Aikido VS MMA Sparring - MMA Coach's Thoughts

I'm happy calling myself a martial artist and calling people who compete in grappling "athletes" and people that compete in striking "fighters."

I don't feel like I need a different title from the Akidoka. We can both be called "Martial Artist." If you don't compete, you don't compete. I think my martial arts work because I largely do the things fighters do, hang out with fighters and spar with fighters. When I train with people who don't fight, we are all still sparring and largely doing moves that work in MMA.

That's not really different than an Akidoka claiming he knows his martial arts work because "armies train them" or "samurai created them," or whatever. It is still second hand knowledge at best, proven by other people.

I'm thankful that I can learn working martial arts from people that figured it out the hard way, but I don't think I need a special term that means, "I work out hard, not as hard as a fighter but certainly harder and deserve extra respect when compared to the Akidoka." My self esteem isn't that low.

I am sorry that there are people who are so given to fantasy that they can be wrong about every aspect of a topic on which you can watch live footage of real events. That's rough, but we all know when someone is sticking their head in the sand and when they aren't. You don't have to even drive the point that hard.

"Come spar."

"No. My moves are too deadly."

They might say that, to save face and to protect their sense of safety and belonging, but they know, and I know, that they are afraid. Isn't that enough?

Fighters and Athletes are still martial artists. I'm not taking away anything from them. I think being thought of as an athlete or as a fighter - or as a soldier or veteran for that matter - as an additional honor on top of being a martial artist, and honors that are much greater.

Aikido guys should start carrying swords. It'd probably make them more effective.

Aikido guys should start carrying swords. It'd probably make them more effective.

I'm willing to bet that Aikidoka could find ways to make even swords ineffective ...

WeatherMan06.jpg

LOL, U know Sherdog is a deserted wasteland when.

Threads from 2006 r in the current top 5 and....

RAGE with another angry elf thread...

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

LOL!

In not angry just posting whst anothwe Mma coach has posted about the día usted vid... You could always write to him and tell him about your lethal tkd and akido style... I'm quite sure he'll shit his pants...

"In not angry just posting whst anothwe Mma coach has posted about the día usted vid... You could always write to him and tell him about your lethal tkd and akido style... I'm quite sure he'll shit his pants..."

WTF is this gobbly gook U wrote?

Calm down...Take a few breaths...Try to write anything that resembles the English language....

Dude U have zero game!

LOL!

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

"In not angry just posting whst anothwe Mma coach has posted about the día usted vid... You could always write to him and tell him about your lethal tkd and akido style... I'm quite sure he'll shit his pants..."

WTF is this gobbly gook U wrote?

Calm down...Take a few breaths...Try to write anything that resembles the English language....

Dude U have zero game!

LOL!

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

To be fair that was actually hard to read, not easy when up have 3 different lenguages in your cell...

I'm happy calling myself a martial artist and calling people who compete in grappling "athletes" and people that compete in striking "fighters."

I don't feel like I need a different title from the Akidoka. We can both be called "Martial Artist." If you don't compete, you don't compete. I think my martial arts work because I largely do the things fighters do, hang out with fighters and spar with fighters. When I train with people who don't fight, we are all still sparring and largely doing moves that work in MMA.

That's not really different than an Akidoka claiming he knows his martial arts work because "armies train them" or "samurai created them," or whatever. It is still second hand knowledge at best, proven by other people.

I'm thankful that I can learn working martial arts from people that figured it out the hard way, but I don't think I need a special term that means, "I work out hard, not as hard as a fighter but certainly harder and deserve extra respect when compared to the Akidoka." My self esteem isn't that low.

I am sorry that there are people who are so given to fantasy that they can be wrong about every aspect of a topic on which you can watch live footage of real events. That's rough, but we all know when someone is sticking their head in the sand and when they aren't. You don't have to even drive the point that hard.

"Come spar."

"No. My moves are too deadly."

They might say that, to save face and to protect their sense of safety and belonging, but they know, and I know, that they are afraid. Isn't that enough?

Fighters and Athletes are still martial artists. I'm not taking away anything from them. I think being thought of as an athlete or as a fighter - or as a soldier or veteran for that matter - as an additional honor on top of being a martial artist, and honors that are much greater.

Nothing less martial arts in my opinion than spending years training some delusional BS that doesn't work, and may not even get you in shape. Even worse if you have to adopt heavy cognitive dissonance to avoid having to consider that possibility.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kilgorevontrouty
Back