Ajit Pai gets award from nra for saving the internet for some reason

Joe

:l
@Gold
Reaction score
Ajit Pai got an award from the nra courage award last weekend for saving the internet and protecting free speech.
getty-ajit-pai-cpac-800x534.jpg

The National Rifle Association (NRA) today gave its Charlton Heston Courage Under Fire Award to Ajit Pai, chairman of the Federal Communications Commission.

Pai was about to speak at the Conservative Political Action Conference (CPAC) in Maryland when the award presentation seemed to catch him by surprise. The award is a handmade long gun that could not be brought on stage, so it will be housed in the NRA museum until Pai can receive it.

"Ajit Pai, as you probably already know, saved the Internet," American Conservative Union (ACU) Executive Director Dan Schneider told the audience. The ACU is the host of CPAC; Schneider made a few more remarks praising Pai before handing the award presentation over to NRA board member Carolyn Meadows.

Pai "fought to preserve your free speech rights" as a member of the FCC's Republican minority during the Obama administration, Schneider said. Pai "fought and won against all odds, but the Obama administration had some curveballs and they implemented these regulations to take over the Internet."

"As soon as President Trump came into office, President Trump asked Ajit Pai to liberate the Internet and give it back to you," Schneider added. "Ajit Pai is the most courageous, heroic person that I know."

After Schneider spoke, Meadows told Pai that "the Charlton Heston Courage Under Fire award is sponsored by the National Rifle Association" in honor of the former NRA president, and it's not given every year. It is only awarded "when someone has stood up under pressure with grace and dignity and principled discipline," she said.

Previous awardees included Rush Limbaugh, Phyllis Schlafly, Vice President Mike Pence, Roy Innis, and Sheriff David Clarke, she said.

"We are honored to have you as part of this distinguished pantheon," Meadows told Pai.

"Thank you ma'am, I really appreciate it," Pai responded.
https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy...d-and-gun-for-saving-the-internet/?comments=1

Is it like, a joke award of some kind?

What did he do that liberated the internet?
he repealed net neutrality rules, allowing Verizon, Comcast, and the rest to do as they please with internet fast lanes, throttling content that competes with their subsidiaries, charging Netflix for the privilege of accessing their customers, etc.

he repealed net neutrality rules, allowing Verizon, Comcast, and the rest to do as they please with internet fast lanes, throttling content that competes with their subsidiaries, charging Netflix for the privilege of accessing their customers, etc.

So... it is a joke award? Does the NRA just not care how it's viewed by the public?

"He freed the internet.... from the constraints of being designed to help people."

I honestly thought this shit would only happen in the realm of satire. But apparently that's where we all live now.

Please tell me this is satire? NRA is in bed with Republicans as much as Republicans are in bed with NRA if NRA if handing out awards for the fact that Comcast can force now force certain companies to pay extra for usable bandwith so that I as a consumer can steam/visit their service

So... it is a joke award? Does the NRA just not care how it's viewed by the public?

"He freed the internet.... from the constraints of being designed to help people."

I honestly thought this shit would only happen in the realm of satire. But apparently that's where we all live now.
It definitely exposed the NRA as being a purely partisan organization in this day and age. What does 2nd amendment advocacy have to do with ISPs being able to mess with the internet in order to get paid multiple times to do the same thing? (I pay for internet to watch Netflix, Verizon charges Netflix to not throttle their content to 360p, Verizon sells my internet viewing / usage history to ad companies)

I'm not even kidding about that getting paid 3 or 4 times to do the same thing they've been doing, that is blatantly and admittedly their goal

It definitely exposed the NRA as being a purely partisan organization in this day and age. What does 2nd amendment advocacy have to do with ISPs being able to mess with the internet in order to get paid multiple times to do the same thing? (I pay for internet to watch Netflix, Verizon charges Netflix to not throttle their content to 360p, Verizon sells my internet viewing / usage history to ad companies)

I'm not even kidding about that getting paid 3 or 4 times to do the same thing they've been doing, that is blatantly and admittedly their goal

It almost feels like at this point they're just trying to piss people off.

Repealing net-neutrality being a big thing for gun advocacy makes absolutely no sense, in any regard. And I'm sure a very large subsection of gun-owners are gonna be completely against the repeal. So why do they even bother? Go tell everyone on the NRA forums that they'll have to pay to use it every time, and let's see how excited they are.

I can't figure this out from any direction. It's simply an illogical and unintelligent thing to do if you're the NRA. Unless you're trying to announce your only goal is whatever republicans and corporations want it to be, why even do this? It's almost like they're saying "fuck it, we're evil. Watch us kill this kitten now..."

Just goes to show how its all interconnected. What does the NRA have to do with Net Neutrality? The same group of oligarchs trying to find oligarchy.

You mean the people in charge of the NRA are morons who don't understand issues? Or, alternatively, are not morons and are just shamelessly corrupt and obsequious to giant conglomerates, and don't give two shits about the interests of their constituents?

Well, my stars and stripes, I can't believe it.

...Previous awardees included Rush Limbaugh, Phyllis Schlafly, Vice President Mike Pence, Roy Innis, and Sheriff David Clarke, she said...

This asshole is in good company.

Back