Live-Action AKIRA v.2 (Set for 2021 Release; Thor: Ragnarok's Taika Waititi to Direct)

Nice another movie based on asian characters with the entire cast whitewashed, I wonder how they are going to get around the fact that the name of the movie is a Japanese name: "Akira", because I doubt the movie will have even one Japanese person in it, Maybe they'll change it to a western name like "John", therefore the title of the movie will simply be "John".

I don't see how it would make sense with a title like Akira if they're not even considering putting any asian people in the film.

I know, I know.. They have to whitewash it for a western audience so they can relate to the characters. Because we all know it's impossible for anyone to relate to someone else that has minor superficial differences in appearance.

Nice another movie based on asian characters with the entire cast whitewashed, I wonder how they are going to get around the fact that the name of the movie is a Japanese name: "Akira", because I doubt the movie will have even one Japanese person in it, Maybe they'll change it to a western name like "John", therefore the title of the movie will simply be "John".

I don't see how it would make sense with a title like Akira if they're not even considering putting any asian people in the film.

I know, I know.. They have to whitewash it for a western audience so they can relate to the characters. Because we all know it's impossible for anyone to relate to someone else that has minor superficial differences in appearance.

I'm sure with some makeup and special effects, Leonardo Dicaprio could look 92% Asian.
I mean just look at all the Koreans that were in Cloud Atlas

Last edited:
The original manga was 37 THICK volumes of gorgeous art and unfolding drama. There is enough material for several trilogies. I was astounded that Otomo was able to shave the story down to the length of a single movie and still have it of such high quality.

Pretty sure you've got Akira mixed up with Berserk. Akira is six volumes, Berserk is the one with 37 (currently). Akira could be done fairly well in two 2.5hr films. Though I have major doubts that this project will be anything but an abomination, regardless of Nolan's possible involvement.

If they fuck this up like they did with Attack on Titan, I'll.......convert to Islam or become a vegan or something, in protest.

I'm sure with some makeup and special effects, Leonardo Decaprio could look 92% Asian.
I mean just look at all the Koreans that were in Cloud Atlas

At this point nothing would surprise me, the asian makeup they used in Cloud Atlas was a throwback to yellowface in cinema 50 years ago, it was so bad it was eerily disturbing to look at.

I'd rather they just leave asians out of the film altogether than put Dicaprio as the white protagonist living in Japan angle, or put the asian characters as the sidekick or mentor just so they can say there's asians in the film. Just remove all Japanese elements out of the film, rename it to "John" or "Mike" and cast all white and black actors.

people like you probably rather see japanse c-class actors who can't speak proper english than DiCaprio. :rolleyes:

Replace Neo Tokyo with another generic looking cyberpunk city and there you go. not sure where the issue is, if the adaption is good.

The Attack on Titan movie was asianwashed and I saw nobody complaining about it.

Last edited:
people like you probably rather see japanse c-class actors who can't speak proper english than DiCaprio. :rolleyes:

Replace Neo Tokyo with another generic looking cyberpunk city and there you go. not sure where the issue is, if the adaption is good.

The Attack on Titan movie was asianwashed and I saw nobody complaining about it.

this. Mikasa is supposed to be like the last Asian person alive.
Have it take place in cyberpunk San Fran or LA.
Want a Japanese tie so you can have Akira, have a Japanese lead scientist(s)

Replace Neo Tokyo with another generic looking cyberpunk looking city and there you go.

The Attack on Titan movie was asianwashed and I saw nobody complain about it.

No people like me like it when they don't completely bastardize the source material. And who says they have to be Japanese c-class actors? Maybe if they stopped whitewashing every single film with asian characters there would be more asian actors who are encouraged to become great actors. It has to start somewhere.

They can use various actors of asian ethnicities who do not have accents, not every asian person has an accent. The film is called AKIRA, it is based on Japanese themes due to the post nuclear fallout in Hiroshima and Nagasaki. I'm guessing you're from thailand, I bet you would look at it a bit differently if they took one of your legendary works of fiction and completely bastardized it.

And lots people of people complain about Marvel race swapping Nick Fury, Heimdall and Johnny Storm and those were just minor characters. And theres currently a shitstorm about the next James Bond being black. Also Hollywood films are made for an international audience and originate in a country with 35% non-white populations. Japanese movies are made for a domestic audience with a 99% Japanese audience, big difference.

And all those other movies that were whitewashed ended up being critical and financial failures so there is no proof that it will be more successful because they put Dicaprio or an all white cast. You need to open your mind more and drop the pessimistic and ignorant mentality.

If Nolan's doing it, I'll bet we see Ken Watanabe in it.

Nah, fuck the scientist/mentor/sidekick BS. Just change the whole thing if they're going to go that route.

The final act of the movie really soured the whole thing for me. I just scratched my head wondering what the fuck I was seeing. Did really enjoy the setting of Neo-Tokyo, the biker gang dynamic, and everything else really.

Maybe if they stopped whitewashing every single film with asian characters there would be more asian actors who are encouraged to become great actors. It has to start somewhere.

you have a point there. asian actors having a tough time in america in bigger leading roles.

No people like me like it when they don't completely bastardize the source material.
And all those other movies that were whitewashed ended up being critical and financial failures so there is no proof that it will be more successful because they put Dicaprio or an all white cast. You need to open your mind more and drop the pessimistic and ignorant mentality.

Hollywoods adaption of 18 - year old Keiji Kiriya:

Do I have to hate this amazing movie now because they bastardized every character?

The film is called AKIRA, it is based on Japanese themes due to the post nuclear fallout in Hiroshima and Nagasaki. I'm guessing you're from thailand, I bet you would look at it a bit differently if they took one of your legendary works of fiction and completely bastardized it.

If I want an copy cat adaption of something I'd rather just read the original.

you have a point there. asian actors having a tough time in america in bigger leading roles.

Hollywoods adaption of 18- year old Keiji Kiriya:

Do I have to hate this amazing film now because they bastardized every character?

If I want an copy cat adaption of something I'd rather just read the original.

Honestly, if it was just this one time then I wouldn't care. But lately it's been happening with every single film featuring asian characters.

And some of it makes no sense, eg The Last Airbender: the original characters have asian names, asian clothes, asian setting, asian culture yet the actors are white?

Even if they cast asians half the time, ok fine. but that's not the case, they do this every single time, that's what bothers me about it. Cool, whitewash the Tom Cruise film, maybe a few others too, but at least cast an asian as the main lead in one of the following: Airbender, Dragonball, Akira, Ghost in the Shell, I'd even be satisfied with a 50/50 split.

These hollywood executives are so narrow minded and don't give western audiences enough credit, western audiences and fans of some of those popular series were the most vocal against the casting choices and race swapping in some of those films.

As much as I hate the idea of it being done live action, I can't think of another director that could do it as much justice as Nolan.

The original manga was 37 THICK volumes of gorgeous art and unfolding drama. There is enough material for several trilogies. I was astounded that Otomo was able to shave the story down to the length of a single movie and still have it of such high quality.

bighero6_01-620x303.jpg

Back