content to ride out the end with a huge lead.

Holloway is a far better striker than Aldo.

Better boxer certainly. Being huge for 145 doesn't hurt either. Guys like Max and Ortega's size with their skill level are crazy dangerous.

Aldo is outside of his athletic prime and has a TON of millage. Stop and count all the injuries. One day, Holloway will have years of wear and tear and be facing the next great thing, and look old. This is how MMA works, virtually no one exits on top.

The closet we can cite for leaving on top is Georges, and he retired on a controversial split decision looking like he fought a bear.

If we had to pick the best Jose Aldo, it would probably be something in the course of 3-4 years ago.

Couldn't have typed it better myself.

Better boxer certainly. Being huge for 145 doesn't hurt either. Guys like Max and Ortega's size with their skill level are crazy dangerous.

Their time at 145 is also limited. Doubt they'll consistently make the cut at age 30.

Their time at 145 is also limited. Doubt they'll consistently make the cut at age 30.

True. 155 is in their future. It makes Frankie being a top guy for about eight years at 155 and 145 even more impressive. Imagine if Frankie and Aldo had those guy's size.

Aldo has always had suspect cardio. Look at the Hominick fight. Hominick is a pretty B level fighter and ended the 5th round on top of Aldo GNP'ing him do to Aldo's lack of cardio. This was 7 years ago btw Aldo was only 24
You casually left out the part where Aldo was seriously ill before that fight. Matter of fact, since you clearly have the internet, google it and see it for yourself. Not to mention aldo destroyed hominick, who btw, was a very good fighter at the time. Carry on tho

This. When they were both fresh, they seemed very evenly matched with a slight edge to Aldo.

Still haven't rewatched it

I do remember before the 3rd round the head movement was on point.

Aldo being passed his prime is a myth. He’s simply fighting better fighters that aren’t midget wrestlers
What a silly thing to say. He may be young in years, but not in fight years. Dude's been around over a decade.

Aldo boxing and head movement look better than ever in the second Holloway fight,he’s more patient And know when to explode,his counter striking also got better,but Holloway is just a more skilled striker.no shame of losing to a better fighter

Honestly I'm not even sure he's more skilled than Aldo, I think Aldo just can't fight the kind of fight he needs to beat Holloway for 5 rounds. He has the skills but his cardio just can't keep up

Back