Live-Action AKIRA v.2 (Set for 2021 Release; Thor: Ragnarok's Taika Waititi to Direct)

Who will they cast as Shōtarō Kaneda?

100 bucks it will be some white guy or a black guy

I think Nolan is pretty overrated and the only movie I really enjoyed that he directed was Batman Begins. Hope he stays far away from Akira.

Then your opinion of your own knowledge of movies is overrated.
Memento is the best movie Nolan directed.

I don't see the need in making Akira a live action movie, but I'm sure I'll watch it regardless.

Update: March 30, 2017

GET OUT's Jordan Peele in Talks with Warner Bros. to Direct AKIRA Movie

I5DUISm.jpg

On last week’s Meet the Movie Press, a rumor was passed that Daniel Espinosa and David F. Sandberg were in the running to direct the live-action Akira movie for Warner Bros. but here on the ground at CinemaCon that discussion has shifted, with insiders saying the studio is moving aggressively to lock in Jordan Peele to direct coming off the mega-success of Get Out.

Warner Bros. has been enamored with Peele ever since Get Out opened to big business and sparked a cultural conversation. At one point, The Tracking Board thought the studio was going to ask him to direct The Flash. Who knows? They still could! But The Tracking Board says Akira is the WB project they’re currently discussing with Peele, and the talks have apparently been encouraging.

Leonardo DiCaprio’s Appian Way is producing Akira with Andrew Lazar (American Sniper). Marco Ramirez (Netflix’s Daredevil) wrote the most recent draft of the script, though it’s expected that Peele would do his own pass should he close a deal.

Warner Bros. has struggled for years to gets its live-action adaptation of Katsuhiro Otomo’s classic manga off the ground, and the property has languished in development to fans’ dismay. The film nearly went into production several years ago with Jaume Collet-Serra directing Garrett Hedlund and Kristen Stewart, but the plug was pulled at the last minute.

Peele’s directorial debut Get Out has grossed more than $150 million on a reported budget of less than $5 million. Insiders say he’s refreshingly unpredictable and could always decide to stick with making socially-conscious genre films that give him more creative freedom for the time being, but the feeling within the industry is he’s ready to make the big-budget leap now.

Hot Off 'Get Out,' Jordan Peele is Being Courted to Direct 'Akira' for Warner Bros. (Exclusive)

Just say no, fam. It's not worth the blow back.

While I haven't seen get out, this seems like it is to far out from what he does.

I liked Get Out alot, but what in that movie makes Hollywood think Peele is right to handle a multi-million dollar CGI spectacle?

Every time I hear an update on this project it underscores the fact that these guys have no idea what they're even trying to cash in on.

I kind of look at Akira like the Watchmen Graphic novel...
Alan Moore said that he wanted to make a novel that could not be made into a movie.

Now don't get me wrong, the Watchmen movie was pretty near page for page on screen, but with Akira....

I just don't see it being done properly and I think it'll be a disaster.

Jordan Peele, do NOT go near this film! If it were a woman, do NOT approach... Not even with a stolen D1ck.

Swordless Mimetown, Jacksonville State University

Jordan Peele?
<{walkerwhut}>

Without sounding too PC. Why not give an Asian director with some history in anime a crack at it with a big budget?

@Dragonlordxxxxx hit me up with some directors names with anime chops that might be able to pull this off.

I kind of look at Akira like the Watchmen Graphic novel...
Alan Moore said that he wanted to make a novel that could not be made into a movie.

Now don't get me wrong, the Watchmen movie was pretty near page for page on screen, but with Akira....

I just don't see it being done properly and I think it'll be a disaster.

Jordan Peele, do NOT go near this film! If it were a woman, do NOT approach... Not even with a stolen D1ck.

Everything about akira can me made perfect with current tech while being true to the source aterial, its the casting that will make it or break it.

The wrong hallywood dip shit in a major part will flop this hard.

Peele is an intriguing choice. He hit it out the park with Get Out.

Funny how Hollywood likes to jump on bandwagons. In the next 18-24 months we will get Akira, Ghost in the shell, Battle Angel and maybe even Robotech.

Peele is an intriguing choice. He

Evangelion with Cameron directing... nut buster.

Marvel DC is utter creative shit compared to the stories manga/anime offer hollywood. That's one source material adaptations i hope hollywood jumps full in.

Jordan Peele?
<{walkerwhut}>

Without sounding too PC. Why not give an Asian director with some history in anime a crack at it with a big budget?

@Dragonlordxxxxx hit me up with some directors names with anime chops that might be able to pull this off.
I think the Wachowkis are Asian now, too.

Evangelion with Cameron directing... nut buster.

Marvel DC is utter creative shit compared to the stories manga/anime offer hollywood. That's one source material adaptations i hope hollywood jumps full in.

Im surprised it has taken this long. They have some amazing properties in Japan.

Back