AJ McKee vs Justin Lawrence Booked For Bellator 196 Co Main Event

Discussion in 'Worldwide MMA Discussion' started by CC27, Feb 7, 2018.

1. CC27

CC27 Gold Belt

http://mmajunkie.com/2018/02/bellator-aj-mckee-justin-lawrence-co-headliner-primus-vs-chandler-2

A featherweight bout between A.J. McKee and Justin Lawrence will serve as the co-main event for Bellator’s April fight card in Missouri.

Bellator officials tonight told MMAjunkie of the matchup between McKee (10-0 MMA, 10-0 BMMA) and Lawrence (11-4 MMA, 4-2 BMMA) at the to-be-numbered event, which takes place Apr. 13 at The Family Arena in St. Charles. Mo. It airs on Paramount following prelims streamed on MMAjunkie.

Related
    Bellator 187 post-event facts: A.J. McKee sets record with 10th consecutive Bellator win
    McKee, 22, is unbeaten and owner of the longest winning streak in Bellator history. He’s made all 10 of his career appearances with the organization and has won all of those fights. “The Mercenary” has finished seven of his opponents along the way, including a third-round submission of Brian Moore in November’s Bellator 187 headliner.

Lawrence will try to make good on the most significance matchup of his Bellator tenure thus far. “The American Kid” will bring a two-fight winning streak into the matchup and has won seven of his past nine bouts overall.

The latest “Bellator: Primus vs. Chandler 2” card now includes:

• Brent Primus vs. Michael Chandler – for lightweight title
    • A.J. McKee vs. Justin Lawrence

Meathead Jock likes this.
  2. CC27

CC27 Gold Belt

I'm good with this fight, he's finally getting a step up to the mid level of the div now. Win here and then maybe you get one of the top guys.

3. CountOfSoCal

CountOfSoCal Black Belt

Beat me to it!

I share your opinion, I love the fight, and its time for AJ to finally take that next step that they've been grooming him for.

CC27 likes this.
  4. AGEZ909

AGEZ909 Brown Belt

this is a solid fight. Mckee has all the talent in the world, but his form starts to suffer as he starts to gas. this was apparent in his last fight in Ireland. he started getting tagged as he started to slow. he could get away with it now, but it could cost him in the future if he doesn't work on the technical part of the game.

this is a good fight and a step up for Mckee. if he win, he is pretty much primed for a title shot. weichel needs his shot, then someone like curran, sanchez, mckee. this division is the healthiest out of all of bellator's division imo.

they really need to book pitbull vs weichel already.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
  5. Falconkick

Falconkick A charming asshole

I love this, rooting for Lawrence personally.

6. FKA

FKA THAT BELLATOR GUY/FUCK YOU GRUDEN!!

As much as I love the McKee vs Gallagher fight im soooooo glad they are building both guys first.

Imo McKee is ahead in the pecking order anyway but with a solid performance and win against a good mid tier guy like Lawrence will elevate him to fighting top guys.

I certainly hope Gallagher keeps his trajectory to the top and elevate the level of his opponents as well.

Go Go Plata likes this.
  7. CC27

CC27 Gold Belt

Sanchez would be next contender after Weichel with the wins he has. Not sure who he fights next but Aj would need to win this and then one or two more before he got a shot.

Could do Sanchez/Curran 2 for a title shot after Weichel.

8. Meathead Jock

Meathead Jock WAR ASKREN

[​IMG]

mime likes this.
  9. AGEZ909

AGEZ909 Brown Belt

i think weichel is long overdue for his title shot.

i would like to avoid rematches if possible. if it isn't weichel, give sanchez the title shot and book mckee vs weichel. curran has only fought once since his return. does he really deserve a title shot based on his name? he could fight one of the new European signings.

10. ChangeIsComing

ChangeIsComing Brown Belt

People calling Lawrence mid tier must be judging that on a few bad performances and not his skill level or ceiling...I feel he he still is a hot prospect at 27 and should not be labelled as a stepping stone for AJ...who I feel is overrated.

But great to find out where both are at or could be at in the near future.

Meathead Jock likes this.
  11. CC27

CC27 Gold Belt

Weichel has to be next. He's earned it.

But I said after that you have Curran and Sanchez on win streaks and they could fight again for a title shot. Aj with a win here wouldnt be in a title shot position yet. He'd need one or two more wins first.

Also Cub could sign and he'd be a top contender, probably wouldnt get a title shot since he just lost his last fight but he could fight Sanchez for a title shot.

That could give AJ a chance at a big name like Curran. If Curran/Sanchez did fight again you could do Aj vs Georgi or Macapa.

But he has to win this first.

AGEZ909 and Falconkick like this.
  12. CC27

CC27 Gold Belt

Dont think he's bad and not saying he cant/wont win this fight but he's not a top fighter, he's not a hot prospect anymore. He is being used as a stepping stone here.

FKA and Go Go Plata like this.
  13. AGEZ909

AGEZ909 Brown Belt

we are on the same page with respect to weichel.

id bet money that cub goes to bellator, but i cant throw him in the mix until its official.

i wouldnt be mad if mckee got a title shot if he beats justin, but i wouldnt be mad if he didnt. he could fight a curran(curran would most likely smash him)

think georgi is a free agent. idk if he signs or not.

they could also do macapa vs rogers/crawford(two new UK signings)

i wish i could throw straus in the mix, but he still needs to heal up from his motorcycle accident.

14. CC27

CC27 Gold Belt

Aj getting a title shot for beating Justin Lawrence would be crazy. He needs to beat a Sanchez, Straus, Curran after this to justify a title shot.

Go Go Plata likes this.
  15. SaigeVanZant

SaigeVanZant Yellow Card Yellow Card

Lawrence isn't very good. Easy win for AJ imo. I think they should've given him Curran.

16. Go Go Plata

Go Go Plata Black Belt

I don't know if it will be easy. I think it will be similar to AJs last fight where he will face difficulty but he is good at finding ways to win.

17. KeeSmyth

KeeSmyth Brown Belt

If aj wins this fight then he should get Curran next

18. tehMoose

tehMoose Brown Belt

war aj!

19. Go Go Plata

Go Go Plata Black Belt

Curran would light him up on the feet and the ground. I'd watch

AGEZ909 likes this.
  20. AGEZ909

AGEZ909 Brown Belt

curran would destroy mckee. aj has talent, but he needs to repair the technical holes in his game. curran is too sound for him.

Falconkick and Go Go Plata like this.