Live-Action AKIRA v.2 (Set for 2021 Release; Thor: Ragnarok's Taika Waititi to Direct)

Nice another movie based on asian characters with the entire cast whitewashed, I wonder how they are going to get around the fact that the name of the movie is a Japanese name: "Akira", because I doubt the movie will have even one Japanese person in it, Maybe they'll change it to a western name like "John", therefore the title of the movie will simply be "John".

I don't see how it would make sense with a title like Akira if they're not even considering putting any asian people in the film.

I know, I know.. They have to whitewash it for a western audience so they can relate to the characters. Because we all know it's impossible for anyone to relate to someone else that has minor superficial differences in appearance.

I'd be lying if I said that didn't cross my mind too

What? Really? A live action of Akira? Hmmm... plenty of scope for that to be an absolutely disastrous production.

Nice another movie based on asian characters with the entire cast whitewashed, I wonder how they are going to get around the fact that the name of the movie is a Japanese name: "Akira", because I doubt the movie will have even one Japanese person in it, Maybe they'll change it to a western name like "John", therefore the title of the movie will simply be "John".

I don't see how it would make sense with a title like Akira if they're not even considering putting any asian people in the film.

I know, I know.. They have to whitewash it for a western audience so they can relate to the characters. Because we all know it's impossible for anyone to relate to someone else that has minor superficial differences in appearance.

Asians don't have facial expressions. They'd have to use CG to anthropomorphize them.

No people like me like it when they don't completely bastardize the source material. And who says they have to be Japanese c-class actors? Maybe if they stopped whitewashing every single film with asian characters there would be more asian actors who are encouraged to become great actors. It has to start somewhere.

They can use various actors of asian ethnicities who do not have accents, not every asian person has an accent. The film is called AKIRA, it is based on Japanese themes due to the post nuclear fallout in Hiroshima and Nagasaki. I'm guessing you're from thailand, I bet you would look at it a bit differently if they took one of your legendary works of fiction and completely bastardized it.

And lots people of people complain about Marvel race swapping Nick Fury, Heimdall and Johnny Storm and those were just minor characters. And theres currently a shitstorm about the next James Bond being black. Also Hollywood films are made for an international audience and originate in a country with 35% non-white populations. Japanese movies are made for a domestic audience with a 99% Japanese audience, big difference.

And all those other movies that were whitewashed ended up being critical and financial failures so there is no proof that it will be more successful because they put Dicaprio or an all white cast. You need to open your mind more and drop the pessimistic and ignorant mentality.

Tbf the black Nick Fury was from the Ultimates continuity, where he is black and designed to look like Samuel L Jackson. The only way Jackson wasn't playing the character is if they couldn't get him.

Tbf the black Nick Fury was from the Ultimates continuity, where he is black and designed to look like Samuel L Jackson. The only way Jackson wasn't playing the character is if they couldn't get him.

Yes I know that, yet people were still complaining about it. Yet they expect us not to notice when things like this happen and entire casts are race-swapped, lol could you imagine the uproar if they race-swapped characters like Batman, Superman, Iron Man, etc. Riots on the streets.

That hack can GTFO. Get Cronenberg in

Update: October 5, 2015

MAD MAX: FURY ROAD Director George Miller Turned Down AKIRA Movie

pHmlrxA.jpg

Mad Max: Fury Road director George Miller has turned down helming the live-action Akira film. Miller told Yahoo! Movies that while he was in talks for the Warner Bros. movie, he is no longer involved with the project. "There was talk of it," he said, "But I’ve got so many things on my dance card, I don’t have the time to do everything."

He also debunked reports that he'd cited Akira as an influence on Fury Road. "I don't know where that came from," he said. "I’m a huge fan of anime and the precision of that and to some degree Manga, even though I don’t read Japanese, but just the aesthetic of it. So Akira might have been one of the many movies but it certainly wasn’t one that directly influenced Mad Max."

A live-action version of Akira has been in development for years. Leonardo DiCaprio is attached to produce, Daredevil showrunner Marco J. Ramirez is penning the script, and we recently heard rumors that Christopher Nolan may direct.

'Mad Max: Fury Road' Director George Miller Turned Down Live-Action 'Akira' Movie

I'm pretty damn excited to see Miller's next project. Nolan... not so much. He's like M. Night Shaymalan to me: he's got some projects I really like and some projects that were really hard to sit through. I'm looking at you, DKR.

I rewatched the Anime a few weeks back for the first time in like 20 years. Smoked some weed before and I damn near had an anxiety attack.

I don't think my mind was ready for this when I was watching it at 8 years old.

This and Ninja Scroll were my favorites as a kid. These are NOT kid movies.

Update: June 26, 2016

Rumor: Warner Bros. Wants FAST FIVE's Justin Lin to Direct AKIRA Movie

cuviFFR.jpg

In a recent appearance on Meet the Movie Press (via ScreenRant), The Wrap reporter Jeff Sneider revealed that Warner Bros. is actively courting Justin Lin (Star Trek Beyond, Fast Five) to sign on to direct Akira. Even though Akira hails from Japan and Lin is a Taiwanese American, surely having a filmmaker with an Asian background at the helm of this film would satisfy a lot of fans out there.

Keep in mind that since this is a story Sneider chose to reveal on Meet the Movie Press as opposed to an official trade story means that it might not be solid enough to actually come to fruition. However, he does note that with Lin invested in getting Space Jam 2 with LeBron James off the ground, Warner Bros. may be more willing to let him direct that project if he helps the studio out by directing Akira.

For now, take this information with a grain of salt. Justin Lin has plenty of projects at his disposal, and he may have even more if Star Trek Beyond turns out to be a hit. Let’s not forget that Vin Diesel wants him to return to Fast and Furious for the last film in the franchise.

Warner Bros. Wants 'Star Trek Beyond' Director Justin Lin to Helm the Live-Action ‘Akira’ Adaptation

Update: June 26, 2016

Rumor: Warner Bros. Wants Justin Lin to Direct AKIRA Movie

Justin-Lin-Akira-062616-Dragonlord.jpg

In a recent appearance on Meet the Movie Press (via ScreenRant), The Wrap reporter Jeff Sneider revealed that Warner Bros. is actively courting Justin Lin (Star Trek Beyond, Fast Five) to sign on to direct Akira. Even though Akira hails from Japan and Lin is a Taiwanese American, surely having a filmmaker with an Asian background at the helm of this film would satisfy a lot of fans out there.

Keep in mind that since this is a story Sneider chose to reveal on Meet the Movie Press as opposed to an official trade story means that it might not be solid enough to actually come to fruition. However, he does note that with Lin invested in getting Space Jam 2 with LeBron James off the ground, Warner Bros. may be more willing to let him direct that project if he helps the studio out by directing Akira.

For now, take this information with a grain of salt. Justin Lin has plenty of projects at his disposal, and he may have even more if Star Trek Beyond turns out to be a hit. Let’s not forget that Vin Diesel wants him to return to Fast and Furious for the last film in the franchise.

Warner Bros. Wants 'Star Trek Beyond' Director Justin Lin to Helm the Live-Action ‘Akira’ Adaptation

So he can turn also series into fast and furious?

Hollywood is so fucking out of touch

Back